Interior Point of 1/n

In summary: That is a nice observation. From my understanding of discrete topology, it is a trivial topology where all subsets are open (and hence closed). Instead of open sets ∅, ℝ, we instead have open sets containing only one element. Correct?In summary, the conversation is about finding the interior point of a set, {1/n : n ∈ ℕ}, and determining that the answer is ∅ rather than (0,1). The reasoning behind this is that for any x in the set, there exists an irrational number that is also within the neighborhood of x, making it not an element of the set. This set is an example of a discrete set, where every point has a neighborhood intersecting it only at that point.
zigzagdoom
Hi All,

A simple question but one for which I cannot seem to get the intuition.

1. Homework Statement

Find the interior point of {1/n : n ∈ ℕ}.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Let S = {1/n : n ∈ ℕ}, where S ⊆ℝ

x is an interior point if ∃N(x ; ε), N(x ; ε) ⊆ S.

My answer: IntS = (0,1)

But apparently the answer is ∅, which I do not seem to get.

Would it be that a small epsilon neighbourhood of x contains some element y such that y is not an element of S?

Any help is appreciated.

Edit:

I seemed to have figured it out. For every x for which we try to find the neighbourhood for, any ε > 0 we will have an interval containing irrational numbers which will not be an element of S.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that ##N(x;\varepsilon)## is the open ball of radius ##\varepsilon > 0## centered at ##x##?
zigzagdoom said:
My answer: IntS = (0,1)
Note that your answer could not possibly be correct, because for any set ##S##, in any topological space, it holds that ##\text{int}\,S \subseteq S##.
zigzagdoom said:
Would it be that a small epsilon neighbourhood of x contains some element y such that y is not an element of S?
Yes indeed. Try to make this precise. Take an arbitrary ##x = \frac{1}{n} \in S## and an arbitrary ##\varepsilon > 0##. Now indentify an element ##y \in \mathbb{R}## such that ##|x - y| < \varepsilon## but ##y \not\in S##. (You can write down an expression for such ##y## explicitly in terms of ##x## and ##\varepsilon##.)

Likes zigzagdoom
zigzagdoom said:
Edit:

I seemed to have figured it out. For every x for which we try to find the neighbourhood for, any ε > 0 we will have an interval containing irrational numbers which will not be an element of S.
Yes, well done!

Maybe it's also nice to know that a set ##A## in a topological space is called discrete when every point ##x \in A## has a neighborhood intersecting ##A## only in ##\{x\}##. So, ##S## is an example of a discrete set. However, there are sets (also in ##\mathbb{R}## with the usual metric) with empty interior that are not discrete. (And you know them, too, of course.)

Likes zigzagdoom
Krylov said:
I assume that ##N(x;\varepsilon)## is the open ball of radius ##\varepsilon > 0## centered at ##x##?

Note that your answer could not possibly be correct, because for any set ##S##, in any topological space, it holds that ##\text{int}\,S \subseteq S##.

Yes indeed. Try to make this precise. Take an arbitrary ##x = \frac{1}{n} \in S## and an arbitrary ##\varepsilon > 0##. Now indentify an element ##y \in \mathbb{R}## such that ##|x - y| < \varepsilon## but ##y \not\in S##. (You can write down an expression for such ##y## explicitly in terms of ##x## and ##\varepsilon##.)

Thanks a lot Krylov.

N(x; ε) is indeed the ball centre x, radius ε in this notation.

- (0,1) cannot be an interior point as 0 is actually a boundary point (i.e. ∀ N(0 ; ε), N(0 ; ε) ∧ ℝ \ S ≠ ∅)

- Let x ∈ S and x = 1/n. Now take any neighbourgood of x, N(x ; ε) = {y ∈ ℝ : |x - y| < ε}.
But for any n ∈ ℕ and any φ>0, there exists an irrational number i ∈ ℝ \ S, such that n - φ < i < n.
But then in any neighbourhood of x = 1/n, there exists a number 1/i. But 1/i ∉ S. Therefore there is no interior points of S, and IntS = ∅.

Krylov said:
Yes, well done!

Maybe it's also nice to know that a set ##A## in a topological space is called discrete when every point ##x \in A## has a neighborhood intersecting ##A## only in ##\{x\}##. So, ##S## is an example of a discrete set. However, there are sets (also in ##\mathbb{R}## with the usual metric) with empty interior that are not discrete. (And you know them, too, of course.)
Thanks!

1. What is the "Interior Point of 1/n"?

The "Interior Point of 1/n" refers to a mathematical concept used in optimization problems. It is a point within the feasible region of a convex optimization problem that satisfies all of the constraints and minimizes the objective function, where n is the number of variables in the problem.

2. How is the "Interior Point of 1/n" calculated?

The "Interior Point of 1/n" is typically calculated using interior point methods, which involve iteratively moving towards the optimal point within the feasible region. These methods use a barrier function to ensure that the point remains within the feasible region and a centering function to minimize the objective function.

3. What is the significance of the "Interior Point of 1/n"?

The "Interior Point of 1/n" is significant because it represents the optimal solution to a convex optimization problem. This optimal solution can be used to make informed decisions and improve systems in various fields, including engineering, economics, and data science.

4. Can the "Interior Point of 1/n" be used in non-convex optimization problems?

No, the "Interior Point of 1/n" method is only applicable to convex optimization problems. Non-convex problems have multiple local minima, making it difficult to determine the optimal solution using this method.

5. Are there any limitations to using the "Interior Point of 1/n"?

While the "Interior Point of 1/n" method is effective for convex optimization problems, it can be computationally expensive and may not always find the global optimal solution. Additionally, it may not work for problems with non-smooth or non-continuous objective functions.