Interpret the given sum

• Thread starter Firben
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary: WxsZSB0aGUgZ2l2ZW4gc3VtIFNuIGFzIGEgc3VtIG9mIGFyZWEgb2YgcmVjb3JkcyBhcHByb3ZpbmNpbmcgdGhlIGFyZWEgb2Y2Lg0KDQpObyBjYW4gZmVhdHVyZSB0aGUgZnVuY3Rpb24gaXMgeW91ciBmb3JtYXRpb24gc28gYW5kIHRoZSBsZWZ0IG9mIGEgY3VycmVud
Firben
Interpret the given sum Sn as a sum of areas of rectangles approximating the area of a certain region in the plane, and hence evaluate (x→ infinity) lim Snn
Sn ∑2/n(1-((2i)/n))
i=1

http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/ww168/Pitoraq/?action=view&current=Rms2.jpg
(number 17)

Attempt at solution:

I guess that the function is y = 1-2x is it right ?

How to solve for lim when x →infinity ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite. Notice that the [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is 2/n. And so "x" is 2i/n. Or, you could factor that 2 out of the sum so that [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is 1/n. In that case, "x" is indeed i/n. Do you see that those both give the same integral?

Firben said:
Interpret the given sum Sn as a sum of areas of rectangles approximating the area of a certain region in the plane, and hence evaluate (x→ infinity) lim Sn

n
Sn ∑2/n(1-((2i)/n))
i=1

http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/ww168/Pitoraq/?action=view&current=Rms2.jpg
(number 17)

Attempt at solution:

I guess that the function is y = 1-2x is it right ?

How to solve for lim when x →infinity ?

x does NOTgo to infinity; n does. You could use standard algebraic formulas to evaluate the sum explicitly as a function of n, then let n go to infinity in that formula. You should have seen already all the summations you need, somewhere in your course notes or your textbook.

RGV

1. What does it mean to "interpret" a sum?

Interpreting a sum means to understand and explain the mathematical expression or equation given. This involves breaking down the components of the sum, identifying any patterns or relationships, and providing a clear explanation of the solution.

2. How do I know if my interpretation of a sum is correct?

The best way to ensure the correctness of your interpretation is to double check your work and calculations. You can also ask a colleague or supervisor to review your interpretation and provide feedback. Additionally, referencing reliable mathematical resources can help validate your interpretation.

3. Can there be multiple interpretations of the same sum?

Yes, there can be multiple interpretations of the same sum depending on the context and the mathematical operations used. It is important to clearly state your assumptions and reasoning behind your interpretation to avoid confusion.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when interpreting a sum?

One common mistake is misinterpreting the order of operations, which can lead to incorrect solutions. Another mistake is not taking into account any given variables or constants in the sum. It is important to carefully read and understand all components of the sum before interpreting it.

5. How can interpreting sums benefit scientific research?

Interpreting sums is essential for making sense of data and solving complex problems in various fields of science. It allows for the analysis and understanding of patterns and relationships, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in scientific research.