Is the Integrator Linear in t?

In summary: The last image I posted where it says testing for linearity, that is testing just an integrator for linearity. I am aware that an integrator is linear. I want to know if that proof demonstrates it is linear in t.
SuperCat

Homework Statement

Determine whether the system is linear
9363b1f54ce42941e35319bfe474e930.png

Homework Equations

Superposition

The Attempt at a Solution

I am comfortable solving the case where the bounds are from negative infinity to t. I have provided an example of that solution I found online. I attempt to solve that problem in a similar fashion and conclude the system is linear, but according to the solutions (no work just answers) I was provided with the system is not linear.
I would appreciate if someone could tell me where I went wrong (why the same procedure can't be applied) or whether I am correct.
6e3dd2fb7c3f230c6421ac8f5331b36b.png

Physics news on Phys.org
When you are asked whether a function x(t) is linear, the question is whether it is linear in t. In other words, is it true that x(a t1 + b t2) = a x(t1) + b x(t2)? You have shown that your function y(t) is linear in x, which it clearly is, but I doubt that is the question that was being asked. Perhaps the question should have been more explicit.

phyzguy said:
When you are asked whether a function x(t) is linear, the question is whether it is linear in t. In other words, is it true that x(a t1 + b t2) = a x(t1) + b x(t2)? You have shown that your function y(t) is linear in x, which it clearly is, but I doubt that is the question that was being asked. Perhaps the question should have been more explicit.
Thank you for your reply. I understand what you are saying. Most of the sample problems in my textbook demonstrate linearity by saying y(t) is linear in x.

Just to clarify, are you saying that the problem I posted is in-fact linear?

SuperCat said:
Just to clarify, are you saying that the problem I posted is in-fact linear?

No. To repeat, when you are asked whether a function x(t) is linear, the question is whether it is linear in t. In other words, is it true that x(a t1 + b t2) = a x(t1) + b x(t2)?

phyzguy said:
No. To repeat, when you are asked whether a function x(t) is linear, the question is whether it is linear in t. In other words, is it true that x(a t1 + b t2) = a x(t1) + b x(t2)?
Would that also suggest that the example problem I provided in 3 is non-linear?

SuperCat said:
Would that also suggest that the example problem I provided in 3 is non-linear?
Sorry, I don't understand your question. What exactly are you asking?

phyzguy said:
Sorry, I don't understand your question. What exactly are you asking?

The last image I posted where it says testing for linearity, that is testing just an integrator for linearity. I am aware that an integrator is linear. I want to know if that proof demonstrates it is linear in t.

1. What is a test integrator for Linearity?

A test integrator for Linearity is a device used in scientific experiments to measure the linearity of a system or process. It is typically used to determine the relationship between input and output variables and to assess the accuracy of a measurement.

2. How does a test integrator for Linearity work?

The test integrator works by comparing the input signal to the output signal of a system or process. It measures the difference between the two signals and calculates the linearity by comparing it to a known standard. The results are then displayed on a screen or recorded for further analysis.

3. What are the benefits of using a test integrator for Linearity?

Using a test integrator for Linearity can provide valuable information about the accuracy and performance of a system or process. It can help identify any non-linearities or errors in the measurement process, allowing for adjustments to be made to improve accuracy. It can also help validate the results of experiments and ensure reliable data.

4. How is a test integrator for Linearity calibrated?

A test integrator for Linearity is typically calibrated using a standard reference signal. This signal is known to be perfectly linear, and the test integrator compares the input and output signals to this reference to determine the accuracy of the measurement. Regular calibration is important to ensure the test integrator is providing accurate and reliable results.

5. Can a test integrator for Linearity be used in any scientific field?

Yes, a test integrator for Linearity can be used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and more. It is a versatile tool that can be used to measure the linearity of many different types of systems and processes to ensure accurate and reliable data.