Is it possible to solve for kinetic friction without given theta?

In summary, two blocks of masses m1 and m2 are connected by a light string passing over a frictionless pulley. The block of mass m1 is lying on a ramp tilted at an angle θ with the horizontal. If the block slides up the ramp with a constant velocity, the coefficient of kinetic friction μk is needed to be determined. Using the equations ƩF1xx = m1a and ƩF1y = m1a1y, the tension force Ft can be found from the other mass. However, there are three unknowns (μk, Fn, and θ) and only two equations, making it impossible to solve for μk without knowing the angle θ. The
joe426

Homework Statement

A block of mass " lying on a ramp tilted at an
angle  with the horizontal is connected to
another block of mass # by a light string passing
over a frictionless pulley as shown. If the block
slides up the ramp with a constant velocity ),
what is the coefficient of kinetic friction $%?

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

ƩF1xx = m1a
Ft - μkFn = m1a

ƩF1y = m1a1y
Fn - mgcosθ = m1a1y

I can figure out the Ft from the other mass. But where I am stuck is I have 3 unknowns and 2 equations. I can't find a way to solve for μk when I don't have θ.

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot see the second mass in the equations.

I cannot see the second mass in the equations.

ƩF2y = m2a
FT - m2g = m2a

I solve this for Ft and plug that into the tension force on mass1

So what are the three unknowns you have?

voko said:
So what are the three unknowns you have?

μk,Fn, and θ

It is not clear from the initial statement of the problem what is given and what is not. The initial statement sounds to me as if the angle were on an equal footing with masses which I assume you consider given. Could you copy the problem exactly?

What I have in the original post is the whole question but I have attached a picture of the problem for clarity.

Attachments

• physicsproblem.png
    physicsproblem.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 422
I think you can consider the angle as a given.

The assignment says that the block moves with a constant velocity - Newton's 1st law says that the end result Force affecting the mass is 0 if the body is still or is moving with a constant velocity and without changing direction - acceleration is 0.

This is the part that I am doubting at the moment -is it correct to assume the mass m2 is pulling the mass m1 by its weight? If so, the weight is m2g - and as the block on the ramp isn t accelerating, the mass on the other side also isn't accelerating.

So the resulting force to the block on the ramp is m2g.
The frictional force or force of friction or ..:/ is Fh = μm1gcosθ

The ramp directed gravitational pull is F = m1g sinθ

The resulting force is m2g + (-m1g sinθ - μm1gcosθ) <- these are vectors - i don't know how to denote vectors :(
the weight of m2 has to come level with both the friction and the gravitational pull.
So after a bit of simplification:
(m2g)² + (-m1g(sinθ + μcosθ))² = 0

E: I meant you must know the value of all 3 variables - even the assignment given agrees with me.

Last edited:

Related to Is it possible to solve for kinetic friction without given theta?

1. Can kinetic friction be solved for without knowing the angle(theta)?

Yes, it is possible to solve for kinetic friction without knowing the angle(theta) by using the formula Ff = μk * Fn, where Ff is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and Fn is the normal force.

2. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion. It is denoted by the symbol μk and is dependent on the nature of the surfaces in contact.

3. How is the normal force related to kinetic friction?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. In the context of solving for kinetic friction, the normal force is used in the formula Ff = μk * Fn to calculate the force of kinetic friction.

4. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction be negative?

No, the coefficient of kinetic friction cannot be negative. It is always a positive value because friction always acts in the opposite direction of motion.

5. Are there any other factors that affect kinetic friction?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect kinetic friction, such as the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, the temperature, and the velocity of the object in motion. However, for basic calculations, the coefficient of kinetic friction is the most important factor to consider.