Is the function odd, even or neither?

In summary, the function f(x) is neither symmetrical about the x-axis nor the origin, making it neither odd nor even. It can be represented by a square wave and its Fourier series can be found using the usual formulas for coefficients of sin(nx) and cos(nx). Alternatively, it can be rewritten as 1/2 + g(x), where g(x) is an odd function, simplifying the calculations. It is recommended to refer to the definition when encountering similar questions in the future.
cabellos
The function f(x) 1, -pi < x < 0

0, 0 < x < pi

now after sketching the function i believe i am correct in saying it is neither symmetrical about the x-axis or the origin and therefore is neither odd nor even?

It is a square wave?

Am i correct? Also how should i now go about finding its Fourier series?

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you mean f(x)= , then, yes, it is neither even nor odd.

You could find its Fourier series by using the usual formulas:
[tex]A_n= \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^0 sin(nx) dx[/itex]
and
[tex]B_n= \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^0 cos(nx)dx[/itex]
where An and Bn are the coefficients of sin(nx) and cos(nx) respectively for n> 0.
[tex]B_0= \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^0 dx= \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
is the constant term.

Or you could write f(x)= 1/2 + g(x) where g(x)= 1/2 for [itex]-\pi \le x\le 0[/itex] and g(x)= -1/2 for [itex]0< x \le \pi[/itex]. g(x) is an odd function so the calculations are little simpler.

I'm going to be more abrupt than the lovely mentors here. What is the bloody definition? Sorry, cabellos, but I'm truly fed up with the number of questions which are answerable with 'look at the definition'.

"Lovely", moi? Oh, how sweet of you!

Actually, I think the first sentence of just about every response should be "look up the definition"!

Related to Is the function odd, even or neither?

1. What is an odd function?

An odd function is a function where f(-x) = -f(x) for all values of x. This means that the function is symmetric about the origin (0,0) on the Cartesian plane. In other words, when you reflect the graph of an odd function over the y-axis, it will be identical to the original graph.

2. How do you determine if a function is odd?

To determine if a function is odd, you can use the property f(-x) = -f(x). This means that you can plug in -x for x in the function and if the output is equal to the negative of the original output, then the function is odd. Another way to determine if a function is odd is by looking at its graph. If the graph is symmetric about the origin, then the function is odd.

3. What is an even function?

An even function is a function where f(-x) = f(x) for all values of x. This means that the function is symmetric about the y-axis on the Cartesian plane. In other words, when you reflect the graph of an even function over the y-axis, it will be identical to the original graph.

4. How do you determine if a function is even?

To determine if a function is even, you can use the property f(-x) = f(x). This means that you can plug in -x for x in the function and if the output is equal to the original output, then the function is even. Another way to determine if a function is even is by looking at its graph. If the graph is symmetric about the y-axis, then the function is even.

5. What if a function is neither odd nor even?

If a function does not satisfy the properties of an odd or even function, then it is considered neither odd nor even. This means that the function is not symmetric about the origin or y-axis. In other words, when you reflect the graph of a neither odd nor even function over the origin or y-axis, it will not be identical to the original graph.