Investigating Comet 67P's Elliptical Orbit

In summary, the conversation involves trying to prove the "conservation of energy" concept in a comet's elliptical orbit by finding the mechanical energy of the aphelion and perihelion points. However, the calculated values for both points are not equal. The equations used include the mechanical energy equation and the velocity equation. The issue of using inconsistent units and an excessive number of decimal places is also brought up. The goal is to find the remaining time for comet 67P to reach its perihelion point, but it is acknowledged that this may be a complex task for a high school math report.
paintingstars

Homework Statement

Currently, I am trying to prove the "conservation of energy" concept within a comet's elliptical orbit by finding the mechanical energy of the aphelion and perihelion point to see if they're equal. However, they don't equal each other when I calculate both points.
upload_2015-3-16_18-53-9.png

(aphelion, perihelion and semi-major axis given in AU)
Comet Mass: 2.8x1012 kg

Homework Equations

I understand that the mechanical energy equation is:
upload_2015-3-16_18-49-39.png

and that to find the velocity variable, the equation must be rearranged by substituting ME with MEbound
upload_2015-3-16_18-51-0.png
to obtain this:

upload_2015-3-16_18-50-7.png

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2015-3-16_18-54-22.png

Thank you in advance for the help! I'm actually not a physics student, so all these astrophysics concepts are new to me. I'm doing it for a math report investigating comet 67P's elliptical orbits. While I'm posting this thread, I'm also having trouble coming up with a way to find the amount of time it will take comet 67P to reach its perihelion point given its current distance from the sun in the orbit. I'm aware of Kepler's 2nd Law, so I know I can't find the average speed of the comet since it varies along its orbit. Is there a way for me to find the remaining amount of time the comet has before reaching its perihelion? Its current position is at 312.78 Million Km. I'd prefer if the equation or solution was simple (much simpler than Kepler's equation), as this is just a high school math report that's too advanced.

Thank you again!

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-16_18-49-3.png
    upload_2015-3-16_18-49-3.png
    9 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know whether this is your problem, but you need to use a consistent set of units. Specifically, you need to convert the AU to meters. As it is, your answers certainly are not in joules.

And you don't need to use an absurd number of decimal places in your calculations. You know the mass of the comet to only two significant figures (2.8*1012 kg).

For reference, the speed of light is 299 792 458 m / s. Comets (and everything else) travel at less than this velocity. It's like a fundamental law of the Universe.

1. What is Comet 67P's elliptical orbit?

Comet 67P's elliptical orbit refers to the path that the comet follows around the sun. Unlike a circular orbit, an elliptical orbit is elongated and has varying distances from the sun at different points in its path.

2. How was the elliptical orbit of Comet 67P determined?

The elliptical orbit of Comet 67P was determined through observations and measurements taken by various spacecraft, including the Rosetta mission, which closely studied the comet for over two years. Scientists also used mathematical calculations and models to analyze the comet's trajectory.

3. Why is it important to investigate Comet 67P's elliptical orbit?

Investigating Comet 67P's elliptical orbit can provide valuable information about the formation and evolution of comets in our solar system. It can also help us understand the effects of the sun's gravity on comets and how they change over time.

4. How long is Comet 67P's elliptical orbit?

Comet 67P's elliptical orbit has a period of approximately 6.44 years. This means that it takes the comet 6.44 years to complete one full orbit around the sun.

5. What have scientists learned from studying Comet 67P's elliptical orbit?

Through studying Comet 67P's elliptical orbit, scientists have learned about the comet's composition, structure, and behavior. They have also gained insight into the processes that shape and change comets as they travel through the solar system.