Interval of convergence

In summary: But it's OK for helpers to point out errors. My only other comment is that your estimate for ##n!## has a very crude error, as you will see if you compare it with the lower and upper bounds.
Silviu

Homework Statement

Find the interval of convergence of: ##\sum\frac{n^n}{n!}z^n##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I obtained that the radius of convergence is ##1/e## but I am not sure what to do at the end points. For ##z=1/e## I would have ##\sum{n^n}{n!e^n}##.
Mod edit: I think you mean ##\sum \frac{n^n}{n!e^n}##.
Using Stirling formula I would obtain an approximation of the form ##\sum \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi n}}##, which would go to infinity. However I am not sure how to make it formal, as this approximation is not a lower, but an upper bound for n!. And how should I proceed for -1/e? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:

Homework Statement

Find the interval of convergence of: ##\sum\frac{n^n}{n!}z^n##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I obtained that the radius of convergence is ##1/e## but I am not sure what to do at the end points. For ##z=1/e## I would have ##\sum{n^n}{n!e^n}##. Using Stirling formula I would obtain an approximation of the form ##\sum \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi n}}##, which would go to infinity. However I am not sure how to make it formal, as this approximation is not a lower, but an upper bound for n!. And how should I proceed for -1/e? Thank you!

As shown in Volume I of Fuller's probability book, we have rigorous lower and upper bounds:
$$\sqrt{2 \pi n} \, n^n e^{-n} < n! < \sqrt{2 \pi n} \, n^n e^{-n + 1/(12 n)} $$
for all integers ##n \geq 1##. For example, for ##n = 1## and ##n = 2## these give ##0.922137 < 1! < 1.00227## and ##1.919004 < 2! < 2.00065##. Note that the upper bound is a very much better approximation to ##n!## than the simple Stirling formula, and is quite accurate even for ##n## as small as ##1## or ##2## (getting ever more accurate with larger ##n##).

Feller's book may be found in
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471257087/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A free, on-line version is at
https://eclass.uop.gr/modules/document/file.php/TST103/%CE%A3%CF%85%CE%BC%CF%80%CE%BB%CE%B7%CF%81%CF%89%CE%BC%CE%B1%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AC%20%CE%AD%CE%BD%CF%84%CF%85%CF%80%CE%B1/FellerProbabilityVol1.pdf

Look, in particular, in Chapter II, pp. 52--54.

Ray Vickson said:
As shown in Volume I of Fuller's probability book, we have rigorous lower and upper bounds:
$$\sqrt{2 \pi n} \, n^n e^{-n} < n! < \sqrt{2 \pi n} \, n^n e^{-n + 1/(12 n)} $$
for all integers ##n \geq 1##. For example, for ##n = 1## and ##n = 2## these give ##0.922137 < 1! < 1.00227## and ##1.919004 < 2! < 2.00065##. Note that the upper bound is a very much better approximation to ##n!## than the simple Stirling formula, and is quite accurate even for ##n## as small as ##1## or ##2## (getting ever more accurate with larger ##n##).

Feller's book may be found in
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471257087/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A free, on-line version is at
https://eclass.uop.gr/modules/document/file.php/TST103/%CE%A3%CF%85%CE%BC%CF%80%CE%BB%CE%B7%CF%81%CF%89%CE%BC%CE%B1%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AC%20%CE%AD%CE%BD%CF%84%CF%85%CF%80%CE%B1/FellerProbabilityVol1.pdf

Look, in particular, in Chapter II, pp. 52--54.
Thank you, but this still doesn't answer my question...

Silviu said:
Thank you, but this still doesn't answer my question...

Yes, it does. You needed an upper bound (on ##n!##) and you got one. What you do with it is up to you. It is against PF rules for a helper to solve a problem, except, possibly, to show an easier or shorter way to deal with a correct solution that has already been posted.

Last edited:

1. What is an interval of convergence?

An interval of convergence is a range of values for which a power series, or an infinite sum of terms, converges to a specific value. It is typically represented as (a, b), where a and b are the lower and upper bounds of the interval, respectively.

2. How is the interval of convergence determined?

The interval of convergence is determined by finding the values of x for which the series converges. This can be done by using various tests such as the Ratio Test, Root Test, or the Comparison Test.

3. What does it mean when a series has a finite interval of convergence?

If a series has a finite interval of convergence, it means that the series converges for all values of x within that interval, and diverges for values outside of that interval. In other words, the values of x that fall within the interval are the only values for which the series will converge.

4. Can the interval of convergence be negative?

Yes, the interval of convergence can be negative. The interval can be negative if the series has a negative power, such as (-1)^n, or if the series has terms that alternate between positive and negative values.

5. How is the interval of convergence used in real-world applications?

The interval of convergence is used in many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering, to approximate functions and solve differential equations. It is also used in finance to calculate compound interest and in statistics to analyze data. In general, the interval of convergence helps to determine the accuracy and range of validity for a given series.