Interview with a Theoretical Physicist: Garrett Lisi - Comments

In summary, Garrett Lisi grew up in San Diego and is familiar with many of the breaks in the area. He also has a background in surfing and says this has influenced how he approaches physics.
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Interview with a Theoretical Physicist: Garrett Lisi

garrettlisi-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes 1oldman2
Physics news on Phys.org
"Tell us a little bit about growing up in San Diego"

I have a pretty similar history of the surf sport as Garrett according to this post. I grew up in Ventura in the late 70's and in middle school got turned on to surfing where I surfed mostly at this place called "surfer's point" which was down by the Ventura pier. I then went to high school in Hawaii (Oahu) where I surfed pretty much every break on the Island at one time or another. I also surfed breaks on the Big island during a family vacation and on Kauai when I was picked to represent my HS in the state golf championship. Later on after HS I surfed a few breaks on a trip to Maui I took but the surf wasn't so great that week. I spent most of the time in Lahaina bars working on my bar tan.

After HS I went to undergraduate school at UCSB in Santa Barbara. I'm sure Garret is familiar with "campus point" right there by the lagoon on campus and, of course Rincon just a ways south. Also, off the campus of UCSB is a shore break called "sands" beach which is typically a close-out but if the swell is right it can be righteous, dude.

Finally, I also lived in San Diego down by the pier in Ocean beach during the mid-90's for a while while I was finishing up a degree at SDSU. So I'm also familiar with most of the breaks in the San Diego area as well as many in Baja on a few trips we took down there in the 80's where we usually got extorted by the Federalies. And that was back when it was calm in Mexico! I'm sure Garrett is familiar with many of the breaks I'm referring to here.

Has your pursuit of adventure sports influenced how you approach physics (vice-versa)?

While Garrett was probably struggling with understanding the wave functions of quantum mechanics, I was struggling with understanding the wave dynamics of chaotic oscillations in the neocortex as they related to behavior and cognition in mammals. I always thought that my experienced with surfing, especially in my formative years when I was building primary neuro-repertoires REALLY helped me in this pursuit. Sitting out in the surf for hours upon hours a day (sometimes 8 hours or more), which I used to do in high school, you really get built into your biology the kinesthetic and proprioceptic sense of wave dynamics built into your neural assemblies, which I believe affect the efficacy as to how well you can understand wave dynamics intuitively.

For example, at many breaks you don't just run into the surf from the sandbar, you have to have to stand at the edge of a cliff and wait for a wave to come in and time it perfectly in order to not get killed. Even if you did time it right you typically got caught in a major cross-current where you really got the message of what a standing wave felt like. You can also get this effect off of a steep sandbar but it's not really the same as when you get caught in a cove on a big surf day. In the cove you're being hit from multiple sides at once, and I truly think that gave me an advanced intuitive sense of how standing wave dynamics work over someone that didn't surf.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Garrett looks like Vin Diesel in that pic!

Nice interview.

Nice header logo for the article! It makes use of my artwork based on a (slightly) modified Lisi model for particle assignments within E8. I too use it as a header image for my online presence. http://theoryofeverything.org/theToE/

1. What is the background of Garrett Lisi?

Garrett Lisi is an American theoretical physicist who was born in 1968. He received his undergraduate degree in mathematics and physics from the University of California, Los Angeles and his Ph.D. in theoretical physics from the University of California, San Diego.

2. What is the significance of his "Theory of Everything"?

Lisi's "Theory of Everything", also known as the E8 Theory, attempts to unify all known fundamental forces and particles in a single mathematical framework. This has been a long-standing goal in the field of physics and if successful, it could provide a deeper understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new discoveries.

3. How has Lisi's theory been received by the scientific community?

Lisi's theory has been met with both praise and criticism from the scientific community. While some have praised its elegance and potential, others have raised concerns about its lack of experimental evidence and its ability to make testable predictions.

4. What are some potential applications of Lisi's theory?

If Lisi's theory is proven to be correct, it could have a wide range of applications. It could potentially lead to advancements in areas such as quantum computing, space travel, and energy production.

5. What are Lisi's current research interests?

Lisi's current research interests include quantum gravity, particle physics, and cosmology. He is also studying the potential implications of his E8 Theory and working on refining and expanding upon it.