Integral of absolute value of a Fourier transform

In summary: Thank you so much for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating an integral involving the expression |Y(f)|^2, where Y(f) is defined as a sum involving various constants and frequencies. The individual steps of the derivation are outlined, including the use of the delta function and the final solution is presented as a proportional expression involving the sum of the square of the constants and the frequencies.
Mik256

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

I am going to calculate the following integral:
$$\int_0^{f_c+f_m} |Y(f)|^2\, df$$ where:$$Y(f)=\frac{\pi}{2} \alpha_m \sum_{l=1}^{L} \sqrt{g_l}\left [ e^{-j(\omega \tau_l - \theta_m)} \delta(\omega - \omega_0) + e^{-j(\omega \tau_l + \theta_m)} \delta(\omega + \omega_0) \right ] $$

with ##\omega_0= 2\pi (f_c + f_m), \ \ \alpha_m=constant, \ \ f_c,f_m: frequencies, \ \ \theta_m: initial \ phase ##.

2. Homework Equations
Then, the integral weare looking for will get the following form:

$$ \int_0^{f_c+f_m} |Y(f)|^2 df= \int_o^{f_c + f_m} (\pi \alpha_m)^2 \Big|\sum_{l=1}^L \sqrt{g_l}e^{-j \omega \tau_l} \Big|^2 cos^2[2 \pi (f_c + f_m) + \theta_m]df =\\
(\pi \alpha_m)^2\int_0^{f_c+f_m} \sum_{l=1}^L g_l e^{-2j \omega \tau_l} \Big[cos^2[2 \pi (f_c + f_m) + \theta_m]\Big]df =\\
(\pi \alpha_m)^2 \Big(\sum_{l=1}^L g_l e^{-j2(2\pi) \tau_l}\Big) \Big[cos^2[2 \pi (f_c + f_m) +\theta_m] \Big] \int_0^{f_c+f_m}e^f df $$[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using a delta's Dirac property: ##\delta(\omega - \omega_0)f(\omega)= f(\omega - \omega_0)## (please correct me if it is wrong, because I have doubts about it), I got:$$Y(f)=\frac{\pi}{2} \alpha_m \sum_{l=1}^{L} \sqrt{g_l}\left [ e^{-j[(\omega - \omega_0 )\tau_l - \theta_m)]} + e^{-j[(\omega - \omega_0) \tau_l + \theta_m)]} \right ] =\\
=\frac{\pi}{2} \alpha_m \sum_{l=1}^{L} \sqrt{g_l} e^{-j \omega \tau_l} \left [ e^{j(\omega_0\tau_l + \theta_m)} + e^{-j( \omega_0 \tau_l + \theta_m)]} \right ] =\\
=(\pi \alpha_m) \Big(\sum_{l=1}^{L} \sqrt{g_l} e^{-j \omega \tau_l} \Big) cos [2 \pi (f_c + f_m)\tau_l + \theta_m]$$

So, finally:

$$ |Y(f)|^2=(\pi \alpha_m)^2 \Big|\sum_{l=1}^L \sqrt{g_l}e^{-j \omega \tau_l} \Big|^2 cos^2[2 \pi (f_c + f_m) + \theta_m]$$.Being ## \int_0^{f_c+f_m}e^f df = e^{f_c+f_m} - 1\approx e^{f_c+f_m} ##, then:$$\int_0^{f_c+f_m} |Y(f)|^2 df= (\pi \alpha_m)^2 \Big(\sum_{l=1}^L g_l e^{-j4 \pi (f_c + f_m) \tau_l}\Big) \Big[cos^2[2 \pi (f_c + f_m) +\theta_m] \Big]$$

My supervisor told me I am supposed to find a solution proportional to: ##\Big|\sum_{l=1}^L \sqrt{g_l}e^{j 2 \pi (f_c + f_m)\tau_l} \Big|^2##.

Could you please help me to find the right solution and where the error is?

Thank you so much for your help, I would really appreciate that![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Mik256 said:
##\delta(\omega-\omega_0)f(\omega)=f(\omega)##
This is not correct, it should be ##\int_0^{\infty} d\omega \delta(\omega-\omega_0)f(\omega)=f(\omega_0)##
Are you sure that the upper limit should be ##f_c+f_m##?
Because in that case both the delta function will give zero.

eys_physics said:
This is not correct, it should be ##\int_0^{\infty} d\omega \delta(\omega-\omega_0)f(\omega)=f(\omega_0)##
Are you sure that the upper limit should be ##f_c+f_m##?
Because in that case both the delta function will give zero.

Yes I am sure about it. Could you briefly explain me why I will get zero?

And, if you had an idea to solve it, would you be so kind to sketch me a solution?

Thanks for your help!

The statement I gave concerning the delta function in my previous post. The way to treat the delta function is to use (see https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/342743/delta-dirac-function-integral) :
##\delta(x)=1/(2\pi)\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} e^{inx}##
and thus

##\delta(\omega-\omega_0)=1/(2\pi)\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} e^{in(\omega-\omega_0)},##
##\delta(\omega+\omega_0)=1/(2\pi)\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} e^{in(\omega+\omega_0)}.##

I cannot give you the complete solution according to the rules of this forum. But, if you need more help please tell where at the derivation you are stuck.

Alright, this is my attempt of solution:

$$ Y(f)=\frac{\pi}{2} \alpha_m \sum_{l=1}^{L} \sqrt{g_l}\left [ e^{-j(\omega \tau_l - \theta_m)} \delta(\omega - \omega_0) + e^{-j(\omega \tau_l + \theta_m)} \delta(\omega + \omega_0) \right ] $$

$$ \int_0^{f_c+f_m} |Y(f)|^2df= \Big(\frac{\pi}{2} \alpha_m\Big)^2 \int_0^{f_c+f_m} \Big| \sum_{l=1}^{L} \sqrt{g_l}\left [ e^{-j(\omega \tau_l - \theta_m)} \delta(\omega - \omega_0) + e^{-j(\omega \tau_l + \theta_m)} \delta(\omega + \omega_0) \right ] \Big|^2 df = $$

$$= \Big(\frac{\pi}{2} \alpha_m\Big)^2 \sum_{l=1}^{L} {g_l} \int_0^{f_c+f_m} \left [ \Big( e^{-j(\omega \tau_l - \theta_m)} \delta(\omega - \omega_0) \Big)^2 + \Big( e^{-j(\omega \tau_l + \theta_m)} \delta(\omega + \omega_0) \Big)^2 +\underbrace{2 \Big| e^{-j(\omega \tau_l - \theta_m)} e^{-j(\omega \tau_l + \theta_m)}\delta(\omega - \omega_0)\delta(\omega + \omega_0)}_{=0} \Big| \right ] df $$

The last term is equal to zero because I have the multiplication of 2 delta; then:

$$ \int_0^{f_c+f_m} |Y(f)|^2df = \Big(\frac{\pi}{2} \alpha_m\Big)^2 \sum_{l=1}^{L} {g_l} \Big[ \int_0^{f_c+f_m} \Big( e^{-j(\omega \tau_l - \theta_m)} \delta(\omega - \omega_0)\Big)^2 df + \int_0^{f_c+f_m} \Big(e^{-j(\omega \tau_l + \theta_m)} \delta(\omega + \omega_0) \Big) ^2 df \Big] = $$

$$\Big(\frac{\pi}{2} \alpha_m\Big)^2 \sum_{l=1}^{L} {g_l} \Big[ \Big|e^{-j(\omega_0 \tau_l - \theta_m)} \Big|^2 + \Big| e^{j(\omega_0 \tau_l - \theta_m)} \Big|^2 \Big] $$

Finally: $$ \int_0^{f_c+f_m} |Y(f)|^2df= \Big(\frac{\pi}{2} \alpha_m\Big)^2 \sum_{l=1}^{L} {g_l} \Big( \Big|e^{-j(2 \pi (f_c+f_m) \tau_l - \theta_m)} \Big|^2 + \Big| e^{j(2 \pi (f_c+f_m) \tau_l - \theta_m)} \Big|^2 \Big) $$

Could it be the right solution or is there anything wrong?

Related to Integral of absolute value of a Fourier transform

1. What is the purpose of taking the integral of the absolute value of a Fourier transform?

The integral of the absolute value of a Fourier transform is used to measure the total energy or power in a signal. It is a way to quantify the strength or magnitude of a signal's frequencies.

2. How is the integral of the absolute value of a Fourier transform calculated?

The integral is calculated by taking the absolute value of the Fourier transform and then integrating it over the entire frequency domain. This can be done analytically or numerically using software or by hand.

3. Does the integral of the absolute value of a Fourier transform have any physical significance?

Yes, it represents the total energy or power in a signal. This can be useful in applications such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

4. Can the integral of the absolute value of a Fourier transform be negative?

No, the absolute value ensures that the integral is always positive. However, the value itself can be large or small depending on the characteristics of the signal.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integral of the absolute value of a Fourier transform?

One limitation is that it may not accurately represent the energy or power in non-stationary signals, as it only considers the instantaneous frequency components. Additionally, it cannot differentiate between positive and negative frequencies, which may be important in some applications.