Is the Dirac free equation actually free

• I
  • Thread starter ftr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dirac Qm
In summary: What does the first Newton law say?The first law of motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a force.
ftr
I mean the equation shows the particle could have any momentum, how did that came about. If it is truly free it should have only an energy of mc^2, shouldn't it.

Physics news on Phys.org
ftr said:
I mean the equation shows the particle could have any momentum, how did that came about. If it is truly free it should have only an energy of mc^2, shouldn't it.
No; this is only the rest energy. You also need to count the (relativistic) kinetic energy! A free nonrelativistic particle can also move with any momentum and then has an energy of ##p^2/2m##.

Likes QuantumQuest
"Free" means not subject to any forces, so the momentum is not changing. It does not follow that the momentum and hence the kinetic energywill be zero.

A. Neumaier said:
No; this is only the rest energy. You also need to count the (relativistic) kinetic energy! A free nonrelativistic particle can also move with any momentum and then has an energy of ##p^2/2m##.

In both cases the momentum or speed should be against/relative to something else, but that cannot happen for "single" particle, correct or not.

ftr said:
In both cases the momentum or speed should be against/relative to something else, but that cannot happen for "single" particle, correct or not.
It is against a fixed Lorentz frame in space-time. The frame is not a material entity but a way to describe space-time independent of its contents. It is needed even to describe the vacuum state - without it there is no meaning to the standard requirement that the vacuum state should be Lorentz invariant.

Nugatory said:
"Free" means not subject to any forces, so the momentum is not changing. It does not follow that the momentum and hence the kinetic energywill be zero.
At fundamental quantum level particles are subject to the "four" known forces, and these are relentless. Any particle subjected to them they will be under the influence no matter how small, but if they become so small then you are back to only mc^2. It seems that Newton's first law is ambiguous for quantum particles.

ftr said:
At fundamental quantum level particles are subject to the "four" known forces
A single electron alone in the universe will be free. Note that free particles are (like almost everything in physics) an abstraction form the all-too-complex reality. One simplifies and abstracts in order to be able to understand and classify.

A. Neumaier said:
A single electron alone in the universe will be free. Note that free particles are (like almost everything in physics) an abstraction form the all-too-complex reality. One simplifies and abstracts in order to be able to understand and classify.

Of course I understand that, I have a Master's in EE. But from following up on materials that spawned from recent threads by demystifier and Morgan it seems to me that simplification has led to confusion including the Klein paradox , a no solution relativistic particle in a box(or simple potentials) and ... so on with all of that carried to QFT as discussed in the mentioned threads. It just seems to me the interpretation or the "simplification" of original Dirac equation is the culprit.

To add: it seems to me to have that momentum realistically another identical particle has to exist and in that case the interaction might change the form of the dispersion relation. But I guess that will put us in QFT renormalization ..

ftr said:
Any particle subjected to them they will be under the influence no matter how small, but if they become so small then you are back to only mc^2.
That is simply not true, because both the momentum ##p## and the kinetic energy ##p^2/2m## are frame-dependent - you can make them take on any value you please simply by choosing coordinates that make them come out the way you want no matter what forces are present or not.
It seems that Newton's first law is ambiguous for quantum particles.
It would be better to say that it doesn't apply - it's a classical description that assumes that both position and momentum can be known simultaneously.

ftr said:
What does the first Newton law say?

Nugatory said:
momentum ppp and the kinetic energy p2/2mp2/2mp^2/2m are frame-dependent

That was my concern in the OP. That is why I said under realistic condition of interacting with another particle/s can give more realistic results.

Demystifier said:
What does the first Newton law say?

In an inertial frame of reference, an object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a force.

In QM settings it is usually particles interacting via potential or some scattering that are interesting and revealing/useful. Add to that particle trajectory issues and the UP.

Related to Is the Dirac free equation actually free

1. What is the Dirac free equation?

The Dirac free equation is a mathematical equation developed by physicist Paul Dirac that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, in a relativistic quantum mechanical framework.

2. Is the Dirac free equation truly "free"?

The term "free" in the Dirac free equation refers to the particles being described as free from any external forces or interactions. However, it still takes into account the particle's mass and spin, making it a more accurate and comprehensive equation compared to the non-relativistic Schrödinger equation.

3. How does the Dirac free equation differ from other quantum equations?

The Dirac free equation takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, while other quantum equations, like the Schrödinger equation, do not. It also describes spin-1/2 particles, while other equations may not account for spin.

4. What are the applications of the Dirac free equation?

The Dirac free equation has been used in various fields of physics, including particle physics, quantum electrodynamics, and condensed matter physics. It has also been used in the development of the Standard Model of particle physics and in understanding the behavior of electrons in materials.

5. Is the Dirac free equation still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, the Dirac free equation is still widely used in modern physics and has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of spin-1/2 particles. It continues to be an essential tool in understanding the fundamental nature of matter and the universe.