Integrating Over Two Variables: Deriving an Expression for dP/dt

In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking help with a math problem involving an integral and finding the expression for its derivative. The conversation includes a detailed explanation of the solution process and confirms that the approach taken by the user is correct.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I'd appreciate it if someone could help look through my working and check if it makes sense!

I have the following integral:
$$P(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{a} \int_{-\infty}^{-\infty} f_p(p) \ f_{x} (x - pt/m) \ dp \ dx$$
I want to find an expression for ##\frac{dP(t)}{dt}##, so I first "bring in" the integral over ##x##.
$$P(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{-\infty} f_p(p) \Big [ \int_{-\infty}^{a} f_x (x - pt/m) \ dx \Big ] \ dp$$
Making the substitution of ##u = x - pt/m##
$$\frac{d}{dt} \int_{-\infty}^{a} f_x (x - pt/m) \ dx = \frac{d}{dt}\int_{-\infty}^{a - pt/m} f_x (u) \ du = -\frac{p}{m} f_x(a - pt/m)$$
and finally,
$$\frac{dP}{dt} = -\frac{1}{m} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f_p (p) . p . f_x (a - pt/m) \ dp$$
Is this right? Many thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You can also differentiate directly. In general:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \int^{b(t)}_{a(t)} f(x,t)dx = f(b(t),t) b'(t) - f(a(t),t) a'(t) + \int^{a}_b \frac{\partial}{\partial t} f(x,t)dt[/tex]
In your case there is (originally) no ##t## dependency in the limits so:

Let's see...
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}P(t) = \frac{d}{dt} \int_{-\infty}^{a} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f_p(p) \ f_{x} (x - pt/m) \ dp \ dx =[/tex]
[tex] = \int_{-\infty}^{a} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f_p(p) \ f'_{x} (x - pt/m)\frac{-p}{m} \ dp \ dx[/tex]
changing the order of integration:
[tex] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{-p}{m}f_p(p) \int_{-\infty}^{a}\ f'_{x} (x - pt/m) \ dx \ dp[/tex]
and applying the FTC in its other form (using u substitution for the indefinite integral ##du = dx## and returning to ##x## for the evaluation):
[tex]= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{-p}{m}f_p(p) \ f_{x} (a - pt/m) dp[/tex]

so we agree.

I had some concern with your change of variable which has a ##t## dependency before executing the derivative which is why I worked it out in this alternative fashion. That's something I should meditate on for a bit to be sure if and why it is okay.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your time!

1. What are integrals and why are they important in science?

Integrals are mathematical tools used to calculate the area under a curve. In science, they are important because they allow us to calculate things like distance, velocity, and acceleration, which are essential in understanding the physical world. They are also used in solving differential equations, which are fundamental in many scientific fields.

2. How do you solve integrals?

Integrals can be solved using various techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, and trigonometric identities. It is important to understand the fundamental concepts and rules of integration before attempting to solve integrals.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

Definite integrals have specific limits of integration, while indefinite integrals do not. In other words, definite integrals give a numerical value, while indefinite integrals give a function. Definite integrals are used to find the area under a curve, while indefinite integrals are used to find the antiderivative of a function.

4. Are there any real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, they are used to calculate the work done by a force, the volume of a three-dimensional object, and the probability of an event occurring.

5. How can I check if my integration is correct?

There are several ways to check if your integration is correct. One way is to differentiate the result and see if it matches the original function. Another way is to use a graphing calculator to graph both the original function and the integral and see if they match. Additionally, you can plug in different values for the variable to see if the result is consistent.