Intro to 3-Phase AC Motors: Understanding Wattmeter Measurements | Help Needed

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ohadbx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Motors
In summary: I think I understand now.In summary, the wattmeter will measure the voltage, current, and power in each phase of the motor.
ohadbx

Homework Statement

hello everyone
I'm a little confused with the whole 3- phase system.
for example:
An AC motor is connected to a 3-phase R-S-T system with 400 volts.
The motor is in Delta configuration and every load is Z=1+2.5j .
A wattmeter is connected between the RS lines.
W=|VRS|*|IR|*cos(∠IR-∠VRS)=?

I tried solving using differenet methods we were taught, but every way i try i get a different result.

For example: 1) I thought that the wattmeter will measure the Real Power of a single load, which should be a third of the total Real Power of the motor. so:
attachment.php?attachmentid=63770&stc=1&d=1383936769.jpg

on the other hand:
attachment.php?attachmentid=63775&stc=1&d=1383937564.jpg

I'm starting to feel lost in this, so any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Maybe I should have done a Y-DELTA transformation? Although I'm not sure what good would that do...

Thank you and have a great weekend

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 424
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
A wattmeter connected as described will sense the voltage of each phase of the motor, but it will sense more than the current of a single phase of the motor, it will sense the phase current x √3.

With this correction, does that confirm your analysis?

Thank you for your reply

when I chekced the reading of the wattmeter (the second solution) I did multply the phase current by sqrt(3).
Or am I not getting your point?

What you calculated in the first step is the power in one phase of the motor. You will want to multiply this by √3 to compare it with your second calculation.

Where you write VRS / Z I think there is a missing √3.

and a warm greeting :smile: ... http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the nice greeting :smile:

Sadly, I am still unsure of what I am doing wrong.
This is my understaing of the setup:
attachment.php?attachmentid=63794&stc=1&d=13839952995.jpg

To my understanding, in a delta configuration (such as shown),
VLINE=VPHASE , so wouldn't that mean that IPHASE=[itex]\frac{V}{Z}[/itex]? where does the √3 come from (if I want to use the power formula I mentioned in the first solution)?

BTW it has come to my attention that this question was originally a multiple-choise question.
The possible answers were: A. (-44.03) B. 22.07 C. (-14.68) D. 66.21 (all in [kW])
bit I have no Idea which is the correct one.

Attachments

• Note_20131106_184216_2.pdf
    64.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Note_20131109_125608_01.jpg
    Note_20131109_125608_01.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 355
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 430
A wattmeter has 2 pairs of sensing coils, one for voltage and another for current. I think it is unreasonable to believe you can routinely break open a delta motor and connect something in series with one of its phases to sense phase current!

You performed 2 calculations. Basically, the first is for 1/3 of the motor's power. The second is for 1/3 of (√3 of the motor's power).

My contention is that the best you can do is to have the wattmeter measuring the latter (whether you like it or not), sensing VRS and IR. You can't sense the motor's phase current, even if you wish you could. Well, that's my thinking.

A wattmeter is connected between the RS lines.
Is that the wording of the original question? It sounds a sloppy way of expressing the arrangement.

It seems motor phase power is 22kW and total power is 66kW. So they must want the answer of 22kW.

Likes 1 person
NascentOxygen said:
Is that the wording of the original question? It sounds a sloppy way of expressing the arrangement.
Yes, that is the original statement, and in addition there is a drawing like the one I have posted.

I agree with you, I also think the right answer is 22. That means I shouldn't have multiplied by √3 in second solution, but the reason escapes me.

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
ohadbx said:
Yes, that is the original statement, and in addition there is a drawing like the one I have posted.
I'd like to see the original drawing. Can you attach it here?

here you go, though its not very informative.
The switches are for a different, unrelated, part of the question- the setup is changed to Wye.
attachment.php?attachmentid=63854&stc=1&d=1384200685.jpg

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 394
So it looks like the construction brings out the ends of each motor phase so that you can connect a meter in series with a single phase of the motor to meter the phase current! (Or at least it is intended to represent that.)

Thanks.

1. What is a 3-phase AC motor?

A 3-phase AC motor is a type of electric motor that operates using three alternating current phases. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial applications due to its efficiency, reliability, and ability to provide high torque output.

2. How does a 3-phase AC motor work?

A 3-phase AC motor works by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction. The motor has three sets of windings, each connected to a different phase of alternating current. When the current flows through the windings, it creates a rotating magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets in the motor, causing it to rotate.

3. What are the benefits of using a 3-phase AC motor?

There are several benefits to using a 3-phase AC motor. These include high efficiency, low maintenance, and high torque output. They also have a longer lifespan and can operate at variable speeds, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

4. How do you control the speed of a 3-phase AC motor?

The speed of a 3-phase AC motor can be controlled by varying the frequency of the alternating current supplied to the motor. This can be done using a variable frequency drive (VFD), which adjusts the frequency of the current to change the motor's speed.

5. What are some common applications of 3-phase AC motors?

3-phase AC motors are commonly used in industrial and commercial settings, such as in pumps, fans, compressors, conveyors, and machine tools. They are also used in household appliances like refrigerators, air conditioners, and washing machines.