Interference from reflection off water across a lake

In summary: The other triangle has one trig relation going for it.In summary, the conversation discusses the interference of a reflected wave with a direct wave from a microwave transmitter above a wide lake to a receiver on the other side. The assumptions of a much larger lake width and minimum wavelength help simplify the equation for finding the maximum signal distance x. The equation uses Pythagoras and binomial or small-angle approximations to solve for x, while considering the three triangles in the setup. Ultimately, the answer is x=(m+0.5)Dlambda/2a.
Richard L
Missing hoework template due to originally being posted elsewhere.
#89 chapter 35
A microwave transmitter at height a above the water of a wide lake transmits wavelength lambda to a receiver across the lake height x above the water. Reflected wave interferes with waves arriving directly.
Assumptions: width of lake D is much greater than a or x, and lambda is greater than or equal to a

Write an expression for distance x for which the signal is a maximum.

I can write an expression for the path length difference using Pythagoras. I know to apply the formula: path difference = (m+0.5)lambda because the reflection will give a phase shift of 0.5 lambda.

I think that I can assume that the direct path is equal to D because of the first assumption.
My equation is a mess and difficult to solve for x without making use of another assumption.
I don't know what terms I can omit based on the assumptions allowing me to omit terms and simplify the equation

The answer is supposed to be x=(m+0.5)Dlambda/2a

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what terms I can omit based on the assumptions allowing me to omit terms and simplify the equation.
... without seeing your equation, we cannot tell either.
The clue in the problem statement is the bit about D >> x,a ... this means that any terms in x/D will be very small ... you will usually be expected to make a binomial approximation someplace, or a small-angle approximation where there is trig. So look for the little angles.

Also check you have used all the relations you know... for instance, there are three triangles in your setup - two are right-angle triangles. The right angle triangles have both trig and pythagoras going for them.

Last edited:

1. What is "interference from reflection off water across a lake"?

"Interference from reflection off water across a lake" is a phenomenon that occurs when waves, such as light or sound waves, are reflected off the surface of a lake and interfere with each other, resulting in changes in the intensity or direction of the waves.

2. How does interference from reflection off water across a lake affect visibility?

The interference from reflection off water across a lake can cause changes in the intensity and direction of light waves, making it difficult to see objects on the other side of the lake. This is especially true if there are multiple sources of light or if the water is choppy, causing more reflections and interference.

3. Can interference from reflection off water across a lake be observed with sound waves?

Yes, interference from reflection off water can also occur with sound waves. When sound waves are reflected off the surface of a lake, they can interfere with each other and create areas of increased or decreased sound intensity, known as constructive and destructive interference.

4. How can interference from reflection off water across a lake be minimized?

To minimize interference from reflection off water across a lake, it is best to avoid having multiple sources of light or sound in the area. Additionally, using polarized sunglasses or a polarizing filter on a camera can help to reduce the glare and reflections off the water, making objects on the other side of the lake more visible.

5. Are there any practical applications of interference from reflection off water across a lake?

Yes, interference from reflection off water can actually be utilized in some applications. For example, in sonar technology, sound waves are reflected off the surface of the water and used to detect objects underwater. In addition, the study of interference from reflection off water can also provide insight into the properties of light and sound waves.