Is it detrimental to take a weak calc 3 teacher?

In summary, the student is an EE major and is planning to take Calc 3 with an "easy" professor despite concerns about needing a good grasp on the material for future classes. They have heard mixed reviews about the professor and are considering self-studying using online resources. Other students have also had a similar experience with a weak Calc 3 professor but have still been successful in future classes. The student has decided to take the class but will also study extra on their own. They also mention that Calc 3 is generally considered to be more intuitive and easier to self-study compared to other math courses.
USN2ENG
Hi all,

Im an EE major and am getting ready to pick spring classes tomorrow. My only option for Calc 3 which will fit into my schedule seems to be the easiest professor possible (aka they give over 30% A's, which I found from the rating website, I have also heard from other students that it is definitely an easy A). I really want to have a good grasp on the material as I am sure I will probably need it in future EE classes. Would it be fine to self study with something like http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/CalcIII.aspx?

Thanks,
Chuck

Physics news on Phys.org
Not only did I have a weak Calc3 teacher but the whole class was a joke. We spent most of the time going over vectors (which we've all seen a million times in other classes) and studying 3D conics. We got into actual calculus pretty late in the game (my last homework was dealing with triple integrals) and never touched any vector calculus.

The only real part I've used any of that material is Electromagnetic fields, which uses vector calculus intensively. I learned way more calc3 stuff there then in calc3 and I was fine. Though as a note we went over a lot of vector calculus as part of the class since most people had no real class in it.

What I'm trying to say is that you'll prolly be fine. If its between not taking it and taking it with a weak prof then that would be an easy choice. You can self-teach as deep as you want on the side.

I had an easy-A calc II prof, and a hard calc III prof. I thank my lucky stars I had my calc III professor when I laugh at other students in my statics class struggling with 3d vector algebra, and I curse the calc II professor every time I try to solve a differential equation by series methods. Hardness = good.

Thanks! It looks like I will be taking it, there is just no other way with my schedule. I will definitely be studying extra on the side though!

Out of any first/second year math: I think Calc III is the one that is the most intuitive and the easier of the bunch to self-study. If you said you are going to have an 'easy' Calc II or DE instructor - I'd almost suggest to wait.

But also - 'easy As' could mean that this instructor is extremely good too ;) perhaps their grading system doesn't line up with the mental challenge it presents.

Related to Is it detrimental to take a weak calc 3 teacher?

1. Is it worth taking a weak calc 3 teacher?

It ultimately depends on your individual learning style and goals. If you are able to supplement your learning with outside resources and feel confident in your ability to self-study, then it may be worth taking the class. However, if you struggle with self-directed learning or need a strong foundation in the subject, it may be more beneficial to wait for a better teacher.

2. Will a weak calc 3 teacher negatively impact my understanding of the subject?

It is possible that a weak teacher may not effectively convey the material or may have gaps in their own understanding, which can hinder your understanding of the subject. It is important to actively seek out additional resources and ask for clarification when needed to ensure you have a strong grasp on the concepts.

3. Can I still do well in the class with a weak calc 3 teacher?

While it may be more challenging, it is still possible to do well in a class with a weak teacher. It will require dedication, self-motivation, and potentially seeking out additional resources or tutoring. However, it is important to prioritize your own learning and understanding rather than just aiming for a good grade.

4. Should I drop the class if I have a weak calc 3 teacher?

This decision ultimately depends on your individual situation. If you feel that you are unable to learn effectively in the class and are not making progress, it may be worth considering dropping the class and taking it with a different teacher. However, if you are able to supplement your learning and are making progress, it may be beneficial to stick with the class.

5. How can I make the most of a weak calc 3 teacher?

Some strategies for making the most of a weak teacher include actively seeking out additional resources, forming study groups with classmates, asking for clarification when needed, and self-studying. It may also be helpful to communicate with the teacher and express any concerns or areas where you need additional support.