Is a Muon/Anti-Muon Multiplier Possible?

• I
  • Thread starter HawkI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Muon
I hope the OP has found what he was looking for by now.In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a machine that can multiply the effect of muons and anti-muons, similar to a photomultiplier for photons. It is mentioned that photons and muons are very different particles, making it difficult to find a machine that can work for both. The conversation also touches on the mechanics of photomultipliers and the potential difficulties of creating a muon multiplying machine. The original poster expresses excitement and thanks for the helpful information provided by others in the conversation.
HawkI
Hello every one, I was looking through my physics dictionary for a machine that multiplies the effect of muons and anti muons but couldn't find anything.

I'm aware of the photomultiplier for photons but can't seem to find anything similar. Does anyone on this forum know of any such machine or how to go about drawing a blue print for one?

I can't imagine Photons and muons are too different.

Physics news on Phys.org
HawkI said:
Hello every one, I was looking through my physics dictionary for a machine that multiplies the effect of muons and anti muons but couldn't find anything.

I'm aware of the photomultiplier for photons but can't seem to find anything similar. Does anyone on this forum know of any such machine or how to go about drawing a blue print for one?

I can't imagine Photons and muons are too different.
Photons and muons are very different. Photons have no rest mass, have no charge, and are bosons. Muons are fermions, have an electric charge and have a rest mass. Muons are more like 'heavy electrons.'

Ah ok thank you, well that certainly raises my hopes for such a machine to exist or to be drawn on blue prints.

HawkI said:
raises

Raises? It should decrease them, not increase them.

Or maybe we could find or draw a machine similar to the photomultiplier. Yeah this is exciting for me,

HawkI said:
Or maybe we could find or draw a machine similar to the photomultiplier. Yeah this is exciting for me,

One of my research work was on high-speed photomultiplier for single-photon detector. Do you even know the mechanics of a "photomultiplier"?

BTW, why is this in the QM forum?

Zz.

Photomultipliers are actually electron multipliers: they use electrons to kick out more electrons from electrodes. There are no muons in those electrodes.

You can produce muons via the impact of high-energetic muons, but to get more than one on average you probably need at least tens of GeV. That is a kilometer-scale particle accelerator for each step, ignoring all the other issues such a concept would have. And where is the point?

HawkI said:
I'm aware of the photomultiplier for photons but can't seem to find anything similar [for muons]. Does anyone on this forum know of any such machine or how to go about drawing a blue print for one?

What exactly do you want to accomplish? It may be that what you are looking for isn't really analogous to what we call a "photomultiplier". See mfb's comment:

mfb said:
Photomultipliers are actually electron multipliers:

I'm wondering if your question is an example of an XY problem.

Likes Garlic
Hey this is all really good helpful stuff you're providing me with. I will look into it and come back with something hopefully more useful.

EDIT of course some people may want to keep X secret for a surprise to reward people who gave them help.

HawkI said:
EDIT of course some people may want to keep X secret for a surprise to reward people who gave them help.
This sounds extremely weird to me. What does it even MEAN ?

This thread is from March 2016.

1. What is a Muon / Anti Muon Multiplier?

A Muon / Anti Muon Multiplier is a device used in particle physics experiments to detect and measure muons and anti-muons. It consists of a series of layers of scintillator material and metal plates that generate an electrical signal when a muon or anti-muon passes through.

2. How does a Muon / Anti Muon Multiplier work?

A Muon / Anti Muon Multiplier works by detecting the charged particles produced when a muon or anti-muon passes through the layers of scintillator material. The charged particles ionize the gas inside the multiplier, creating a cascade effect that amplifies the signal and allows for precise detection and measurement of the particles.

3. What are the applications of a Muon / Anti Muon Multiplier?

Muon / Anti Muon Multipliers are used in various fields of research, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and nuclear physics. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, to detect and track the movement of radioactive particles in the body.

4. How is a Muon / Anti Muon Multiplier different from a traditional particle detector?

A Muon / Anti Muon Multiplier differs from traditional particle detectors in that it is specifically designed to detect and measure muons and anti-muons. It uses a unique technology that allows for efficient and precise detection of these particles, which are difficult to detect with other types of detectors.

5. What are the advantages of using a Muon / Anti Muon Multiplier?

One of the main advantages of using a Muon / Anti Muon Multiplier is its high sensitivity and efficiency in detecting muons and anti-muons. It also has a fast response time and can accurately measure the energy and direction of the particles. Additionally, it is a compact and cost-effective device, making it well-suited for use in various research applications.