Is it worth taking ENV S classes as Chem E major?

In summary, it is not necessary for a Chem E major to take ENV S classes, but they can be beneficial in providing a broader understanding of environmental issues and their relation to chemical engineering. Taking these classes can also benefit a Chem E's career by enhancing knowledge of environmental regulations and sustainability practices. While it may add to the workload, careful planning can help manage it. Specific ENV S classes, such as Environmental Chemistry and Sustainable Engineering, may be particularly beneficial for Chem E majors. Overall, taking ENV S classes can enhance understanding of chemical engineering by providing a different perspective and covering topics that have an impact on the industry.
Brandon L
Hi all,

I'm a 5th year Chem E major in which I'm interested in going into the Environmental E industry after college. I figured that Chem E would be pretty closely related, and I'm wondering if it'll be useful to take some basic ENV S classes before I graduate despite it not really be engineering classes.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Brandon L said:
some basic ENV S classes
"Basic" level is going to set you up for "head-butting" with TAs; get permission from faculty for as far upper level as you can.

1. Is it necessary for a Chem E major to take ENV S classes?

It is not necessary for a Chem E major to take ENV S classes, but it can be beneficial. These classes may provide a broader understanding of environmental issues and how they relate to chemical engineering.

2. Will taking ENV S classes benefit my career as a Chem E?

Taking ENV S classes can benefit your career as a Chem E in several ways. It can enhance your knowledge of environmental regulations and sustainability practices, making you a more well-rounded and marketable candidate for jobs in the chemical engineering industry.

3. How will taking ENV S classes impact my workload as a Chem E major?

Taking ENV S classes may add to your workload as a Chem E major, but it ultimately depends on your course load and schedule. It is important to plan your schedule carefully to ensure that you can handle the workload and prioritize your classes accordingly.

4. Are there any specific ENV S classes that would be more beneficial for a Chem E major?

There are several ENV S classes that may be particularly beneficial for a Chem E major, such as Environmental Chemistry, Sustainable Engineering, and Pollution Prevention. These classes focus on topics directly related to chemical engineering and can provide valuable knowledge and skills for your career.

5. How can taking ENV S classes enhance my understanding of chemical engineering?

Taking ENV S classes can enhance your understanding of chemical engineering by providing a different perspective on the field. These classes may cover topics such as environmental risk assessment, waste management, and renewable energy, which can all have an impact on chemical engineering processes and industries.