Is there a distinction between angular resolution and angular discrimination?

In summary, angular resolution and angular discrimination are two measures of a system's ability to distinguish between closely spaced objects or points. Angular resolution refers to the smallest angle that can be resolved, while angular discrimination measures how well a system can differentiate between objects with similar angular positions. These two concepts are closely related, and a system with high angular resolution will also have high angular discrimination. Angular resolution is typically measured in units of arcseconds, and can be improved by using advanced technologies and techniques. However, there is a fundamental limit to both angular resolution and angular discrimination, known as the diffraction limit, which is determined by the size of the aperture or antenna used in the system. This means that no matter how advanced the technology is, the angular resolution
Physics Student 1234
TL;DR Summary
My understanding is that the terms are synonymous but I'm just wondering if there is a subtle difference between the two terms which I am unaware of.
My understanding is that the terms are synonymous but I'm just wondering if there is a subtle difference between the two terms which I am unaware of.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Although essentially synonamous, the usages are somewhat different. Discrimination refers to difference, while resolution is about size.

Likes Physics Student 1234

1. What is the difference between angular resolution and angular discrimination?

Angular resolution refers to the ability of a measurement system to distinguish between two closely spaced objects or features in an image or signal. Angular discrimination, on the other hand, refers to the ability to distinguish between two angular positions or directions. In other words, angular resolution focuses on spatial resolution, while angular discrimination focuses on directional resolution.

2. How are angular resolution and angular discrimination related?

Angular resolution and angular discrimination are closely related, as they both involve the ability to distinguish between small differences in angular measurements. However, they differ in their specific applications and the types of measurements they are used for.

3. Can a system have high angular resolution but low angular discrimination?

Yes, it is possible for a system to have high angular resolution but low angular discrimination. This means that the system is able to distinguish between closely spaced objects or features, but it may not be able to accurately determine the direction or position of those objects.

4. How is angular resolution and angular discrimination measured?

Angular resolution is typically measured in units of angle, such as degrees or radians, and is determined by the physical characteristics of the measurement system. Angular discrimination is also measured in units of angle, but it is often determined by the signal-to-noise ratio of the system and the ability to distinguish between different angular positions or directions.

5. Can angular resolution and angular discrimination be improved?

Yes, both angular resolution and angular discrimination can be improved through various methods such as increasing the signal-to-noise ratio, using more advanced measurement techniques, or using more precise instruments. However, there are limitations to how much they can be improved based on the physical properties of the system.