Integrate this equation by parts

Overall, just remember that integration by parts is all about picking the right "u" and "dv" parts of the original integrand. In this case, choosing u = t and dv = et dt was better than your choice of u = et and dv = t dt. In summary, the conversation is about integrating ettdt using integration by parts. One person presents their attempt at a solution, while another explains the concept of pushing up and down to determine the correct variables for integration by parts. The conversation also highlights the importance of choosing the right "u" and "dv" parts in order to simplify the integral.
Xetman

Homework Statement

Integrate ettdt using integration by parts.2. The attempt at a solution

Seems like a very easy problem; however, I just started learning integration by parts-- didn't understand this.

So the book's method:

u=t dv=etdt
du=dt v= et

uv-∫vdu=tet-∫etdt=tet-et+C.My method:

u=et dv=tdt
du=etdt v=t2/2uv-∫vdu=ett2/2-∫(t2/2)etdt

My method seems wrong, so can anyone please answer me why my method won't work?
Is it just about assigning the correct values to the correct variables?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is not wrong, but it is not helpful. Integration by parts offers several options. We want to replace our integral by a simpler one. Your integral is more complicated. ∫te^t dt can be traded for ∫t^2 e^t dt or ∫e^t dt, the former is worse the latter better. As you practice you will see what choice improves the situation and what does not.

lurflurf said:
∫te^t dt can be traded for ∫t^2 e^t dt or ∫e^t dt, the former is worse the latter better.

can you please explain how ? I'm confused..

Hi MrWarlock616! :smile:

tet is in two parts, t and et

you can push et up, and t down …

then et stays as et, and t becomes 1, then 0​

of you can push et down, and t up …

then et stays as et, and t becomes t2/2, then t3/6, then …​

the idea is to push in the direction that makes one of them disappear :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi MrWarlock616! :smile:

tet is in two parts, t and et

you can push et up, and t down …

then et stays as et, and t becomes 1, then 0​

of you can push et down, and t up …

then et stays as et, and t becomes t2/2, then t3/6, then …​

the idea is to push in the direction that makes one of them disappear :wink:
This must a new concept. I'm not familiar with the push up and down..but thanks!

The thing to keep in mind is that for elementary integration by parts problems, the tricky term is the integral one is left with. From the original integrand (which is the product of two terms), one term gets differentiated, while the other term gets integrated. Do that in your head, and if the product between the two resulting terms can now be integrated again more easily, then it's the right approach.

Writing it out makes it seem more complicated than it is! :biggrin:

MrWarlock616 said:
This must a new concept. I'm not familiar with the push up and down..but thanks!

The pushing "up and down" means "integrating and differentiating," respectively. I imagine tiny_tim was thinking of "pushing down" the degree of the "t" part of the original integrand, and the resulting integral (the v du part) would simply be et, as opposed to the one you got using your method.

Related to Integrate this equation by parts

1. What is the purpose of using integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used to evaluate integrals that cannot be solved using basic integration methods. It allows us to break down a complex integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of x and dv and du are their respective derivatives.

3. How do you choose which function to use as u and which to use as dv?

The choice of which function to use as u and which to use as dv is based on the acronym "LIATE" which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential. The function that comes first in this list should be chosen as u.

4. What is the general process for using integration by parts?

The general process for using integration by parts is as follows: identify u and dv, calculate du and v, substitute these values into the integration by parts formula, and then solve for the integral.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts include using the wrong function as u, not correctly calculating du and v, and forgetting to add the constant of integration when solving the integral.