Integrals with undefined bounds

If the lower limit is 0, the area is infinite, so cannot be ##\ln(2) + 1/2##In summary, the problem is to find the area enclosed by the equations y=1/x and y=1/x^2, with x=2 as the upper bound. After solving analytically and getting the correct answer, the issue arises with the lower bound value, where -ln(0)-1/0 is obtained. After checking the problem statement, it is found that the lower bound is not given and should be assumed as 1 based on the intersection of the two functions at x=1.
Cake

Homework Statement

Find the area enclosed by the equations:
[itex]y=1/x[/itex]
and
[itex]y=1/x^2[/itex]
and
[itex]x=2[/itex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved this analytically after looking at a graph of the two functions. Using integrals I got the following:
[itex]ln(2)-1/2[/itex]
Which is the correct answer. I assumed the bounds of the integral were 0 as well as 2, due to the fact that I thought I'd get infinite area if I used the whole negative x-axis for a bound. My issue is that when I was solving analytically I got:
[itex]-ln(0)-1/0[/itex]
as the lower bound value I was subtracting from the upper bound of the integral. And while I just wrote it off as something I can omit from my answer (and got the right answer anyway), I can't help but feel I'm missing something conceptually from this problem. For instance, It seemed to me at first like [itex]y=1/x^2[/itex] should have been the top function and I should subtract the area of [itex]y=1/x[/itex]. But that is apparently not the case. And I'm also not sure how I can reasonably pick 0 as the lower bound of the integral when it's undefined in the answer I got.

So where is my understanding failing me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cake said:

Homework Statement

Find the area enclosed by the equations:
[itex]y=1/x[/itex]
and
[itex]y=1/x^2[/itex]
and
[itex]x=2[/itex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So I solved this analytically after looking at a graph of the two functions. Using integrals I got the following:
[itex]ln(2)+1/2[/itex]
Which is the correct answer. I assumed the bounds of the integral were 0 as well as 2, due to the fact that I thought I'd get infinite area if I used the whole negative x-axis for a bound. My issue is that when I was solving analytically I got:
[itex]-ln(0)-1/0[/itex]
as the lower bound value I was subtracting from the upper bound of the integral. And while I just wrote it off as something I can omit from my answer (and got the right answer anyway), I can't help but feel I'm missing something conceptually from this problem. For instance, It seemed to me at first like [itex]y=1/x^2[/itex] should have been the top function and I should subtract the area of [itex]y=1/x[/itex]. But that is apparently not the case. And I'm also not sure how I can reasonably pick 0 as the lower bound of the integral when it's undefined in the answer I got.

So where is my understanding failing me?

(1) The area between ##y = 1/x## and ##y = 1/x^2## between their crossing point ##x = 1## and the given upper limit ##x = 2## is NOT ##\ln(2) + 1/2##, although it certainly has a ##\ln(2)## and a ##1/2## in it. Check your work. (BTW: if somebody tells you that answer is correct, they are mistaken.)
(2) The area between the two curves from ##x \to 0+## and ##x = 1## is infinite, either ##-\infty## or ##+\infty##, depending on how you define the sign of "between". The absolute area = ##+\infty##, so if you wanted to paint the region between the two curves, from ##x = 0## to ##x = 2## you would need an infinite amount of paint.

It the problem was stated exactly as you wrote it, there are some important missing items of information---the desired lower bound on ##x##.

Are you sure that the lower limit is not defined? Try sketching the graphs. Shouldn't ##\frac{1}{x}## and ##\frac{1}{x^2}## intersect somewhere, hence forming a finite area that must be evaluated? I'm sure you can carry on from here.

Ray Vickson said:
(1) The area between ##y = 1/x## and ##y = 1/x^2## between their crossing point ##x = 1## and the given upper limit ##x = 2## is NOT ##\ln(2) + 1/2##, although it certainly has a ##\ln(2)## and a ##1/2## in it. Check your work. (BTW: if somebody tells you that answer is correct, they are mistaken.)
Got it. I think I see where I went wrong. The lower bound should be 1. So I shouldn't have assumed it was 0. But in response to your second part, the question is written exactly as I put it. I double checked that too. So there's no indication that I should have used x=1 instead of zero. So I'm not sure how I should direct my intuition. Should I do like PWiz says and look for the intersection and just assume that's the lower or upper bound other than the x value named in the problem. Or is there something more subtle I'm missing?

Cake said:
Got it. I think I see where I went wrong. The lower bound should be 1. So I shouldn't have assumed it was 0. But in response to your second part, the question is written exactly as I put it. I double checked that too. So there's no indication that I should have used x=1 instead of zero. So I'm not sure how I should direct my intuition. Should I do like PWiz says and look for the intersection and just assume that's the lower or upper bound other than the x value named in the problem. Or is there something more subtle I'm missing?

I think you should just use x = 1 as the lower limit, with an explanation of why you are doing it. That way, the person making the problem knows that you understand the issue but have opted to make an assumption about the missing information.

Cake said:
Sketch a graph of the two functions, and note that they intersect at x = 1. The region whose area you are to find is completely bounded, so is finite.

Ray Vickson said:
I think you should just use x = 1 as the lower limit, with an explanation of why you are doing it. That way, the person making the problem knows that you understand the issue but have opted to make an assumption about the missing information.
It's not to turn in, so the only one I'm justifying this to is myself. But thanks a lot for the help.

Mark44 said:
Sketch a graph of the two functions, and note that they intersect at x = 1. The region whose area you are to find is completely bounded, so is finite.
That sums up what I thought better than how I described it. Thank you.

Thread done :D

1. What is an integral with undefined bounds?

An integral with undefined bounds is an integral that does not have specific limits of integration. This means that the integral is not evaluated over a specific interval, but rather over a general area or volume.

2. How do you solve an integral with undefined bounds?

Solving an integral with undefined bounds requires using a variable, such as x or y, as the limit of integration. This allows for the integral to be evaluated as a function of the variable, rather than a specific value.

3. Can an integral with undefined bounds have a definite value?

No, an integral with undefined bounds does not have a definite value. Since the limits of integration are not specific values, the integral cannot be evaluated to a single number.

4. What are some common examples of integrals with undefined bounds?

Integrals with undefined bounds are commonly seen in physics and engineering applications, where the area or volume being calculated is dependent on a variable. For example, calculating the work done by a variable force, or finding the volume of a cone with a variable height.

5. How are integrals with undefined bounds used in real-world applications?

Integrals with undefined bounds are used to model and solve various real-world problems, such as calculating the area under a curve in physics or determining the amount of material needed for a variable-shaped structure in engineering. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to analyze data and make predictions.