Intersection of a function f(x,y) with a plane

In summary, the solution to the equation 2(x-a)+(y-b)+0z=0 in 3D space is a plane that contains the line 2(x-a)+(y-b)=0 at the xy-plane but also contains all the parallel lines of the points that have positive or negative z.
Poetria
Homework Statement
Which of the following expressions best approximates the slope of the function created by intersecting the graph of the function z=f(x,y) with a plane 2(x-a)+(y-b)=0 at the point (a,b)
Relevant Equations
2(x-a)+(y-b)=0 is a line
y=2a+b-2x
at the point (a,b) b=2a+b-2a
Since z=0, the only variable that counts is x.
So the solution would be:

$$\frac {f \left(a + \Delta\ x, b \right) - f(a,b)} {\left( \Delta\ x\right)}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
2(x-a)+(y-b)=0 is a line in 2D space but in 3D space it becomes a plane. You can write it as $$2(x-a)+(y-b)+0z=0$$ to see it mathematically as the general equation of a plane in 3Dimensional space is ##Ax+By+Cz+D=0##.

To see it intuitively this plane contains the line 2(x-a)+(y-b)=0 at the xy-plane (where z=0) but it also contains all the parallel lines of the points that have positive or negative z (all the lines that are above and below the basic line 2(x-a)+(y-b)=0).

The function that is "created " by the above intersection is the function $$g(x)=f(x,2a+b-2x)$$, or $$h(y)=f(\frac{b+2a-y}{2},y)$$ so you should look for options that give the slope at ##g(a)## or ##h(b)##.

• Love
Likes Poetria
Sorry I had a typo in post #2 in the expression of ##h(y)## I think now it is fixed.

Likes Poetria
Actually I might be wrong in what I say in post #2 about which are the functions that are created by the intersection. Is this question from the theory of directional derivatives?

I haven't learned anything about directional derivatives yet. It is the question about geometry of partial derivatives. But I think you are right. It does make sense. The option with g(x)

$$\frac {f \left(a + x - a, b - 2 x + 2 a \right) - f \left( a, b\right)} {x - a}$$$$\frac {f \left(a + \Delta\ x, b - 2 \Delta x \right) - f \left( a, b\right)} {\Delta x}$$

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
I will try to do the same with h(y).

Likes Delta2
$$\frac {f\left(\frac {2 a + b - \left( y - b\right)} {2}, b + y - b \right) - f\left(a, b \right)} {\left(y - b\right)}$$

Of course, y-b is ##\Delta y##

This is a multi-choice exercise and there is no option with ##\Delta y## as the one above. I was wondering why the option with ##\Delta x## in the denominator was supposed to be correct and not e.g. ##\Delta x \Delta y##. Now I understand it. :)
By the way ##\Delta x \Delta y## would mean the second derivative if I understand it correctly.
Tricky stuff.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Poetria said:
$$\frac {\frac {2 a + b - \left( y - b\right)} {2} - f\left(a, b \right)} {\left(y - b\right)}$$

Of course, y-b is ##\Delta y##

This is a multi-choice exercise and there is no option with ##\Delta y## as the one above. I was wondering why the option with ##\Delta x## in the denominator was supposed to be correct and not e.g. ##\Delta x \Delta y##. Now I understand it. :)
By the way ##\Delta x \Delta y## would mean the second derivative if I understand it correctly.
Tricky stuff.
not sure what you saying at the top, your expression is incomplete/has some typos i think, but yes if you were given an expression with ##\Delta x \Delta y## in the denominator that would come from the approximation expression for the second mixed partial derivative ##\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x\partial y}## or ##\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial y\partial x}## (those 2 are equal if f is continuous btw).

Likes Poetria
I meant the slope at h(b) you have suggested to find. Have I made a mistake?

Last edited:
ehm I think you mean $$f(\frac{2a+b-\Delta y}{2},b+\Delta y)$$ there instead of just $$\frac{2a+b-\Delta y}{2}$$

Likes Poetria
Silly me. :(

• Haha
Likes Delta2

1. What is the definition of the intersection of a function with a plane?

The intersection of a function with a plane is the set of points where the function and the plane intersect. In other words, it is the solution to the system of equations formed by the function and the equation of the plane.

2. How can the intersection of a function with a plane be represented mathematically?

The intersection of a function with a plane can be represented as a set of ordered pairs (x,y) that satisfy both the function and the equation of the plane. It can also be represented as a single equation that combines the function and the equation of the plane.

3. What are some common techniques used to find the intersection of a function with a plane?

Some common techniques used to find the intersection of a function with a plane include substitution, elimination, and graphing. These techniques involve manipulating the equations to solve for one variable and then substituting that value into the other equation to find the corresponding variable.

4. Can the intersection of a function with a plane have more than one solution?

Yes, the intersection of a function with a plane can have more than one solution. This means that there can be multiple points where the function and the plane intersect. These points can be represented as ordered pairs or as a system of equations.

5. How is the intersection of a function with a plane used in real-life applications?

The intersection of a function with a plane has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to model the path of a projectile, to find the optimal solution in a linear programming problem, or to create 3D objects in computer graphics.