Is it possible to use a PIR motion sensor with a mini-USB cable?

In summary, the PIR sensor works, but the OUT pin cannot be used because the USB protocol is not compatible. A "middle man" device will need to be used to convert the single bit output into something meaningful.
SigmaCrisis
Hi all,

I am trying to connect a Parallax PIR motion sensor to a mini-usb cable.

The PIR sensor has three pins: GND (negative), VCC (positive) and OUT.
The USB cable has four connections: GND, VCC and the DATA (+ and -).

I am able to power up the sensor and see a voltage spike when motion is detected. However, I am unable to do anything with the OUT pin. I tried to connect the DATA (-) and then the DATA (+), but my system does not see anything using SnoopyPro. When I figure this out, I would like the voltage from the OUT pin to trigger a system response; perhaps a custom program to monitor this.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is similar to plugging an analog microphone into your ethernet port and thinking you will be able to record sound that way.

USB is more than just a digital signal. It has a rather complicated protocol that must be used. Your operating system's driver is trying to talk on USB to a single bit output, they are just not compatible. Also, you cannot drive just DATA+ or DATA-, they must be differentially signaled together.

You basically will need a "middle man" device that can convert the single bit output into something meaningful on USB that your computer can understand. They make microcontrollers with USB peripherals that have USB drivers to use those peripherals, and you could program the microcontroller to read the bit and send its status over USB. Other than that, you probably have to scrap the idea of using USB.

Thanks for your response. I have an Arduino board with a microprocessor that I was looking to avoid using, but I was told that I can just program the microprocessor and adapt it to a breadboard for testing. I have a bit of learning to do. Thanks again.

1. What is a PIR Motion Sensor pinout?

A PIR (Passive Infrared) Motion Sensor pinout is a set of designated pins or connection points on the sensor that allow it to be connected to an external circuit or device.

2. How does a PIR Motion Sensor work?

A PIR Motion Sensor works by detecting changes in infrared radiation emitted by warm objects in its field of view. When a warm object, such as a human or animal, moves in front of the sensor, it causes a change in the infrared radiation received by the sensor, triggering an output signal.

3. What are the different types of PIR Motion Sensor pinouts?

The most common types of PIR Motion Sensor pinouts are three-pin and four-pin. Three-pin sensors have two power pins and one output pin, while four-pin sensors have additional pins for adjusting sensitivity and delay time settings.

4. How do I connect a PIR Motion Sensor to a circuit?

To connect a PIR Motion Sensor to a circuit, you will need to identify the power, ground, and output pins on the sensor. These pins can be connected to the corresponding pins on your circuit using jumper wires or a breadboard. Make sure to refer to the sensor's datasheet for the correct pinout diagram.

5. What are some common applications of PIR Motion Sensors?

PIR Motion Sensors are commonly used in security systems, automatic lighting systems, and smart home devices. They can also be used in robotics, industrial automation, and other applications that require motion detection.