Integration of a natural log and polynomial

In summary, to evaluate the indefinite integral of ln(x2+19x+84)dx when x > 0, you can use integration by parts by setting u=ln(x2+19x+84) and dv=dx. After simplifying, you can factor the quadratic and split the integral into two simpler log terms. This method is easier than the one suggested by the program.
waealu

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral when x > 0:

indefinite integral of ln(x2+19x+84)dx

Homework Equations

I know I need to use some form of integration by parts: integral of u*dv=uv-(integral of(du*v))

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by making u=ln(x2+19x+84) and dv=dx. Thus, (after u-substitution) du=(2x+19)/(x2+19x+84) and v=x.

After putting that in the formula, we get x*ln(x2+19x+84)-(integral of)((2x2+19x)/(x2+19x+84)). After simplifying that, I get:

x*ln(x2+19x+84)-((x2+19x+84)(4x+19)-(2x2+19x)(2x+19))/((x2+19x+84)2)

But according to the program I am using, that is the incorrect answer. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just factor the quadratic, then split up the integral into two simpler log terms then use:

[tex]\int ln(u)du=u\ln(u)-u[/tex]

Hmm, by infinite do you mean definite integral from 0 to infinity? If so, it's clearly divergent.

No, sorry, I meant the indefinite integral.

Thanks Jackmell. I tried that method and it worked. (A lot easier than the method I was using.)

Related to Integration of a natural log and polynomial

What is the formula for integrating a natural log and polynomial?

The formula for integrating a natural log and polynomial is:∫ ln(x) * (ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d) dx = (ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d) * (ln(x) - 1) + C

Can the integration of a natural log and polynomial be solved using substitution?

Yes, the integration of a natural log and polynomial can be solved using substitution. The substitution method involves replacing the variable in the integral with a new variable, and then solving the new integral. This method is especially useful when the integrand includes a product of functions.

What is the process for integrating a natural log and polynomial?

The process for integrating a natural log and polynomial involves using the formula for integrating ln(x) and applying the power rule for integrating polynomials. The integral can also be solved using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

Can the integration of a natural log and polynomial be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the integration of a natural log and polynomial can be used to solve real-world problems, particularly in areas such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the growth rate of a population or the rate of decay of a radioactive substance.

What are some common mistakes made when integrating a natural log and polynomial?

Some common mistakes made when integrating a natural log and polynomial include forgetting to add the constant of integration, not using the correct formula, and making errors in algebraic simplification. It is important to double-check the solution and make sure it satisfies the original problem before considering it to be correct.