Integral of Polar Curve

In summary: If you look at the picture, you see that the region we want is bounded by the curve for θ from 0 to π and by a line from the origin to the end of the curve. That line, starting at the origin has angle θ from the positive x-axis. That line has length 2-cosθ. The area of the triangle is (1/2)(2-cosθ)(r)(dθ)= (1/2)(2-cosθ)(rdθ). Integrating that from θ= 0 to θ= π gives the area of the region from 0 to π. Then we need to double that to get the area from 0 to 2
syeh

Homework Statement

The graph of the polar curve r=2-cosΘ for 0≤θ≤2pi is shown in the figure. (attached)

a) write an integral expression for the area of the region inside the curve

b) write expressions for dx/dΘ and dy/dΘ in terms of Θ

c) find dy/dx as a function of Θ

d) write an equation in terms of x and y for the line tangent to the graph of the polar curve at the point where Θ=pi/2. show the work that lead to your answer.

Homework Equations

to find are under a curve you find integral under the curve

The Attempt at a Solution

the solutions are:
a) 2*(1/2) ∫(0 to pi) (2-cosΘ)2

b) dx/dΘ = -2sinΘ + 2(cosΘ)(sinΘ)

dy/dΘ = 2cosΘ-cos2Θ + sin2Θ

c) dy/dx = (2cosΘ-cos2Θ +sin2θ) / (-2sinθ + 2(cosθ)(sinθ))So, i tried part A but could not figure out the area of the region because if you did a regular integral of ∫(2-cosθ), according to the graph the region above and below the x-axis would cancel out, resulting in an answer of 0.
i understand that you might have to change the equation into a semi-circle by multiplying 1/2 then later have to undo that by multiplying by 2.
i don't understand why they took (2-cosθ) and squared it...? also why the limits of integration are 0 to pi, not 0 to 2pi?

Attachments

• polarplot.gif
    polarplot.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
syeh said:

Homework Statement

The graph of the polar curve r=2-cosΘ for 0≤θ≤2pi is shown in the figure. (attached)

a) write an integral expression for the area of the region inside the curve

b) write expressions for dx/dΘ and dy/dΘ in terms of Θ

c) find dy/dx as a function of Θ

d) write an equation in terms of x and y for the line tangent to the graph of the polar curve at the point where Θ=pi/2. show the work that lead to your answer.

Homework Equations

to find are under a curve you find integral under the curve

The Attempt at a Solution

the solutions are:
a) 2*(1/2) ∫(0 to pi) (2-cosΘ)2

b) dx/dΘ = -2sinΘ + 2(cosΘ)(sinΘ)

dy/dΘ = 2cosΘ-cos2Θ + sin2Θ

c) dy/dx = (2cosΘ-cos2Θ +sin2θ) / (-2sinθ + 2(cosθ)(sinθ))

So, i tried part A but could not figure out the area of the region because if you did a regular integral of ∫(2-cosθ), according to the graph the region above and below the x-axis would cancel out, resulting in an answer of 0.
i understand that you might have to change the equation into a semi-circle by multiplying 1/2 then later have to undo that by multiplying by 2.
i don't understand why they took (2-cosθ) and squared it...? also why the limits of integration are 0 to pi, not 0 to 2pi?
You have answered your own final question.

Do you really understand as the above statement claims? It almost answers the following.

... also why the limits of integration are 0 to pi, not 0 to 2pi?

Except that taking the limits of integration from 0 to π is what gives a semi-circle rather than multiplying by 1/2 .

it looks like to me they (for a)they just simplified.

What you want is the area here: r=2-cosΘ for 0≤θ≤2pi

What you start out with is: [itex]∫_{E}dA[/itex] Then you begin to make substitutions. and you're right, you can't do a standard integral, so you have to break your region (E) up into to parts, from 0 to pi, and from pi to 2 pi, so now we have [itex]2∫_{0}^{\pi}dA[/itex], but what is dA? In polar it's rdrdΘ.

Now what we have is [itex]2∫_{0}^{\pi}∫_{0}^{2-cos(\theta
)}rdrd\theta[/itex]
This gives you [itex]2∫_{0}^{pi}\frac{r^2}{2}d\theta|_{r=0}^{r=2-cos(\theta)}[/itex]

evaluate it and there's a)

syeh said:
I don't think that's what they did. Consider a triangle subtended at the origin by the segment of the curve starting at (r, θ) and length rdθ. What is its area?

1. What is an integral of a polar curve?

The integral of a polar curve is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a polar curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total area enclosed by a polar curve and the x-axis.

2. How do you find the integral of a polar curve?

To find the integral of a polar curve, you first need to convert the polar equation into a standard Cartesian equation. Then, you can use traditional integration techniques to find the area under the curve.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral of a polar curve?

A definite integral of a polar curve is used to find the area enclosed by a specific portion of the curve, between two given values. An indefinite integral of a polar curve is used to find the general equation for the area under the curve, without specific boundaries.

4. Can the integral of a polar curve be negative?

Yes, the integral of a polar curve can be negative. This occurs when the curve crosses the x-axis and the enclosed area is below the x-axis, resulting in a negative value for the area.

5. Are there any applications of the integral of a polar curve in real life?

Yes, the integral of a polar curve has various applications in real-life situations, such as calculating the area of a pond or lake with a circular shape, determining the volume of a cone-shaped container, or finding the center of mass for a rotating object.