Intersection of paraboloid and normal line

In summary, the problem asks for the point where the normal line to the paraboloid z=x^2+y^2 at (1,1,2) intersects the paraboloid a second time. The equation of the normal line is 0=2x+2y-1. However, this is the equation of a plane that is normal to the xy plane, not the normal line. The next step would be to find the actual normal line and then find the points where it intersects the paraboloid. Posting the work for finding the normal line would help identify where the mistake was made.
Lute

Homework Statement

Where does the normal line to the paraboloid z=x^2+y^2 at the point (1,1,2) intersect the paraboloid a second time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the normal line to be 0=2x+2y-1, but I'm not sure what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
find the two points that satisfy both equations

However, a quick look at your line equation suggests to me that it is the equation of a plane that is normal to the xy plane so the solution would be a 2D parabola; not what you're looking for.

Is there any you recommend I should try and do?

first find the LINE asked for, not a plane (which isn't what was asked for) and then do what I suggested in post #2

EDIT: you say you have found the line. Post your work so we can help you see where you went wrong and got a plane instead.

1. What is the intersection point between a paraboloid and a normal line?

The intersection point between a paraboloid and a normal line is where the normal line is tangent to the paraboloid. This point is also known as the point of tangency.

2. How do you find the normal line to a paraboloid?

To find the normal line to a paraboloid, you first need to find the gradient of the paraboloid at the point of intersection. Then, you can use this gradient to find the equation of the normal line using the point-slope formula.

3. Can a paraboloid intersect a normal line at more than one point?

No, a paraboloid can only intersect a normal line at one point. This is because a normal line is always perpendicular to the tangent line of a curve, and a paraboloid only has one tangent line at any given point.

4. What is the significance of the intersection of a paraboloid and a normal line?

The intersection of a paraboloid and a normal line is significant because it represents the point where the normal line is tangent to the paraboloid. This point is important in understanding the shape and behavior of the paraboloid at that particular point.

5. Can a normal line be parallel to a paraboloid?

No, a normal line cannot be parallel to a paraboloid. This is because a normal line is always perpendicular to the tangent line of a curve, and a paraboloid only has one tangent line at any given point. If the normal line were parallel to the paraboloid, it would not intersect with it.