Integration by parts on ##S^3## in Coleman's textbook

In summary, Coleman's "Aspects of symmetry" chapter 7 discusses the SU(2) winding number on S^3 and defines three parameters, theta_1, theta_2, and theta_3, on S^3. The chapter goes on to define the winding number and show its invariance under continuous deformation of the gauge field. The expression (3.37) is used, which involves integrating over the three theta parameters. The reader expresses confusion about executing integration by parts and getting vanishing surface terms, and wonders how to define the theta parameters globally. They apologize for their lack of knowledge on the topic and seek assistance.
niss
Homework Statement
To show the winding number is invariant under continuous deformation
Relevant Equations
##\delta \nu\propto \int d\theta_1 d\theta_2 d\theta_3\epsilon ^{ijk}Tr\partial _ig^{-1}\partial_jg\partial_k\delta T##
I'm reading Coleman's "Aspects of symmetry" chap 7.
On the topic of the SU(2) winding number on ##S^3##on page 288, three parameters on ##S^3## are defined ##\theta_1,\theta_2,\theta_3##. Afterwards, it defines the winding number and to show it's invariant under continuous deformation of gauge field it claims
$$\delta \nu\propto \int d\theta_1 d\theta_2 d\theta_3\epsilon ^{ijk}Tr\partial _ig^{-1}\partial_jg\partial_k\delta T\qquad (3.37)$$
But I don't get how to execute integ by parts. To integ by parts and get vanishing surface terms, I think the boundary of ##\theta_i## s should be connected like the usual ##\phi## of polar coordinates ##(r,\theta,
\phi)## and not like ##\theta## which varies from 0 to ##\pi##. Then I'm wondering how to define ##\theta_i## s globally.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm new to the topic and I don't have anyone to ask. Any help would be appreciated.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals of products of functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation and is often used when one function in the integral is easy to differentiate but difficult to integrate, and the other function is the opposite.

2. How is integration by parts applied to ##S^3## in Coleman's textbook?

In Coleman's textbook, integration by parts is applied to ##S^3## through the use of spherical coordinates. This involves breaking down the integral into smaller parts and using the product rule to integrate each part separately. The resulting integrals are then combined to find the final solution.

3. What are the benefits of using integration by parts on ##S^3##?

Integration by parts on ##S^3## can be useful in solving integrals involving spherical coordinates, as it allows for a more efficient and organized approach to solving these types of integrals. It also helps to simplify the integrals and make them more manageable.

4. Are there any limitations to using integration by parts on ##S^3##?

While integration by parts is a useful technique, it may not always be applicable to integrals on ##S^3##. It is important to carefully consider the integrand and determine if integration by parts is the most appropriate method for solving the integral.

5. How can I improve my understanding of integration by parts on ##S^3##?

To improve your understanding of integration by parts on ##S^3##, it is important to practice solving different types of integrals and familiarize yourself with the concept of spherical coordinates. You can also seek out additional resources and practice problems to further enhance your understanding.