Interference of Two Waves (Interferometer)

In summary, the input signal to the interferometer is given by equation (1), where ##P## is the received power and ##T_b## is the delay present in one arm. The goal is to calculate the intensity/optical power at the output, which can be done using the interference equation (2). After applying this equation, the resulting intensity is given by equation (3), which includes the delay distance and ##\omega##, the carrier frequency. However, the data ##D## is absent from this equation, indicating that the result may not be correct. Further explanation and understanding of the context may be necessary.
roam

Homework Statement

The input signal to the interferometer shown in the picture below is given by:

$$E_{\text{in}}=\sqrt{P}\exp\left(j\omega_{0}t+\frac{jD(t)\pi}{2}+j\varphi_{p}(t)\right). \tag{1}$$

##P## is the power that is received. The delay present in one arm of the interferometer is ##T_b##.

2017_09_16_15_16_26.jpg

I want to calculate the intensity/optical power at the output of the interferometer.

Homework Equations

For two waves ##\sqrt{I_{1}}\exp(j\varphi_{1})## and ##\sqrt{I_{2}}\exp(j\varphi_{2})##, the resulting interference equation is:

$$I=I_{1}-I_{2}+2\sqrt{I_{1}I_{2}}\cos\varphi \tag{2}$$

where ##d## is the delay distance, and ##\varphi = \varphi_2 - \varphi_1##.

The Attempt at a Solution

So from the interference equation:

$$P_{\text{out}}=2P\left[1+\cos\left(\frac{2\pi d}{\lambda}\right)\right]=2P\left[1+\cos\left(\frac{2\pi cT_{b}f}{c}\right)\right]$$

$$=2P\left[1+\cos\left(2\pi T_{b}f\right)\right]=2P\left[1+\cos\left(T_{b}\omega\right)\right]. \tag{3}$$

Is this correct?

The context of this problem is in telecom. ##\omega_0## represents the carrier frequency, ##D(t)## is the actual data that has to be recovered. However ##D## is absent from (3) so I am thinking that my result is probably not correct. :confused:

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is interference of two waves?

Interference of two waves refers to the phenomenon where two waves meet and interact with each other, resulting in either constructive or destructive interference. This can occur when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude are superimposed on each other, causing their amplitudes to either add up or cancel out.

2. How does an interferometer work?

An interferometer is a device used to measure interference patterns between two waves. It typically consists of a light source, a beamsplitter, and two mirrors. The beamsplitter splits the light beam into two paths, which then reflect off the mirrors and recombine at the beamsplitter. The resulting interference pattern can be observed and measured to determine the properties of the waves.

3. What are the types of interference in an interferometer?

There are two types of interference that can occur in an interferometer: constructive and destructive. Constructive interference occurs when the two waves are in phase and their amplitudes add up, resulting in a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when the two waves are out of phase and their amplitudes cancel out, resulting in a smaller or zero amplitude.

4. What factors can affect the interference of two waves?

The interference of two waves can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength, amplitude, and phase of the waves. Other external factors such as the distance between the waves, the angle of incidence, and the medium in which the waves are traveling can also influence the interference pattern.

5. What are the practical applications of interferometry?

Interferometry has various practical applications in fields such as astronomy, engineering, and medicine. It is used to measure small changes in distances, detect gravitational waves, and create detailed images of objects in space. In engineering, interferometry is used for precise measurements and quality control. In medicine, interferometry is used in techniques such as optical coherence tomography to create detailed images of tissues and diagnose medical conditions.