How Do You Integrate Complex Trigonometric Functions?

In summary, I tried substituting u=\sqrt{b^2\sin^2 \theta-1} for u in the original integral, but this didn't seem to help. I then tried integration by parts, but it became messy and I'm not sure if it's the right approach. After looking into WolframAlpha, I found that the integral is not integrable and that I would need to use a trig identity to solve it.
TheCanadian

Homework Statement

(This is a part of the entire problem. I'm just struggling with going to the next step since it involves solving this integral.)

Integrate:

$$ \int \frac {1}{\sin \theta \sqrt {R^2\sin ^2 \theta - a^2} } d\theta $$

Homework Equations

R and a are simply constants. Only $$ \theta $$ is a variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried performing substitutions (i.e. u = \sqrt $$ {R^2\sin ^2\theta - a^2} $$ and in another attempt u = $$ \sin \theta $$) but this seems to get me stuck in the same situation (or worsening the situation). I have also tried integration by parts, but it just seems very messy when I do it this way, and I feel like it may be the wrong approach. I might be completely missing it, but is there a particularly good substitution or method I should approach this problem with? None of the ones I've tried so far seem to work, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not going to be an easy integral but I would start with the substitution [itex]u= R^2sin^2(\theta)[/itex]. Then [itex]du= 2R^2 sin(\theta)cos(\theta) d\theta[/itex]. Now multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]2R^2 sin(\theta)cos(\theta)d\theta[/itex]. We can write the integral as [tex]\frac{1}{2R^2}\int \frac{2R^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)d\theta}{sin^2(\theta)cos(\theta)\sqrt{R^2sin^2(\theta)- a^2}}[/tex]
Now [itex]sin^2(\theta)= u/R^2[/itex] and [itex]cos(\theta)= \sqrt{1- cos^2(\theta)}= \sqrt{1- \frac{u}{R^2}}[/itex] so that becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{du}{u\sqrt{1- \frac{u^2}{R^2}}\sqrt{u^2- a^2}}[/tex]

I'd look for a trig identity.

HallsofIvy said:
That's not going to be an easy integral but I would start with the substitution [itex]u= R^2sin^2(\theta)[/itex]. Then [itex]du= 2R^2 sin(\theta)cos(\theta) d\theta[/itex]. Now multiply both numerator and denominator by [itex]2R^2 sin(\theta)cos(\theta)d\theta[/itex]. We can write the integral as [tex]\frac{1}{2R^2}\int \frac{2R^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)d\theta}{sin^2(\theta)cos(\theta)\sqrt{R^2sin^2(\theta)- a^2}}[/tex]
Now [itex]sin^2(\theta)= u/R^2[/itex] and [itex]cos(\theta)= \sqrt{1- cos^2(\theta)}= \sqrt{1- \frac{u}{R^2}}[/itex] so that becomes

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I actually got a result very similar to yours but this still doesn't seem like an easily solvable integrable. Am I missing something? Integration by parts doesn't exactly work and and applying a trig substitution would bring me back to where I was earlier.

Simon Bridge said:
I'd look for a trig identity.

Besides applying:

$$ cos 2\theta = 1 - 2sin^2\theta $$

is there any other obvious choice for a better simplification? This still seems to not make the integral much better.

It seems to me that starting with a ##u = \cos \theta ## change of variable, followed by a ## v = \tanh^{-1} u ## would greatly simplify your integral. With a last hyperbolic change of variable, and a discussion over the sign of a constant depending of ##a## and ##R##, you could solve your problem.

Do you have any reason to think that this will turn out to be an easy integral to solve, if only you knew the trick?

Simon Bridge said:
Do you have any reason to think that this will turn out to be an easy integral to solve, if only you knew the trick?

Except for the first change of variable which is tricky, the next steps come quite naturally.

HallsofIvy said:

After looking into your approach, I resorted to using WolframAlpha to help figure out this integral. I was expecting a nicer solution since it is based on a real problem, and this definitely seems off from what I was expecting. Nonetheless, thank you for the suggestion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 4.34.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 4.34.09 PM.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 172
I'd start by pulling ##a## out of the integral, leaving you with
$$ \frac 1a \int \frac{1}{\sin\theta \sqrt{b^2\sin^2 \theta-1}} \,d\theta$$ where ##b = R/a##. Then use the substitution ##u = \csc \theta##.

TheCanadian said:
After looking into your approach, I resorted to using WolframAlpha to help figure out this integral. I was expecting a nicer solution since it is based on a real problem, and this definitely seems off from what I was expecting. Nonetheless, thank you for the suggestion.
Are you sure the integral you derived is correct?

Related to How Do You Integrate Complex Trigonometric Functions?

1. What is integration of sin terms?

Integration of sin terms is a mathematical process that involves finding the antiderivative of a function that contains a sine term. It is a common technique used in calculus to solve problems involving motion, waves, and periodic phenomena.

2. What is the general formula for integrating sin terms?

The general formula for integrating sin terms is ∫sin(ax + b) dx = -(1/a)cos(ax + b) + C, where a and b are constants, and C is the constant of integration.

3. How do I solve integrals of sin terms?

To solve integrals of sin terms, you can use the integration formula or apply trigonometric identities to simplify the function. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of integration techniques such as u-substitution and integration by parts.

4. Can I use the integration of sin terms to find the area under a sine curve?

Yes, integration of sin terms can be used to find the area under a sine curve. This is because finding the antiderivative of a function is equivalent to finding the area under its curve.

5. Are there any real-world applications of integration of sin terms?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of integration of sin terms. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving oscillations, vibrations, and waves. It is also used in signal processing and in the study of periodic phenomena in economics and biology.