Is Mathematica more incomplete than the other math solver software packages?

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's experience with using Mathematica and Maple for solving integrals. They shared that Mathematica is able to solve more integrals than Maple and is also better at computing difficult integrals numerically. They also mentioned that there is an independent benchmark of 72,000 integrals which shows that Mathematica has a lower failure rate compared to Maple, Maxima, and Sympy. The speaker also shared their personal preference for Maple's notation and their familiarity with its simplification tricks. However, they acknowledged that the general consensus is that Mathematica is more complete in its capabilities.
kent davidge
I only have access to mathematica currently. Regarding specifically its power to solve integrals, is it more unable to solve integrals than others like Maple? If the answer is yes, then I will move to purchase Maple.

Physics news on Phys.org
My experience is the opposite. Usually if Mathematica cannot solve it then no closed form solution exists

Likes kent davidge
I'm asking this because it doesn't solve a lot of integrals. Of course if the integrals themselves cannot be solved analytically, then its not mathematicas fault. However, it seems that at least some of them can be solved.

The good thing is that I didn't have to buy it. I use it at the university.

Dale said:
My experience is the opposite. Usually if Mathematica cannot solve it then no closed form solution exists
Not only that, my experience is also that Mathematica is much better at computing "difficult" integrals numerically, such as integrals with infinity as the boundary or with a diverging integrand.

Likes Dale
I have tried dedicated CAS systems Mathematica and Maple and add-on symbolic libraries for Matlab and Python and also SageMath which is somehow halfway between the two extremes. Both Maple and Mathematica are far better for CAS tasks than the other options, but my experience was that Mathematica had a substantial edge over Maple. However, that was also years ago, so I am not sure if the gap has closed or widened.

Last edited:
I am more familiar with Maple, but have used Mathematica a bit. I am more used to Maple because I learned it first, and did my undergrad honors thesis in general relativity with it. The main things I use Maple for are simplifying gross expressions, finding the minima of gross functions, and solving integrals and ODEs. I used Mathematica last year for a knot theory project, because there's a very nice extension that let's you symbolically work with various knot properties. Overall, I would say that Mathematica is better in its ability to solve integrals and ODEs, while I do prefer the notation of Maple and I know the tricks of simplification a bit better. The general consensus, beyond my own personal experience, is that Mathematica is more complete.

Likes kent davidge and Dale

1. Is Mathematica capable of solving all types of mathematical problems?

No, Mathematica is not capable of solving all types of mathematical problems. It is designed to handle a wide range of mathematical calculations and operations, but there may be some complex or specialized problems that it cannot solve.

2. How does Mathematica compare to other math solver software packages?

Mathematica is considered to be one of the most comprehensive and powerful math solver software packages available. It offers a wide range of features and capabilities, making it a popular choice among scientists, engineers, and mathematicians.

3. Can Mathematica handle symbolic and numerical calculations?

Yes, Mathematica is capable of handling both symbolic and numerical calculations. It has a powerful symbolic engine that allows for manipulation of mathematical expressions and equations, as well as advanced numerical algorithms for precise calculations.

4. Is Mathematica more expensive than other math solver software packages?

Compared to some other math solver software packages, Mathematica may have a higher cost. However, it also offers a wide range of features and capabilities that may make it worth the investment for certain users.

5. Can Mathematica be used for data analysis and visualization?

Yes, Mathematica has built-in features for data analysis and visualization. It can handle large datasets and has a variety of tools for creating graphs, charts, and other visual representations of data.