Intersection of a parabola with another curve

In summary, the conversation is about finding a curve that intersects every point of a parabola at right angles. The person attempted to solve this by taking the derivative and finding the negative reciprocal, then integrating to get an equation with a constant. However, they were only able to find one intersection when graphing the two functions and asked for any flaws in their logic.
Delber

Homework Statement

For a any parabola with the equation [tex]y=kx^{2}[/tex]
I'm trying to find a curve that intersect every point of the parabola at right angles.

Homework Equations

For a perpendicular intersection the slope is [tex]-\frac{1}{m}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the derivative and then took the negative reciprocal of the derivative.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -\frac{1}{2kx}[/tex]

Then I isolated the variables on different sides and then integrated. I ended up with:

[tex]y+ \frac{1}{2k}*ln(|x|) = 0 [/tex]

My problem is when I graph the two functions there is only one intersection and I was wondering if there was any flaws in my logic I used to reach my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget that you get a constant +C when you integrate.

so

[tex]
y+ \frac{1}{2k}*ln(|x|) = 0
[/tex]

would actually be

[tex]
y+ \frac{1}{2k}*ln(|x|) = C
[/tex]

Related to Intersection of a parabola with another curve

1. What is the general method for finding the intersection of a parabola with another curve?

The general method for finding the intersection of a parabola with another curve is to set the equations of the two curves equal to each other and then solve for the variables. This will give you the coordinates of the intersection points.

2. Can a parabola intersect another curve at more than two points?

Yes, it is possible for a parabola to intersect another curve at more than two points. This will depend on the specific equations of the two curves and their relationship to each other.

3. How can you determine if a parabola and another curve are tangent at their intersection point?

If a parabola and another curve are tangent at their intersection point, it means that they share a common tangent line at that point. This can be determined by finding the derivative of both curves and setting them equal to each other at the intersection point. If the resulting equation has only one solution, then the curves are tangent at that point.

4. Is it possible for a parabola and another curve to not intersect?

Yes, it is possible for a parabola and another curve to not intersect. This can happen if the two curves do not share any common points or if their equations do not allow for any solutions when set equal to each other.

5. How does the position of the parabola's vertex affect its intersection with another curve?

The position of the parabola's vertex can affect its intersection with another curve by shifting the parabola's position on the coordinate plane. This can change the number and location of the intersection points with the other curve.