Intensity of light in Fraunhofer diffraction pattern

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum points of a function representing the intensity of light in the Fraunhofer diffraction pattern of a single slit. The equation for the values of gamma at which the intensity is maximum is shown to be tan gamma = gamma. The process involves differentiating the function with respect to gamma and applying the chain rule. It is also noted that tan gamma is related to sin gamma and cos gamma.
ProPatto16

Homework Statement

The intensity of light I in the fraunhofer diffraction patter of a single slit is

I=I0(sin[itex]\gamma[/itex]/[itex]\gamma[/itex])2 where

[itex]\gamma[/itex]=[itex]\pi[/itex]asin[itex]\theta[/itex]/[itex]\lambda[/itex]

Show that the equation for the vaules of [itex]\gamma[/itex] at which I is maximum is tan[itex]\gamma[/itex]=[itex]\gamma[/itex]

well, intensity is approxiamately max as follows

Im=I0/[(m+1/2)2[itex]\pi[/itex]2]

and for m=1... Im=0.0472I0
m=2...I0=0.0165I0

but i have no clue how to "show" that tan[itex]\gamma[/itex]=[itex]\gamma[/itex] at the max intensity??

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you find the maximum points of a function?

ehild

differentiate!

but what?

differential of I is I'=I0(-2sinx2/x3)

differential of [itex]\gamma[/itex] is [itex]\gamma[/itex]'=[itex]\pi[/itex]acos[itex]\theta[/itex]/[itex]\lambda[/itex]

for general functions the process is differentiate function and sub in zero's for critical points.

so in this case would i use I' and then sub in [itex]\gamma[/itex]=0?

but that comes up with zero?

ProPatto16 said:
but what?

differential of I is I'=I0(-2sinx2/x3)

differential of [itex]\gamma[/itex] is [itex]\gamma[/itex]'=[itex]\pi[/itex]acos[itex]\theta[/itex]/[itex]\lambda[/itex]

No. The problem asks the places of maximum in terms of gamma. Differentiate the intensity with respect to γ. Apply chain rule for the square of sin(γ)/γ, then you have a fraction, and you have to differentiate sin(γ), too. No need to differentiate gamma with respect to theta.

ehild

With u=sin(Y)/Y
I=Io*u^2
u'=-sin(Y)/Y^2
I'= Io*2u
So
I' with respect to gamme is =Io*2sin(Y)/Y*-sin(Y)/Y^2

=Io*-2[(sinY)^2]/Y^3

sin(γ)/γ is a fraction. What is the derivative of f/g?

ehild

eh of course,
sin(Y)/Y derivitive, let g=sinY then g'=cosY
h=Y and h'=1
y'=(YcosY-Y)/Y2

then = (Y(cosY-1))/Y2

so = (cosY-1)/Y

then subbing back into I'

I'=2I0*(sin(Y)/Y)*((cosY-1)/Y)

but tan = sin/cos.

i can see its getting closer...

not sure what to do next, and the only way i can see to get cos on the bottom of the fraction is to change the two functions for quotient rule but then it wouldn't match the rule.. help?

ProPatto16 said:
eh of course,
sin(Y)/Y derivitive, let g=sinY then g'=cosY
h=Y and h'=1
y'=(YcosY-Y)/Y2

y'=(γcosγ -sinγ )/γ2.

ehild

Oh god. Way to feel dumb -.- thanks mate

So I'= 2I0*(sinY/Y)*((YcosY-sinY)/Y2)

thats with u=sinY/Y so then I'=2I0*u*du/dY which is from above.

i tried subbing in tanY for Y but it doesn't work out to zero?

to "show" that tanY=Y is a max, then I'=0...

You do not need that "u". I'=0 either when sinγ/γ=0 or γcosγ-sinγ=0, that is, γcosγ=sinγ, divide both side with cosγ, ... Do you know how tanγ is related to sinγ and cosγ?

ehild

oh. of course. had absolutely no vision for this question. thanks for your help. very much.

1. What is Fraunhofer diffraction?

Fraunhofer diffraction refers to the diffraction pattern created when a coherent light source passes through a single slit or a small opening. It is named after Joseph von Fraunhofer, a German physicist who first studied and described the phenomenon.

2. How is the intensity of light affected in Fraunhofer diffraction?

The intensity of light in Fraunhofer diffraction is affected by the size of the opening or slit through which the light passes. The smaller the opening, the more intense the diffraction pattern will be. This is because a smaller opening causes the light waves to spread out more, resulting in a higher intensity at the center of the diffraction pattern.

3. What factors can affect the intensity of light in Fraunhofer diffraction pattern?

The intensity of light in a Fraunhofer diffraction pattern can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the light, the size of the opening or slit, and the distance between the light source and the screen on which the diffraction pattern is observed. Other factors such as the coherence of the light source and the presence of obstructions can also have an impact on the intensity of the diffraction pattern.

4. Can the intensity of light in Fraunhofer diffraction pattern be manipulated?

Yes, the intensity of light in a Fraunhofer diffraction pattern can be manipulated by changing the size of the opening or slit, or by placing different types of filters in front of the light source. This allows for the creation of different diffraction patterns with varying intensity levels.

5. How is the intensity of light measured in Fraunhofer diffraction?

The intensity of light in Fraunhofer diffraction can be measured using a light detector, such as a photodiode or a photomultiplier tube. The detector is placed at different positions along the diffraction pattern, and the intensity of the light is recorded at each point. This data can then be used to plot a graph of intensity versus position and analyze the diffraction pattern.