Finding the distribution of a linear combination of r.v.'s.

In summary: Otherwise, you would not keep making these obvious errors.I suggest to abstract the problem, solve this one and come back to your original problem.In summary, the distribution of W=2X-Y is found by first finding the distribution of U=2X and V=-Y, and then using the formula f_W(w)=∫f_U(u)f_V(w-u)du. However, the resulting expression is not a pdf because it is always negative. It is necessary to use the formula for linear combinations of independent distributions to solve this problem.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Let ##X,Y## be independent r.v.'s (EDITED) normally distributed with ##\mu=0,\sigma^2=1##. Find the distribution of ##W=2X-Y##.

Homework Equations

"If ##X,Y## are independent, then if ##Z=X+Y##, ##f_{Z}=\int_{\mathbb{R}} f_X(x)f_Y(z-x)\, dx##.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, what I did was find the distribution of ##U=2X## and ##V=-Y##.

##P(U\leq u)=P(2X\leq u)=P(X\leq \frac{u}{2})=\int_{-\infty}^{\frac{u}{2}} f_X(x)\, dx##. Let ##s=2x##, and ##\frac{ds}{2}=dx##. Then ##\frac{u}{2}\mapsto u##, and ##-\infty \mapsto -\infty##. So ##P(X\leq \frac{u}{2})=\frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^u f_X(s)\, ds## and ##f_U(u)=\frac{1}{2}f_X(u)##. Similarly, ##f_V(v)=-f_Y(v)##. I know that pdf's are always non-negative, which is partially why I got stuck.

Next, I let ##W=U+V## so that ##f_W(w)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} f_U(u)f_V(w-u)\, du##, and this is where I got stuck, next. I feel like I'm supposed to substitute ##u## for ##x## here, but I can't remember how to do this...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"Let ##X,Y## be normally distributed with ##\mu=0,\sigma^2=1##. Find the distribution of ##W=2X-Y##.

Homework Equations

"If ##X,Y## are independent, then if ##Z=X+Y##, ##f_{Z}=\int_{\mathbb{R}} f_X(x)f_Y(z-x)\, dx##.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, what I did was find the distribution of ##U=2X## and ##V=-Y##.

##P(U\leq u)=P(2X\leq u)=P(X\leq \frac{u}{2})=\int_{-\infty}^{\frac{u}{2}} f_X(x)\, dx##. Let ##s=2x##, and ##\frac{ds}{2}=dx##. Then ##\frac{u}{2}\mapsto u##, and ##-\infty \mapsto -\infty##. So ##P(X\leq \frac{u}{2})=\frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^u f_X(s)\, ds## and ##f_U(u)=\frac{1}{2}f_X(x)##. Similarly, ##f_V(v)=-f_Y(y)##. I know that pdf's are always non-negative, which is partially why I got stuck.

Next, I let ##W=U+V## so that ##f_W(w)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} f_U(u)f_V(w-u)\, du##, and this is where I got stuck, next. I feel like I'm supposed to substitute ##u## for ##x## here, but I can't remember how to do this...

The given information is not sufficient to determine an explicit answer. We also need to know the covariance between ##X## and ##Y##, or whether ##X,Y## are independent.

Oh, right. I forgot to mention that they're independent.

Anyway, this is what I have, in addition to the work done in the opening post...

##f_W(w)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} f_U(u)f_V(w-u)\, du=-\frac{1}{2} \int_{\mathbb{R}} f_X(u)f_Y(w-u)\, du=-\frac{1}{4\pi} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-\frac{1}{2}u^2}e^{-\frac{1}{2}(w-u)^2}\, du\\
=-\frac{1}{4\pi} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-\frac{1}{2}(2u^2-2wu+w^2)}\, du=-\frac{1}{4\pi} e^{-\frac{1}{2}w^2} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-(u^2-wu)}\\
=-\frac{1}{4\pi} e^{-\frac{1}{2}w^2} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-[(u-\frac{1}{2}w)^2-\frac{1}{4}w^2]}=-\frac{1}{4\pi} e^{-\frac{1}{4}w^2} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-(u-\frac{1}{2}w)^2}=-\frac{1}{4\pi} e^{-\frac{1}{4}w^2}##, which isn't a pdf, since it's always negative.

Do you already know a formula for linear combinations of independent distributions?

I suggest to abstract the problem, solve this one and come back to your original problem.

Math_QED said:
Do you already know a formula for linear combinations of independent distributions?

I do not.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Anyway, this is what I have, in addition to the work done in the opening post...

##f_W(w)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} f_U(u)f_V(w-u)\, du=-\frac{1}{2} \int_{\mathbb{R}} f_X(u)f_Y(w-u)\, du=-\frac{1}{4\pi} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-\frac{1}{2}u^2}e^{-\frac{1}{2}(w-u)^2}\, du\\
=-\frac{1}{4\pi} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-\frac{1}{2}(2u^2-2wu+w^2)}\, du=-\frac{1}{4\pi} e^{-\frac{1}{2}w^2} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-(u^2-wu)}\\
=-\frac{1}{4\pi} e^{-\frac{1}{2}w^2} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-[(u-\frac{1}{2}w)^2-\frac{1}{4}w^2]}=-\frac{1}{4\pi} e^{-\frac{1}{4}w^2} \int_{\mathbb{R}} e^{-(u-\frac{1}{2}w)^2}=-\frac{1}{4\pi} e^{-\frac{1}{4}w^2}##, which isn't a pdf, since it's always negative.

Why do you persist in making obvious errors? Start from the basics, every time, and you will never go wrong! If ##V = -Y##, then for small ##h > 0## we have ##P(v < V < v + h) = P(v < -Y < v + h) = P(-v-h < Y < -v) = h f_Y(-v),## because we are looking at an interval of length ##h## going from ##-y-h## up to ##-y##. We do NOT get ##-h f(-v)## because the length of the interval is positive, not negative.

You really need to guard against letting your own notation fool you, and you do that by thinking, not just substituting into formulas too quickly.

Likes member 587159

What is a linear combination of random variables?

A linear combination of random variables is a mathematical operation where two or more random variables are multiplied by constants and then added together. The result is a new random variable.

Why is it important to find the distribution of a linear combination of random variables?

Finding the distribution of a linear combination of random variables is important because it allows us to make predictions and calculations about the new random variable. It also helps us to understand the relationship between the original variables and the new variable.

What information is needed to find the distribution of a linear combination of random variables?

To find the distribution of a linear combination of random variables, we need to know the individual distributions of each random variable, as well as the coefficients used in the linear combination.

How is the distribution of a linear combination of random variables calculated?

The distribution of a linear combination of random variables is calculated by first finding the mean and variance of the new variable. Then, using the properties of linearity, we can determine the mean and variance of the linear combination. Finally, using the mean and variance, we can determine the distribution of the new variable.

Can the distribution of a linear combination of random variables be any distribution?

No, the distribution of a linear combination of random variables will depend on the distributions of the original variables and the coefficients used in the linear combination. It may not necessarily be the same as any of the individual distributions.