Integrate ##\int\sqrt{4+x^2} dx##

In summary: correct! i just checked...i ended up with,$$\int \sqrt{(8-4\sinh^2 u)}⋅ 2 \sinh u du$$...not looking good!
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
$$\int \sqrt{4+x^2}
dx$$
Relevant Equations
hyperbolic equations
still typing...checking latex

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a textbook question...the steps to solution are pretty easy...they indicated use of;

##x=2\sinh u## that will realize

$$\int \sqrt{4+x^2} dx=\int 2\cosh u⋅ 2\cosh u du=4\cosh^2 u du$$

...from here the steps are pretty clear up to the required solution.

Ok to my question now; Could we also use;

##x=2\cosh u## instead of ##x=2\sinh u##?

Cheers

Last edited:
chwala said:

Cheers
That doesn't look so promising to me.

PeroK said:
That doesn't look so promising to me.
I thought it will be other way round...let me try and see what comes out of it...will share later. Cheers mate.

chwala said:

No. The point is to rewrite ##\sqrt{4 + x^2} = \sqrt{4(1+\sinh^2(u))} = 2 \cosh(u)## using the hyperbolic one. If you would have attempted to use ##x = 2 \cosh(u)## instead you would have ended up with ##\sqrt{4 + x^2} = 2\sqrt{1+\cosh^2(u)}## and ##1 + \cosh^2(u)## does not have any particular simplification in terms of the hyperbolic one. If you would attempt to replace ##\cosh^2(u)## by ##\sinh^2(u)## using the hyperbolic one you would instead end up with ##2 + \sinh^2(u)##, which doesn't make you any happier.

Likes chwala
Another alternative is to use the substitution ##\tan(\theta) = \frac x 2##. This is based on drawing a right triangle with an acute angle ##\theta##, where the base is 2 and the side opposite is ##x##.

With this substitution, the integral ##\int \sqrt{x^2 + 4}~dx## becomes ##4\int \sec^3(\theta)~d\theta##, an integral so well-known there's a wikipedia article devoted to it.

Likes WWGD and chwala
Mark44 said:
Another alternative is to use the substitution ##\tan(\theta) = \frac x 2##. This is based on drawing a right triangle with an acute angle ##\theta##, where the base is 2 and the side opposite is ##x##.

With this substitution, the integral ##\int \sqrt{x^2 + 4}~dx## becomes ##4\int \sec^3(\theta)~d\theta##, an integral so well-known there's a wikipedia article devoted to it.
Thanks @Mark44 Let me study on this approach...

The picture I was describing looks like this. The hypotenuse is ##\sqrt{x^2 + 4}##.
triangle.png

Likes WWGD and chwala
Its a good rule of thumb to consider trigonometric substitutions when seeing the likes of ## \sqrt {a^2 \pm x^2}dx ##
When it's a +, consider secant, tangent;
when it's a - , consider sin, cos
Subbing ##u=ax## in each case, as
##1 \pm x^2## is " translatsble" to either of these.
Edit: Of course, consider the issue of limits of integration.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
Orodruin said:
No. The point is to rewrite ##\sqrt{4 + x^2} = \sqrt{4(1+\sinh^2(u))} = 2 \cosh(u)## using the hyperbolic one. If you would have attempted to use ##x = 2 \cosh(u)## instead you would have ended up with ##\sqrt{4 + x^2} = 2\sqrt{1+\cosh^2(u)}## and ##1 + \cosh^2(u)## does not have any particular simplification in terms of the hyperbolic one. If you would attempt to replace ##\cosh^2(u)## by ##\sinh^2(u)## using the hyperbolic one you would instead end up with ##2 + \sinh^2(u)##, which doesn't make you any happier.
correct! i just checked...i ended up with,

$$\int \sqrt{(8-4\sinh^2 u)}⋅ 2 \sinh u du$$...

not looking good!

Last edited:

1. What is the general formula for solving integrals involving square roots?

The general formula for solving integrals involving square roots is to use the substitution method. This involves substituting a variable for the expression inside the square root, and then solving the integral using the new variable.

2. How do I solve the integral ##\int\sqrt{4+x^2} dx## using the substitution method?

To solve the integral ##\int\sqrt{4+x^2} dx## using the substitution method, let ##u = 4 + x^2##. This means that ##du = 2x dx##. Substitute these values into the integral, giving ##\int\frac{\sqrt{u}}{2x} du##. Simplify this expression and solve the integral using basic integration rules.

3. Can I use trigonometric substitution to solve this integral?

Yes, you can use trigonometric substitution to solve ##\int\sqrt{4+x^2} dx##. Let ##x = 2\tan\theta##, which means that ##dx = 2\sec^2\theta d\theta##. Substitute these values into the integral and use trigonometric identities to simplify and solve the integral.

4. Is there a shortcut method for solving this integral?

Yes, there is a shortcut method for solving ##\int\sqrt{4+x^2} dx##. You can use the inverse hyperbolic sine function, ##\sinh^{-1}(x)##, to solve this integral. Let ##x = 2\sinh(u)##, which means that ##dx = 2\cosh(u) du##. Substitute these values into the integral and use the inverse hyperbolic sine function to solve the integral.

5. Can I use integration by parts to solve this integral?

Yes, you can use integration by parts to solve ##\int\sqrt{4+x^2} dx##. Let ##u = \sqrt{4+x^2}## and ##dv = dx##. This means that ##du = \frac{2x}{\sqrt{4+x^2}} dx## and ##v = x##. Substitute these values into the integration by parts formula and solve for the integral.