International Student- Can I get a scholarship for masters?

In summary, a 3rd year physics student from Brazil is looking to pursue a masters degree in Canada, but requires a scholarship to cover expenses. Their options include University of Waterloo, Perimeter Institute, University of Ottawa, and University of Toronto. They have previously been sponsored by their government for studies at University of Ottawa, but cannot be sponsored again for their masters. They are seeking information on their chances of being accepted and if being an A+ student with published papers is a requirement for acceptance. Masters programs in Canada typically offer financial support, and acceptance rates vary depending on various factors.
Bcsantos
Hello Everyone,
I am a 3r year physics student, and I am finishing my undergrad in Brazil. But I want to go to Canada to do my masters. However, I need a scholarship which covers my fees and basics needs, otherwise I cannot afford on my own.
My options are: University of Waterloo, Perimeter Institute, University of Ottawa and University of Toronto.

I have studied at uOttawa for 1 year and a half, I was sponsored by my government, unfortunately I cannot be sponsored again in my masters.

So, I want information regarding my chances of being accepted. I am really afraid, I heard it is very difficult since the fees of international students are way too expensive.

I really appreaciate if you guys can give me any advice.

Do I have to be a A+ student and to have papers published in my major to get accepted?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Masters degrees in Canada normally come with some degree of financial support - a combination of a stipend and a teaching or research assistanceship. Most schools will post the level of financial support that students can expect somewhere on their webpage, although you might have to poke around a little bit. If you can't find that information, contact the department directly via email and they should be able to give you an answer.

Acceptance rates depend on a lot of different factors. Generally speaking you don't need to have a perfect average and publications to be accepted somewhere, but a lot can depend on who else enters the pool and how many spots are available in the first place.

1. Can international students apply for scholarships for masters programs?

Yes, international students can apply for scholarships for masters programs. Many universities and organizations offer scholarships specifically for international students to pursue graduate studies.

2. What are the requirements for international students to be eligible for scholarships?

The requirements for scholarships vary depending on the specific program and organization. However, most scholarships require international students to have a strong academic record, a good command of the English language, and submit essays or other materials to demonstrate their qualifications and financial need.

3. Do I have to pay back a scholarship for masters?

No, scholarships for masters programs are typically considered gift aid and do not need to be paid back. However, some scholarships may have certain conditions or requirements that must be met in order to continue receiving the funding.

4. Are there scholarships available for all fields of study for international students?

Yes, there are scholarships available for a wide range of fields of study for international students. However, the availability and amount of scholarships may vary depending on the specific field and the demand for professionals in that field.

5. How can I find scholarships for international students for masters programs?

You can find scholarships for international students by researching on university websites, scholarship search engines, and organizations that offer funding for international students. It is also recommended to reach out to the international student support office at your desired university for more information and resources.