How to solve the integral of Sech^5(x)*Csch(x) dx?

In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of sech^5(x)*csch(x) dx and the attempt at a solution includes breaking up the problem and using substitution, but leads to a complicated solution. The hint suggests using a substitution similar to how one would integrate sin^5(x)*cos(x). After some discussion, it is suggested to try u = sinh(x) and use partial fractions to simplify the integral.
Crush1986

Homework Statement

integral of Sech^5(x)*Csch(x) dx

Homework Equations

I think Coth^2(x)-1 = Csch^2(x) may help

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a few things. The latest being breaking the problem up and doing some re-working.

int(Sech^2(x)*Sech^3(x)*Csch(x) dx) I then multiplied the whole expression by Sinh^3(x)/Sinh^3(x) to get
int(Sech^2(x)*tanh^3(x)*Csch^4(x) dx)
I then got rid of the Csch^4 by breaking it up into two (Coth(x)^2-1)'s and multiplying the tanh^3(x) term through to end up with
int(Sech^2(x)*tanh(x)*(coth^2(x)+tanh^2(x) dx)

I think I just made a huge mess and probably some mistakes...

I was doing really well through two books worth of problems until this one :s, one of the very last ones lol.

If I could get some guidance or a little hint to move me toward a better understanding of the technique needed here I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A hint: how would you do ##\int \sin^5x \cos x \,dx##? The easy way is make a substitution...

AlephZero said:
A hint: how would you do ##\int \sin^5x \cos x \,dx##? The easy way is make a substitution...

That one I see easy. U substitution. U would be sinx and du would be cosx. So it'd be 1/6sin^6(x)+C. I don't see an obvious sub here though.

I was trying to create one with tanh(x) and sech(x) functions, but think I was going down a wrong path.

Am I missing some connection here? It seems like sech and csch just don't have an obvious sub to me.

The 1/coshx and 1/sinhx I do see. But I get like an inverse du. I don't know how to deal with that.

Try ##u = \sinh x##.

vela said:
Try ##u = \sinh x##.

I tried this last night, I must be missing the obvious.

So ok, u= sinhx, du would be coshx dx

I then have the integral of 1/u but I don't see how to incorporate the du?

I'm guessing there is just some reworking of the du to make this work that I'm not seeing. I have a 1/cosh^5(x) in the problem and a du = to cosh(x) dx.

Oh, sorry, I meant ##u = \cosh x##.

EDIT: Actually, I think you can get it to work either way.

If you use ##u = \sinh x##, you get ##du = \cosh x\,dx##, so ##dx = \text{sech } x\, du##. So
$$\int \text{sech}^5 x \text{ csch } x \,dx = \int \text{sech}^6 x\ u^{-1}\,du.$$ Now you just need to write ##\text{sech}^6 x## in terms of ##u##.

Last edited:
vela said:

I'm Sure I tried this too.

So U = cosh(x) du = sinh(x) dx

Gives me integral of 1/u^5 and again I'm not sure what do do with the du. So in the integral I have a 1/sinh(x) and the du is equal to sinh(x) dx. I just don't see how you work the du in there.

vela said:

EDIT: Actually, I think you can get it to work either way.

If you use ##u = \sinh x##, you get ##du = \cosh x\,dx##, so ##dx = \text{sech } x\, du##. So
$$\int \text{sech}^5 x \text{ csch } x \,dx = \int \text{sech}^6 x\ u^{-1}\,du.$$ Now you just need to write ##\text{sech}^6 x## in terms of ##u##.

Ohhhhhh I see that now... Ok going to really study this and try to find similar problems to work on too.

My idea was
$$\begin{aligned} & \int \text{sech}^5 x\, \text{csch}\, x\, dx\\
=& \int \dfrac{dx}{\cosh^5 x \sinh x}\\
=& \int \dfrac{\sinh x\,dx}{\cosh^5 x \sinh^2 x}\end{aligned}$$
Then let ##u = \cosh x## and you get to something you an integrate using partial fractions.

Well, I thought I could take it from there, I'm still unable to express the whole thing in terms on only U and no X's... I am just not getting this one problem lol. the -1's are just throwing me off when I'm trying to do both terms. I can express one just fine but when it comes to the other I'm just NOT seeing it...

:( sorry, I just don't get this one.

Crush1986 said:
Well, I thought I could take it from there, I'm still unable to express the whole thing in terms on only U and no X's... I am just not getting this one problem lol. the -1's are just throwing me off when I'm trying to do both terms. I can express one just fine but when it comes to the other I'm just NOT seeing it...

:( sorry, I just don't get this one.

I would try following AlephZero's lead. I find it easier to think about sinh and cosh than about sech and csch.

Dick said:
I would try following AlephZero's lead. I find it easier to think about sinh and cosh than about sech and csch.

I do too. We haven't gotten to partial fractions though. So I should probably solve it by U-substitution. I just can't get an integral that is completely in terms of U and in a U*du form of any type. It just doesn't come to me.

Are you sure the problem isn't to integrate sech5 x tanh x? I don't think you can do this with just a simple substitution.

vela said:
Are you sure the problem isn't to integrate sech5 x tanh x? I don't think you can do this with just a simple substitution.

I'm thinking the instructor skipped this problem in this section for that reason now. He wants us to master U substitution. He said he'd pick problems from these sections, hopefully he doesn't do this one. I found the answer online and it is a monster kind of...

The instructions in the book do say to use one of the identities but yah.. It looked way more involved than that.

vela said:

No it's Cschx I found a way to do it with 2 subs and starting off like alpha said. I did need to do some partial fractions.

I got 1/4sech^4(x) - 1/2 sech^2(x) + 1/2(ln(tanh^2(x)) + C

That was with starting at

Sinh(x)/(cosh^5(x)sinh^2(x)) u= coshx du= sinhx

So I had 1/(u^5(u^2-1)) du then subbed v for u^2 so dv =2u du

Got 1/v^3(v-1) did partial fractions.

Last edited:
Looks like you have a sign error somewhere. The sech^2 term should be positive as well.

Related to How to solve the integral of Sech^5(x)*Csch(x) dx?

1. What is the formula for the integral of sech^5x*cschx dx?

The formula for the integral of sech^5x*cschx dx is ∫ sech^5x*cschx dx = -1/4 sech^3x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of sech^5x*cschx dx?

To solve the integral of sech^5x*cschx dx, you can use the substitution method by letting u = sechx and du = -sechxtanhx dx. This will reduce the integral to ∫ u^4 du, which can be easily integrated using the power rule.

3. Is there a shortcut or trick to solving this integral?

Yes, there is a shortcut or trick to solving the integral of sech^5x*cschx dx. You can use the reduction formula for integrals of the form ∫ sech^nx dx, which is ∫ sech^nx dx = (1/2(n-1))sech^(n-2)x tanhx + (n-2)/2(n-1)∫ sech^(n-2)x dx. By using this formula twice, you can reduce the integral of sech^5x*cschx dx to ∫ sechx dx, which can be easily integrated.

4. Can this integral be solved using any other methods?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using integration by parts. By letting u = sech^4x and dv = cschx dx, the integral can be reduced to ∫ sech^4x tanhx dx, which can then be solved using the reduction formula mentioned in the previous question.

5. What are some real-life applications of this type of integral?

The integral of sech^5x*cschx dx has various applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the fields of electricity and magnetism. It is used in the calculation of the electric potential of a charged particle in a certain region, as well as in the calculation of the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying wire. It is also used in signal processing and data analysis, as well as in the study of fluid dynamics.