Intricacies of Applying to Graduate Studies

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's plan to apply for a master's degree in Civil Engineering (structural) and their concerns about choosing a university and approaching professors about their research interests. The conversation also included a recommendation for the University of McGill and a reminder to do thorough research on potential schools and reach out to professors and engineering societies for guidance.
CivilSigma
Hello,

I am planning to apply for a masters in Civil Engineering (structural) and I am a bit overwhelmed with how to start.

My first issue, does the university name matter? Due to recommendation from friends, family and online rankings I am considering: University of McGill, University of McMaster and University of Ottawa. Does anyone recommend a particular institution in Canada? I know that it is the type of research that is most important but at the same time I would like to pick a university that is renowned for reputation.

My second problem, is how to approach the professors about my interest in research. How do I avoid seeming uncertain / vague about the research topics? because I only know that I want to do something structural related. As this is step 1 in applying to a masters, can some one please share with me their experiences on how they approached those initial interactions with their supervisors?

And if one one has any tips for applying to graduate studies I will really appreciate it.

Likes CarmineS
Physics news on Phys.org
CivilSigma said:
Hello,

I am planning to apply for a masters in Civil Engineering (structural) and I am a bit overwhelmed with how to start.

My first issue, does the university name matter? Due to recommendation from friends, family and online rankings I am considering: University of McGill, University of McMaster and University of Ottawa. Does anyone recommend a particular institution in Canada? I know that it is the type of research that is most important but at the same time I would like to pick a university that is renowned for reputation.

My second problem, is how to approach the professors about my interest in research. How do I avoid seeming uncertain / vague about the research topics? because I only know that I want to do something structural related. As this is step 1 in applying to a masters, can some one please share with me their experiences on how they approached those initial interactions with their supervisors?

And if one one has any tips for applying to graduate studies I will really appreciate it.

Hey CivilSigma, I just wanted to thank you for the help explaining your academic experiences with me.

Employers do look at the name of universities. A recent study (I tried looking through Google Scholar but couldn't find it) states that the name of the university, for engineering degree holders only results in a 3.4% increase in pay, but they were MUCH more employed than the other ones. You pay more for an education but don't get paid more! Anyway, my answer for what university you should go to may be a bit biased. I would say that you should go to University of McGill. That's where my mother graduated from and she says she enjoyed her time there. You are worried about being vague or uncertain with your professors? If this is a topic you are willing to research, then it is a topic you are passionate about. Sit down and do some research until you are certain about your topic.

All the best,

CarmineS
P.S. I'm only 13, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Likes CivilSigma
Actually, I have been thinking about McGill as choice #1.
And yea, I do need to sit down and research certain topics of interest.
Thanks for sharing the research info too.

-CivilSigma

1. In Canada the school name tends not to matter as much. Certain schools will tend to have connections with specific segments or businesses in the industry so do your research. Find out where recent grads are ending up.
  2. Talk to your current professors and tell them what you are interested in learning more about. No one expects an undergrad to be an expert. If your current school has an engineering society, you could try contacting them too. They might be able to point you to specific profs who have research projects or connect you with current grad students who might have some inside information.

Likes CivilSigma

1. What is the purpose of applying to graduate studies?

Applying to graduate studies allows individuals to further their education in a specific field of study, gain advanced knowledge and skills, and potentially pursue a career in academia or industry.

2. What are the basic requirements for graduate school applications?

The basic requirements for graduate school applications vary depending on the program and institution, but generally include a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, letters of recommendation, transcripts, standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT), and a personal statement or essay.

3. How do I choose the right graduate school and program?

Choosing the right graduate school and program can be a daunting task. Some factors to consider include the program's reputation, faculty members and their research interests, location, cost and financial aid options, and career opportunities after graduation.

4. When is the best time to apply for graduate studies?

The best time to apply for graduate studies is typically in the fall, about a year before the desired start date. However, some programs may have different application deadlines, so it is important to research and plan accordingly.

5. What can I do to improve my chances of being accepted into a graduate program?

To improve your chances of being accepted into a graduate program, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant experience in the field, strong letters of recommendation, a compelling personal statement, and a well-rounded application. It can also be helpful to network with faculty members and current graduate students in your field of interest.