Is My Free Body Diagram for a Frame Accurate?

In summary, it seems that you don't understand the basics of simple joints yet, so a problem this complex is beyond you. I recommend studying the basic more.
YehiaMedhat
Homework Statement
Can you check my free body diagrams for the whole frames
Relevant Equations
$\sum F_y=0,\sum F_x=0$
Screenshot_20221224-203634_Xodo Docs.jpg
can you check if I sketched it correctly?
And please if you know any good resources refrence it.
Screenshot_20221224-171241_Xodo Docs.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @YehiaMedhat !

It seems to me that P is missing, as well as location of D.
Note that for the armature not to collapse, the L-shaped element BC must be rigid and resisting an internal moment.

Last edited:
Likes YehiaMedhat
More explanation please.
And where could i find info i need for this?

YehiaMedhat said:
More explanation please.
The joint where B and C meet is the only rigid joint in the structure. Can you not see how the whole thing would just fold downwards against the wall if BC is not rigid?

Likes Lnewqban
It seems that i don't even understand what rigid body means

YehiaMedhat said:
It seems that i don't even understand what rigid body means
It means a body for which none of the parts can move relative to each other. Only the whole body can move.

Likes YehiaMedhat
Well I understand that but why there's an internal moment and where i should put on the sketch.
I'm sorry but all the mechanics is confusing so I try hard to gather informed together

YehiaMedhat said:
Well I understand that but why there's an internal moment and where i should put on the sketch.
I'm sorry but all the mechanics is confusing so I try hard to gather informed together
It seems to me that your problem here is that you don't understand the fundamentals of simple joints yet, so a problem this complex is beyond you. I recommend studying the basic more.

Can you refrence a specific object.
Cause I actually did revise from the text book and online tutorials about fbd and frames in general

YehiaMedhat said:
Clarification:
You don't need to put any internal force on the sketch, as a FBD only shows external forces on each member.
That includes force P, which you have not shown.

Please, see:
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-osuniversityphysics/chapter/5-7-drawing-free-body-diagrams/

and

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/s.../chapter/12-2-examples-of-static-equilibrium/

Sorry about the induced confusion.
I just tried to imply that the L=shaped member BC could be replaced with a straight string, rope or chain, without affecting the static balance of the armature.

eng130C4_t1-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Likes YehiaMedhat
That's great. Thanks for help Mr. Lnewqban and Mr. Phindin

Likes Lnewqban
YehiaMedhat said:
That's great. Thanks for help Mr. Lnewqban and Mr. Phindin
You are welcome. :smile:

In these problems, the first step is to treat the armature as a solid regarding forces and reactions acting on it.
For that, you use the three equations of balance of x-forces, y-forces and moments that you know.

In that way, you can find the values of the reactions (at points A and B in this case).
You can then use those calculated values to solve the rest of the questions in the problem (forces at connections of links).

If interested, please see this presentation:
https://www.iitg.ac.in/rkbc/me101/Presentation/L-06-08.pdf

🎄:cool: 🎄

Last edited:
That's great.
👍

Likes Lnewqban

What is a free body diagram for a frame?

A free body diagram for a frame is a visual representation of all the external forces acting on a frame structure. It helps to analyze the forces and determine the stability and strength of the frame.

Why is it important to create a free body diagram for a frame?

Creating a free body diagram for a frame is important because it allows us to understand the forces acting on the frame and how they are distributed. This information is crucial in designing a safe and structurally sound frame.

What are the steps to create a free body diagram for a frame?

The steps to create a free body diagram for a frame are as follows:

• Identify all the external forces acting on the frame, such as weight, applied loads, and reactions from supports.
  • Draw a rough sketch of the frame, including all the components and supports.
  • Choose a point on the frame to represent as the origin.
  • Draw arrows representing the magnitude and direction of each force, starting from the origin point.
  • Label each force and its corresponding magnitude and direction.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when creating a free body diagram for a frame?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a free body diagram for a frame are:

• Forgetting to include all external forces, including reactions from supports.
  • Incorrectly labeling the forces or their directions.
  • Not choosing a suitable origin point for the diagram.
  • Not considering the effects of distributed forces, such as weight or wind loads.

How can a free body diagram for a frame be used in structural analysis?

A free body diagram for a frame can be used in structural analysis to determine the internal forces and stresses within the frame. By analyzing the forces and their distribution, we can assess the strength and stability of the frame and make any necessary design changes to ensure its safety and functionality.