Integrating partial derivatives in a field equation

In summary, the person is trying to integrate ψ in terms of M and has run into an issue with dimensionality.
Samson Ogaga Ojako
I am integrating the below:

\begin{equation}
\psi(r,v)=\int \left( \frac{\frac{\partial M(r,v)}{\partial r}}{r-2M(r,v)}\right)dr
\end{equation}

I am trying to write ψ in terms of M.

Please, any assistance will be appreciated.​

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Is it good enough to write ##\psi## in terms of ##M## and ##\int \frac{M}{r^2}dr##?

If yes then just write ##\psi=\int ((\frac{\partial M}{\partial r}\frac{1}{r}-\frac{M}{r^2})+\frac{M}{r^2}-2M)dr## and notice that the first term is the derivative of ##\frac{M}{r}## so after all it will be $$\psi=\frac{M}{r}-2\int Mdr+\int \frac{M}{r^2}dr+C$$

Last edited:
Likes Samson Ogaga Ojako
Is r a radius? (Or any other dimensionsl quantity?) If so, where did this integral come from?

Orodruin said:
Is r a radius? (Or any other dimensionsl quantity?) If so, where did this integral come from?
The 'r' is a shell radius while the "v" is the time.
The question is related to spacetime.

Thank you for getting in touch

Delta² said:
Is it good enough to write ##\psi## in terms of ##M## and ##\int \frac{M}{r^2}dr##?

If yes then just write ##\psi=\int ((\frac{\partial M}{\partial r}\frac{1}{r}-\frac{M}{r^2})+\frac{M}{r^2}-2M)dr## and notice that the first term is the derivative of ##\frac{M}{r}## so after all it will be $$\psi=\frac{M}{r}-2\int Mdr+\int \frac{M}{r^2}dr+C$$

This looks so good enough, Sir.
I must say, thank you very much.
Let me look at how you were able to simplify the integration first.
This is brilliant.
I will get back to you just now.

Cheers

Likes Delta2
Samson Ogaga Ojako said:
The 'r' is a shell radius while the "v" is the time.
The question is related to spacetime.

Thank you for getting in touch
This does not answer where your integral came from. The reason I am asking is that if ##r## is dimensionful, then your expression is dimensionally inconsistent because ##(\partial M/\partial r)/r## does not have the same physical dimension as ##M##.

Orodruin said:
This does not answer where your integral came from. The reason I am asking is that if ##r## is dimensionful, then your expression is dimensionally inconsistent because ##(\partial M/\partial r)/r## does not have the same physical dimension as ##M##.
Maybe there is some sort of constant (with the proper units) in front of the ##-2M## term, which he omitted.

Orodruin said:
See the attached for details of how \psi, #M# and #r# are related.

Best regard.

Attachments

• Solve.pdf
    302.3 KB · Views: 239
So you have not transcribed the problem correctly then. The integrand is
$$
\frac{\partial_r M}{r - 2M},
$$
not
$$
\frac{\partial_r M}{r} - 2M.
$$

Delta² said:
Maybe there is some sort of constant (with the proper units) in front of the ##-2M## term, which he omitted.

I think he is unable to see the typing clearly because of the way the question is typed.

So, I've decided to attach a copy of the typed question to him for a better understanding of the question.

Thank you once again.
Cheers

Attachments

• Solve.pdf
    302.3 KB · Views: 229
Orodruin said:
So you have not transcribed the problem correctly then. The integrand is
$$
\frac{\partial_r M}{r - 2M},
$$
not
$$
\frac{\partial_r M}{r} - 2M.
$$
Yeah

Ah, then what I did in post # 2 is not correct...

Delta² said:
Ah, then what I did in post # 2 is not correct...

Oh ok.

You can take a second look at it again while I retype the question in LaTeX.

Cheers

Well this look like some sort of assignment or homework. You have to show us some effort from your side.

All I can think right now is to transform the integral so that we get as end result ##-\frac{1}{2}\ln|r-2M|+\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{1}{r-2M} dr +C##

Delta² said:
Well this looks like some sort of assignment or homework. You have to show us some effort from your side.

All I can think right now is to transform the integral so that we get as end result ##-\frac{1}{2}\ln|r-2M|+\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{1}{r-2M} dr +C##

It is not really a homework or assignment. This is part of my research finding. I've gotten to a stage where I have 3 field equations with 3 variables #M#, #\psi# and #phi# all are functions of #(r,v)#

\begin{equation}
\frac{\partial {m}}{\partial v} = 4\pi{r^{2}}\phi_{v} \left[e^{-\psi}\phi_{v} + \left( 1-\frac{2m}{r}\right) \phi_{r} \right] = m^{\prime}(v)
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\frac{\partial {\psi}}{\partial r} = 4\pi{r^{2}}\phi_{r}^2 = \psi^{\prime}(r)
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\frac{\partial {m}}{\partial r} = 2\pi{r^{2}}\phi_{r}^2 \left( 1-\frac{2m}{r}\right) = m^{\prime}(r)
\end{equation}

From equations 2 and 3, I was able to get what I shared online.

\begin{equation}
\psi(r,v)=\int \left( \frac{\frac{\partial M(r,v)}{\partial r}}{r-2M(r,v)}\right)dr
\end{equation}.

I have made some effort to get #\psi# in terms of #M# so that I can solve equation 1.

Please, you can help if you can.

Can you have a look again at your equations (3) and (4) , because from those two I get that

$$\psi=\int \frac {2r\frac{\partial M}{\partial r}}{r-2M}dr$$

Likes Samson Ogaga Ojako
Delta² said:
Can you have a look again at your equations (3) and (4) , because from those two I get that

$$\psi=\int \frac {2r\frac{\partial M}{\partial r}}{r-2M}dr$$
Oh ok.

Let me check again then.

Samson Ogaga Ojako said:
Oh ok.

Let me check again then.
You are right Sir

1. What is the purpose of integrating partial derivatives in a field equation?

The purpose of integrating partial derivatives in a field equation is to find the general solution for the field equation. This allows us to solve for the unknown function in the equation and obtain a complete description of the system.

2. How do you integrate partial derivatives in a field equation?

To integrate partial derivatives in a field equation, you must first identify the variables in the equation and determine which variables will be integrated with respect to. Then, you can use various integration techniques such as the chain rule, substitution, or integration by parts to solve for the unknown function.

3. What are the limitations of integrating partial derivatives in a field equation?

One limitation of integrating partial derivatives in a field equation is that it may not always be possible to obtain a closed-form solution. In some cases, numerical methods may be required to approximate the solution. Additionally, the integration process can become increasingly complex for equations with multiple variables and higher order derivatives.

4. Can partial derivatives in a field equation be integrated with respect to multiple variables?

Yes, partial derivatives in a field equation can be integrated with respect to multiple variables. This is known as multiple integration and involves integrating the equation with respect to one variable at a time while treating the other variables as constants.

5. How does integrating partial derivatives in a field equation relate to real-world applications?

Integrating partial derivatives in a field equation is a fundamental process in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to model and analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. For example, in physics, integrating partial derivatives is essential for solving equations of motion and determining the trajectory of a moving object.