Integrating by partial fraction.

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving the integral \int \frac{dx}{(x+1)(x^2+1)(x^3+1)}. The attempt at a solution includes using partial fractions with linear and quadratic denominators, but it leads to nonsensical results. The conversation then suggests using a combination of partial fractions and completing the square to simplify the problem.
azatkgz

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{(x+1)(x^2+1)(x^3+1)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it in 3 ways.
1)[tex]\frac{A}{(x+1)}+\frac{B}{(x^2+1)}+\frac{C}{(x^3+1)}[/tex]

2)[tex]\frac{A}{(x+1)}+\frac{B+Dx}{(x^2+1)}+\frac{C+Ex}{(x^3+1)}[/tex]

3)[tex]\frac{A}{(x+1)}+\frac{B+Dx}{(x^2+1)}+\frac{C+Ex+Fx^2}{(x^3+1)}[/tex]
But it gives me nonsense.

Physics news on Phys.org
(x+1) divides (x^3+1). You can write the partial fraction with just linear and quadratic denominators.

Then should I solve in this way?

[tex]\frac{A}{(x+1)}+\frac{B+Dx}{(x^2+1)}+\frac{C}{(x+1)^2}+\frac{F+Ex}{(x^2-x+1)}[/tex]

That looks ok to me.

damn this prob is going to be long

Related to Integrating by partial fraction.

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical technique used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. It involves finding the partial fractions that, when added together, equal the original function.

2. Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition is useful because it allows us to solve integrals involving rational functions that cannot be easily solved using other techniques. It also helps simplify complex algebraic equations.

3. How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, you first need to factor the denominator of the rational function into linear or irreducible quadratic factors. Then, you set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown coefficients using algebraic methods.

4. What are some common methods used to solve integrals involving partial fractions?

The most common methods used to solve integrals involving partial fractions are the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of partial fractions with repeated linear factors.

5. Can partial fraction decomposition be used for improper fractions?

No, partial fraction decomposition cannot be used for improper fractions. It is only applicable to proper fractions, where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.