Is my schedule "lightweight"? Hurt me for Grad School?

In summary, the individual is considering taking either PDEs, Vector Analysis, or a Mathematica class in addition to their 10 credit course load of Senior Thermal Physics, Nuclear Physics, and Lab class. They are concerned about the difficulty of Thermal Physics and wanting to excel in all their upper level courses. They are also working 20 hours a week and are worried about the impact on their grad school application. However, it is not clear if taking less courses would look poorly on their transcript or if graduate schools would take into consideration their need to work to pay for school. More information is needed to provide a definitive answer on what to do.
Lagraaaange
< Mentor Note -- two similar threads by the OP merged into one >

Senior. Thermal Physics, Nuclear Physics, Lab class = 10 credits. Debating to take either: PDEs, Vector Analysis, Mathematica class, but I hear Thermal is hard and I want to ace all my upper level courses. I'm also working 20 hrs a week. Would this hurt my grad school application?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lagraaaange said:
. Would this hurt my grad school application?

A. Yes. So will doing poorly in Thermal.
B. Life is about tradeoffs.

Is it common to take 4 or 5 upper levels?

3 physics classes per semester in last 2 years. Due to work

It depends on a few things.

I came through a program where a standard course load was five classes per semester or 15 credit hours. Most commonly four of those classes would be related to one's major and one would be an elective that was often used to explore topics outside of the major.

Taking less than a standard course load because you need to work to pay for school is completely understandable. But graduate applications are competative. You don't want anyone assessing your application thinking "here's a candidate who only does the bare minimum."

3 classes is nearly full-time, and you're also working. It's not like you're slacking off.

Lagraaaange said:
3 physics classes per semester in last 2 years. Due to work

Sure it may look bad, or it may not. There isn't enough information here to conclusively determine one way or another.

There is a lot more variance in just what you want to study in grad school. Are you planning on doing something esoteric like string theory or are you looking at experimental condensed matter, applied physics, or accelerator physics?

How's your GPA and undergrad research experience? Is your current job related to engineering/physics in any way? What's your GRE scores? Did you complete the pre-graduate school physics track? Have you taken graduate level classes?

Really need more information to help you.

So I work to pay for school and I don't have the weekends or much time to study. My commute to school is up to 90m each way. Would only taking 3 courses: Thermal Physics, Quantum, Lab look poorly on my transcript? Would a grad school care that I had to work to pay for school and thus take less classes? I don't think I can ace these upper levels with any less time to devote to each one: Probably will have to skip Math Methods in Physics (it's optional). Let me know what to do

Lagraaaange said:
Would a grad school care that I had to work to pay for school and thus take less classes?

So long as you do well in your courses, I seriously doubt that it will matter how many courses you take per semester or how long as it takes to finish, so long as you explain your situation in your cover letter or personal statement (wherever it fits).

1. Is it better to have a lighter or heavier schedule for grad school?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as it ultimately depends on your individual learning style and capabilities. Some students may thrive with a heavier workload, while others may benefit from a lighter schedule that allows for more time to focus on each course. It is important to find a balance that works for you.

2. Will a lighter schedule affect my chances of getting into grad school?

Admissions committees typically look at the rigor of your coursework and your overall academic performance, rather than the specific number of courses you take. As long as you are challenging yourself and excelling in your courses, a lighter schedule should not negatively impact your chances of being accepted into grad school.

3. How can I tell if my schedule is too light for grad school?

If you find that you have a significant amount of free time and are not being challenged by your coursework, it may be a sign that your schedule is too light. You should also consider whether you are meeting the requirements for your program and if you are able to maintain a good GPA.

4. Is it okay to have a lighter schedule if I am also working or have other commitments?

Grad school can be demanding, and it is important to consider your other commitments when creating your schedule. If you are working or have other responsibilities, it may be beneficial to have a lighter schedule to allow for a better work-life balance. However, make sure to communicate with your professors and plan your schedule carefully to ensure you can still meet the requirements of your program.

5. What are the potential benefits of having a lighter schedule for grad school?

Having a lighter schedule can allow you more time to focus on each course, participate in extracurricular activities, or take on additional research or internship opportunities. It can also help reduce stress and prevent burnout. However, it is important to still challenge yourself and maintain a good academic standing.