What is the shape of the curve z = x^2 + 2y^2 and how can it be sketched?

• Thread starter tensor0910
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch the curve z = x2 + 2y2 and determine its shape. The participants suggest sketching traces and cross sections for different values of z to better visualize the curve. It is determined that the curve is an elliptic paraboloid due to the coefficient of 2 in front of the y2 term. The conversation also covers the concept of cross-sections and how they can be used to understand the shape of a curve.
tensor0910
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
Sketch the curve z = x2 + 2y2

Homework Equations

None[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

: [/B]The easiest thing to do is to sketch the traces at x, y and z = 0. I'm 95% sure its an elliptic paraboloid, but the 2 in front of the Y is really throwing me off. Should we divide everything by 2 and have an ellipse with a radius of √2 and 1? If that's the case then when we set Y to 0 ( for example ) we get z = 2x2 and were right back where we started...Im kinda lost here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a given ## z=z_o ## in a plane parallel to the x-y plane we have ## z_o=x^2+2y^2 ## which, can be put in the standard form on ellipse with ## \frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1 ##. What is ## a ## and ## b ## for this case? ## \\ ## The case where you looked at the plane ## y=0 ## is correct, in that going upward in ## z ##, a cross section of this thing is a parabola. The cross section through any plane ## Ax+By=0 ## , will give a parabola of the form ## z=C (x')^2 ## where ## x' ## is the coordinate along this plane perpendicular to ## z##.

Last edited:
Likes tensor0910
tensor0910 said:
I'm 95% sure its an elliptic paraboloid, but the 2 in front of the Y is really throwing me off. Should we divide everything by 2 and have an ellipse with a radius of √2 and 1?
The coefficient of 2 on the y2 term is why this surface is an elliptic paraboloid. If that coefficient had been 1, all the horizontal sections would have been circular. All of the horizontal cross-sections (i.e., in planes parallel to the x-y plane) are ellipses, except for when both x and y are zero.

Sketching traces is a good start, but you should also include cross sections or level curves for various values of z.

For example, when z = 0, you get a single point. When z= 1, the cross section is the ellipse ##x^2 + 2y^2 = 1##. The same thinkiing applies for other values of ##z \ge 0##.

Edit: Cross-sections are especially helpful when you have the sum of squares of two of the variables (cross sections are circles) or expressions like ##ax^2 + by^2## (elliptical cross sections). This advice applies not just for expressions involving x and y, but any two of the variables.

Last edited:
Likes tensor0910 and Charles Link
I'm starting to get it.

I was doubting my answers b/c I was having trouble visualizing the sketch ( a huge weakness of mine ). I thought that an elliptic paraboloid would make
perfect parabolas on the yz and xz plane, but if that were the case the sketch would turn into a circle. I'm back on track now. Thanks for the help!

Likes Charles Link
They make "perfect" parabolas on the yz and xz plane, but they are not identical parabolas. The parabola on the yz plane is ## z=2y^2 ##, and the parabola on the xz plane is ## z=x^2 ##.

What is the equation of the curve?

The equation of the curve is z = x^2 + 2y^2.

What type of curve is it?

This is a quadratic curve, specifically a paraboloid in three-dimensional space.

What are the key features of the curve?

The key features of the curve include a minimum point at the origin, and the curve extends infinitely in all directions.

What is the orientation of the curve?

The curve is oriented along the z-axis, with the x and y coordinates determining the shape of the paraboloid.

How can I graph this curve?

To graph this curve, you can plot points with different values for x and y, and then connect them to create a visual representation of the paraboloid. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to generate the graph for you.