Comet Elliptical Orbits Question

In summary: In other words, the comet is gaining energy as it moves towards the sun, and losing energy as it moves away from the sun.Expansion to:(1/2)(Mc)(v2^2) + -(G)(Me)(Mc)/(R) = (1/2)(Mc)(v1^2) + -(G)(Me)(Mc)/(R2)R = Distance of neptune from sunR2 = 8.79 x 10^7Is this what I do?Mc is the mass of the comet and Me is the mass of the body the comet is orbiting?Yes, this is the equation you should use.
Chaso

Homework Statement

Comets move around the sun in very elliptical orbits. At its closet approach, in 1986, Comet Halley was 8.79 x 10^7 km from the sun and moving with a speed of 54.6 km/s.

What was the comet's speed when it crossed Neptune's orbit in 2006?

Homework Equations

Mv1r1=Mv2r2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was use the equation above, and solve for v2. But it says I'm wrong. Any Suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you use for r2?
What did you get for v2?

For r2, I use the radius from Neptune to the sun.

Oh I see ... excuse me, didn;t read it properly.
That formula should be:

##\vec{r}_1\times m\vec{v}_1=\vec{r}_2\times m\vec{v}_2##

At Neptune's orbit, the velocity won't be tangential to the radius.

Chaso said:

Homework Statement

Comets move around the sun in very elliptical orbits. At its closet approach, in 1986, Comet Halley was 8.79 x 10^7 km from the sun and moving with a speed of 54.6 km/s.

What was the comet's speed when it crossed Neptune's orbit in 2006?

Homework Equations

Mv1r1=Mv2r2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was use the equation above, and solve for v2. But it says I'm wrong. Any Suggestions?

The formula you've chosen would apply when the velocities are both perpendicular to the radii, say at perihelion and at aphelion. Here this holds true for only one of the given points (the closest approach).

Instead, consider a conservation of energy approach.

gneill said:
The formula you've chosen would apply when the velocities are both perpendicular to the radii, say at perihelion and at aphelion. Here this holds true for only one of the given points (the closest approach).

Instead, consider a conservation of energy approach.
So use K2 + U2 = K1 + U1

expansion to:
(1/2)(Mc)(v2^2) + -(G)(Me)(Mc)/(R) = (1/2)(Mc)(v1^2) + -(G)(Me)(Mc)/(R2)

R = Distance of neptune from sun
R2 = 8.79 x 10^7

Is this what I do?

Last edited:
Mc is the mass of the comet and Me is the mass of the body the comet is orbiting?

Note: another way thinking about it is "potential energy gained equals kinetic energy lost".

1. What is a comet?

A comet is a small, icy body that orbits around the sun. They are made up of dust, gas, and ice, and can range in size from a few meters to tens of kilometers in diameter.

2. What is an elliptical orbit?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbit in which the object follows an elliptical path around another object, such as a planet or star. This means that the distance between the two objects varies throughout the orbit.

3. How does a comet's orbit differ from the orbit of a planet?

A comet's orbit is typically more elongated and tilted compared to the relatively circular and flat orbits of planets. Comets also have much longer orbital periods, ranging from a few years to thousands of years, while planets have much shorter orbital periods.

4. What causes a comet's elliptical orbit?

A comet's elliptical orbit is a result of the gravitational pull of the sun and other planets in the solar system. The shape and orientation of a comet's orbit can also be influenced by close encounters with other objects in the solar system.

5. How do scientists study the orbits of comets?

Scientists use telescopes and other instruments to observe and track the path of comets as they move through the solar system. They also use mathematical models and simulations to study the effects of gravitational forces and other factors on the orbits of comets.