Putnam problem on matrices + invertibility

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary: I would have tried to find a different way to solve the problem.So what got me stuck was that I was convinced that I should have been trying to prove something with determinants. How did you know that determinants wouldn't be involved?If I knew beforehand that using determinants would be... difficult, I would have tried to find a different way to solve the problem.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##A## and ##B## be different ##n \times n## with real entries. If ##A^3 = B^3## and ##A^2 B = B^2 A##, can ##A^2 + B^2## be invertible?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, first of all I am just trying to interpret the question correctly. Does "can ##A^2 + B^2## be invertible" mean "does there exist distinct matrices A and B such that ##A^2+B^2## is invertible" or does it mean "prove that ##A^2 + B^2## is invertible for all A and B"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##A## and ##B## be different ##n \times n## with real entries. If ##A^3 = B^3## and ##A^2 B = B^2 A##, can ##A^2 + B^2## be invertible?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, first of all I am just trying to interpret the question correctly. Does "can ##A^2 + B^2## be invertible" mean "does there exist distinct matrices A and B such that ##A^2+B^2## is invertible" or does it mean "prove that ##A^2 + B^2## is invertible for all A and B"?
It means, prove or disprove that ##C:=A^2+B^2## is invertible for all matrices ##A## and ##B## which satisfy the conditions ##A^3=B^3## and ##A^2B=B^2A##.

So either ##C## is never invertible, or we have to find a case, i.e. certain matrices ##A## and ##B## with these conditions, that make ##C## regular. Since this looks not quite easy, I assume the conditions on ##A## and ##B## force ##C## to be not invertible.

Correction: What if ##A## and ##B## are diagonal matrices?

fresh_42 said:
It means, prove or disprove that ##C:=A^2+B^2## is invertible for all matrices ##A## and ##B## which satisfy the conditions ##A^3=B^3## and ##A^2B=B^2A##.

So either ##C## is never invertible, or we have to find a case, i.e. certain matrices ##A## and ##B## with these conditions, that make ##C## regular. Since this looks not quite easy, I assume the conditions on ##A## and ##B## force ##C## to be not invertible.

Correction: What if ##A## and ##B## are diagonal matrices?
If A and B were diagonal, and if ##A^3 = B^3##, wouldn't that imply that ##A = B##, which violates the condition that ##A \neq B##?

Oh, I missed this little word different. You should have written it ##A\neq B## in the first place. :wink:
And this is the road to the solution, a contradiction to this condition.

fresh_42 said:
Oh, I missed this little word different. You should have written it ##A\neq B## in the first place. :wink:
Sorry, I just pasted the question word-for-word.

So as of right now should I be trying to show that ##\det(A^2 + B^2) = 0##, given the conditions?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Sorry, I just pasted the question word-for-word.

So as of right now should I be trying to show that ##\det(A^2 + B^2) = 0##, given the conditions?
No sorry, that was a joke. I once said: "I'm a guy, you have to shout!"

Anyway, it's far easier than that. What is ##(A^2+B^2)\cdot A## ?

fresh_42 said:
No sorry, that was a joke. I once said: "I'm a guy, you have to shout!"

Anyway, it's far easier than that. What is ##(A^2+B^2)\cdot A## ?
Well, ##(A^2 + B^2)A = A^3 + B^2 A = A^3 + A^2 B = A^2 (A+B)## or ##A^3 + B^2 A = B^3 + A^2 B = (A^2 + B^2)B##, but I don't see where any of those two expressions get me. What exactly am I trying to show, if I am not trying to show that ##\det (A^2 + B^2) = 0##? That ##\det (A^2 + B^2) \neq 0##

You have ##(A^2+B^2)A=(A^2+B^2)B##. Why do you stop here? Write it with ##C=A^2+B^2## if this is easier. I don't think that you have a chance to get your hands on the determinant and if, certainly not the easy way.

fresh_42 said:
You have ##(A^2+B^2)A=(A^2+B^2)B##. Why do you stop here? Write it with ##C=A^2+B^2## if this is easier. I don't think that you have a chance to get your hands on the determinant and if, certainly not the easy way.
So... we have CA = CB. If C were invertible, then A = B, which is a contradiction. Hence C is not invertible. Is that right?

Likes fresh_42
Mr Davis 97 said:
So... we have CA = CB. If C were invertible, then A = B, which is a contradiction. Hence C is not invertible. Is that right?
Yes. It's even shorter than mine. I wrote ##(A^2+B^2)(A-B) = C(A-B)=0## and with ##A \neq B## we have an element in the image of ##A-B## which is not zero, and thus has to be in the kernel of ##C=A^2+B^2##.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
Yes. It's even shorter than mine. I wrote ##(A^2+B^2)(A-B) = C(A-B)=0## and with ##A \neq B## we have an element in the image of ##A-B## which is not zero, and thus has to be in the kernel of ##C=A^2+B^2##.
So what got me stuck was that I was convinced that I should have been trying to prove something with determinants. How did you know that determinants wouldn't be involved? If I knew beforehand that using determinants would be futile, I could have gotten the answer quite easily.

Mr Davis 97 said:
So what got me stuck was that I was convinced that I should have been trying to prove something with determinants. How did you know that determinants wouldn't be involved? If I knew beforehand that using determinants would be futile, I could have gotten the answer quite easily.
We both used ##A \neq B## and as you have mentioned as answer to my suggestion of diagonal matrices, it's really necessary. But if we apply the determinant, e.g. on ##C(A-B)=0## we get ##\det C = 0## or ##\det (A-B) = 0##. But how can we exclude the second case? The determinant can well be zero without the matrices being equal. The same goes for your equation ##CA=CB## and then ##\det A = \det B##. The determinant "destroys" some properties in the sense that it makes some different matrices indistinguishable. As we now know that ##A^2+B^2## cannot be regular, there might be a way to operate with determinants, I just don't see one and the multiplication ##(A^2+B^2)A## was too tempting. I probably did too many calculations in groups in my life, so it became somehow natural to play with them as I saw the commutation conditions given.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:

Usually we try to avoid determinants of sums, so try to stay away from things like ##\det(A+B)##. If you look at the horrible formulas for the determinant of a sum, you will see why.

Likes Mr Davis 97 and fresh_42

1. What is the Putnam problem on matrices + invertibility?

The Putnam problem on matrices + invertibility is a famous mathematical problem from the William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition. It involves determining the number of invertible n x n matrices with entries that are either 0 or 1.

2. Why is the Putnam problem on matrices + invertibility important?

The Putnam problem on matrices + invertibility is important because it challenges students to think critically and creatively to solve a complex mathematical problem. It also has real-life applications in areas such as computer science and engineering.

3. How difficult is the Putnam problem on matrices + invertibility?

The Putnam problem on matrices + invertibility is considered to be a very difficult problem, even for advanced mathematics students. Many students spend months or even years trying to solve it.

4. Are there any known solutions to the Putnam problem on matrices + invertibility?

Yes, there are a few known solutions to the Putnam problem on matrices + invertibility. However, the problem is still considered unsolved as there is no general formula or algorithm for finding the number of invertible matrices.

5. How can I approach solving the Putnam problem on matrices + invertibility?

To approach solving the Putnam problem on matrices + invertibility, it is important to have a strong understanding of linear algebra and combinatorics. It also helps to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and to think outside the box in terms of finding patterns and connections.