Self studying physics and math: How to proceed?

In summary, a 16 year old self-taught physicist is struggling with mastering more advanced concepts in calculus and classical mechanics. He worries about whether or not his lack of foundational knowledge will hinder his future learning.
Iridium77
Hello, so I am a 16 year old passionate about physics and mathematics, I’ve pretty much self taught myself everything.
Before you start saying that I’ve got to focus on what I have, I am nailing everything science related, straight As, but I find them quite easy and I REALLY want to move on.
I am not from the USA, so I can’t really describe exactly where I’m at right now, but I can safely say I am starting Precalc at my school, and some analytical geometry, and for physics, we have been introduced to forces and how to setup coordinate systems ect, well the problem is, I’ve nailed my calculus and my classical mechanics 2 years ago, I am at a rather advanced level of Calc, and I’m going through Taylor’s classical mechanics atm.
What I’m getting at is, self learning is really hard, sometimes I run into a small detail that I’ve missed, and it really bothers me sometimes, here’s an example, I am going through Griffith’s Electrodynamics, but I found myself missing some small details in linear algebra even though I also went through it thoroughly.
Will this affect me? Sometimes I start doubting myself and think of just quitting, maybe what I’m doing is wrong or something.
I’m kind of lost, and if you have some good linear algebra books, I’d highly appreciate it if you give me some good titles.
Thanks for wasting your time reading about this irrelevant post.
(Ugh after I read it, I came out as a pretentious Little prick, that’s not what I’m getting it, sorry)

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is not a race.

You're trying to rush through it 5 or 10 times faster than it's usually taught, and are discovering that when you do this you're missing things. Why is this surprising?

Can you better explain what you mean by "small details"?

I self study a lot and I assure you that it is normal to miss stuff. It happens to me all the time. But usually what I miss are some deeper insight or connections to other fields that you really understand after you have studied the topic from a variety of sources and pondered about it. If you miss Linear Algebra related stuff while Reading Griffiths it's a problem. It means that you are not ready for that book.

dRic2 said:

I self study a lot and I assure you that it is normal to miss stuff. It happens to me all the time. But usually what I miss are some deeper insight or connections to other fields that you really understand after you have studied the topic from a variety of sources and pondered about it. If you miss Linear Algebra related stuff while Reading Griffiths it's a problem. It means that you are not ready for that book.
I think that is true, I may slow down a bit and practice linear algebra more, e&m is a bit too advanced for me.
But thanks for the insight really, I’ll make sure I master a topic before moving on to the next one, cause I’ll be honest I kind of rushed into Griffith’s because I really wanted to learn electrodynamics.

Vanadium 50 said:
Physics is not a race.

You're trying to rush through it 5 or 10 times faster than it's usually taught, and are discovering that when you do this you're missing things. Why is this surprising?
Yeah I think I need to slow down a bit haha, I mean physics IS addicting, and I REALLY wanted to get into e&m because it’s such an exciting subject.
I will make sure to slow down and actually make a plan next time, thanks!

dRic2 said:

Oh and here’s an example about small details, terminology is the most common, of course knowing a concept is good, but terminology is also important, and sometimes I find myself knowing the symbol but not knowing the name of what it’s actually representing.
I guess nothing surprising here, terminology is stuck in the memory with time, and since I’m rushing, a bit, I won’t really pick it up.

1. How do I know if I am ready to start self-studying physics and math?

Before starting to self-study physics and math, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts, such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of scientific principles and how they apply to real-world situations. If you feel comfortable with these concepts, you are likely ready to start self-studying physics and math.

2. What resources should I use for self-studying physics and math?

There are many resources available for self-studying physics and math, including textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. It is important to choose resources that are reputable and align with your learning style. It may also be helpful to consult with a teacher or tutor to get recommendations for specific resources.

3. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying physics and math?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self-studying physics and math will depend on your individual learning pace and goals. It is important to set aside dedicated study time each day or week and to stick to a consistent schedule. It may also be helpful to break up your study sessions into smaller chunks of time to avoid burnout.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-studying physics and math?

Self-studying can be challenging and it is important to stay motivated throughout the process. One way to stay motivated is to set specific goals for yourself, such as completing a certain number of practice problems or mastering a particular concept. It can also be helpful to join online communities or study groups to connect with others who are also self-studying physics and math.

5. How can I track my progress while self-studying physics and math?

Tracking your progress is important to ensure that you are making progress towards your goals and to identify areas where you may need to spend more time studying. You can track your progress by keeping a study journal, taking practice tests, or using online tools that provide progress reports. It is also helpful to regularly review and assess your understanding of key concepts.