Invariance of integration measure under shifts in field

In summary, the conversation discusses the invariance of the integration measure ##\mathcal{D}\phi(x)## under shifts in the field in the path integral formulation of quantum field theory. This is due to the fact that the shift term is independent of the field configuration at each spacetime point, as demonstrated in the "lattice version" of the problem.
"Don't panic!"
I've been trying to teach myself the path integral formulation of quantum field theory and there's a point that's really bugging me: why is the integration measure ##\mathcal{D}\phi(x)## invariant under shifts in the field of the form $$\phi(x)\rightarrow\tilde{\phi}(x)=\phi(x)+\int d^{4}y\Delta(x-y)J(y),\qquad\mathcal{D}\phi(x)\rightarrow\mathcal{D}\tilde{\phi}(x)$$ (where ##\Delta(x-y)## is a Green's function corresponding to the differential operator ##\Box + m^{2}## and ##J(x)## is a source).
Is it simply because the shift term ##\int d^{4}y\Delta(x-y)J(y)## is independent of the field configuration ##\phi(x)## at each spacetime point, or is there more to it than that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's it! If you are in doubt about some operation in path integration, just think about it in the "lattice version", i.e., consider space and time to be a finite 4D grid of discrete points. Then you have just a usual multidimensional integral. Then it's indeed clear that the integration measure does not change by just shifting all integration variables by arbitrary constants.

vanhees71 said:
Yes, that's it! If you are in doubt about some operation in path integration, just think about it in the "lattice version", i.e., consider space and time to be a finite 4D grid of discrete points. Then you have just a usual multidimensional integral. Then it's indeed clear that the integration measure does not change by just shifting all integration variables by arbitrary constants.

Ah OK ,great, I thought that was probably the case, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the concept of "invariance of integration measure under shifts in field"?

The invariance of integration measure under shifts in field refers to the property of an integral to remain unchanged when the variable of integration is shifted by a fixed amount. In other words, the value of the integral remains the same even if the function being integrated is shifted by a constant value.

2. How is the invariance of integration measure under shifts in field related to the concept of translation invariance?

The invariance of integration measure under shifts in field is closely related to the concept of translation invariance, which is the property of a system to remain unchanged when it is translated by a fixed amount. In the context of integration, the invariance of integration measure under shifts in field is a manifestation of translation invariance.

3. What are some examples of functions that exhibit invariance of integration measure under shifts in field?

Some common examples of functions that exhibit invariance of integration measure under shifts in field include polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. For instance, the integral of a polynomial remains the same even if it is shifted by a constant value.

4. Why is the invariance of integration measure under shifts in field an important concept in mathematics?

The invariance of integration measure under shifts in field is an important concept in mathematics because it allows for simplification and generalization of many mathematical problems. It also helps in understanding the underlying structure of functions and their behavior. Furthermore, it is a fundamental property of many physical systems, making it essential in various scientific fields.

5. How is the invariance of integration measure under shifts in field used in practical applications?

The invariance of integration measure under shifts in field has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For instance, it is used in signal processing to analyze and extract information from signals that are shifted in time. It is also utilized in probability theory to calculate the probability of events that are shifted in space or time. Additionally, it is used in economics to analyze the impact of changes in variables on economic systems.