Is AutoCAD 2000 lacking in table creation capabilities?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of tables in AutoCAD and the limitations of the software in this regard. Mike is looking for a way to create a table similar to a spreadsheet and is disappointed to learn that AutoCAD does not have a table creation tool. The other participants suggest manual creation or inserting an Excel spreadsheet using OLE. They also discuss the drawbacks of AutoCAD and the benefits of other software like Solidworks and Pro-E.
Mike Phan
Hi,

Anyone please help me out to create a table by AutoCAD 2000. Thank you very much!

Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tables don't create themselves. You do it manually. What exactly are you looking for?

I am doing it manually. It doesn't look professional, and it takes longer to add or delete cells, rows, or columns.
I want to create a table just like spreadsheet so that I can edit easily. Thanks

Mike

You can't - but you can insert an Excel spreadsheet.

Unfortunately, AutoCAD does not have any table creation tool. You have to do it manually. It's not terribly difficult to do. I would recommend that you keep your polar snaps on to keep the lines vertical and horizontal and use the multi-line text tool to keep the text in a single cell.

Make the first row of table blocks and then simply copy-multiple of the row as many times as you need.

Or, like Russ said, AutoCAD supports OLE so you can directly insert an Excel spreadsheet. I have never had too good of luck making this look right, but it's another option.

Thank you all! I used to do exactly as you said, but I saw someone uses Solidwork with table functionally works as spreadsheet. I couldn't believe AutoCAD dosn't support this function, so I am curious.

Again, thanks.
Mike

AutoCAD has it's definite drawbacks, especially in the eyes of an "automated" age that wants pretty shaded pictures. AutoCAD does have a lot of pluses, but it does make me wonder some times why they don't include certain functionalities that would make it a bit more user friendly and time efficient. Your table question is a great point. Why not include a small routine that allows you to create a table without having to manually draw the lines and add text yourself? I will say that Pro-E is nice when you do an assembly...BAM! There's your bill of materials and a nice table. It also spits out all of the detail balloons based on your table.

1. What is AutoCAD 2000?

AutoCAD 2000 is a computer-aided design software program used for creating 2D and 3D drawings and models. It is commonly used in the fields of architecture, engineering, and construction.

2. How do I create a table in AutoCAD 2000?

To create a table in AutoCAD 2000, go to the "Insert" tab and select "Table" from the drop-down menu. Then, choose the number of rows and columns you want in your table and click "OK."

3. Can I edit the table once it is created?

Yes, you can edit the table by selecting it and using the various tools and options in the "Table" tab. You can add or delete rows and columns, change the table's properties, and format the cells.

4. Is it possible to import data from Excel into an AutoCAD 2000 table?

Yes, you can import data from Excel into an AutoCAD 2000 table by using the "Data Link Manager" tool. This allows you to link an Excel file to your AutoCAD drawing and update the table automatically if the data in the Excel file changes.

5. How do I add formulas to an AutoCAD 2000 table?

To add formulas to an AutoCAD 2000 table, select the cell where you want the formula to be and click on the "Insert Formula" button in the "Table" tab. Then, enter the formula using the available options and click "OK." The formula will be automatically calculated for each row or column in the table.