Is there a negative sign in front of the centrifugal potential energy?

In summary: The centrifugal potential energy is a potential energy that arises from the dynamics of a system, not from the dynamics of the frame of reference in which the system is moving.
phantomvommand
TL;DR Summary
I am not sure if there is a negative sign in front of the formula for the centrifugal potential energy.
In orbital mechanics, the effective potential is given by ##\frac {1} {2} m r^2 w^2##, which can be expressed in terms of angular momentum ##L## which is conserved.

Yet, https://web.njit.edu/~gary/321/Lecture17.html apparently shows the centrifugal potential as the negative of the above. Deriving the paraboloid shape of some spinning water's surface also involves ## - \frac {1} {2} m r^2 w^2##, instead of ##\frac {1} {2} m r^2 w^2##.

So which is it? What is the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does potential energy increase or decrease as ##r## increases?

PeroK said:
Does potential energy increase or decrease as ##r## increases?
I am not sure if centrifugal potential energy is really a potential energy. To me, it is a kinetic energy that just behaves like a potential energy (since v is only dependent on r). In that sense, I would expect 'potential energy' to increase as r increases, given that v increases. As for the gravitational potential energy, it increases with r too. So potential energy should increase?

Then how would this agree with the ## - \frac {1} {2} m r^2 w^2## formula, which shows it decreasing?

phantomvommand said:
I am not sure if centrifugal potential energy is really a potential energy. To me, it is a kinetic energy that just behaves like a potential energy (since v is only dependent on r). In that sense, I would expect 'potential energy' to increase as r increases, given that v increases. As for the gravitational potential energy, it increases with r too. So potential energy should increase?

Then how would this agree with the ## - \frac {1} {2} m r^2 w^2## formula, which shows it decreasing?
How could PE be KE? What normally happens ti PE as KE increases?

PeroK said:
How could PE be KE? What normally happens ti PE as KE increases?
In the orbital 'Effective potential energy' case, the tangential KE is treated as a potential energy? Hence PE can be KE?
from conservation of energy point of view, PE should decrease as KE increases.

phantomvommand said:
In the orbital 'Effective potential energy' case, the tangential KE is treated as a potential energy? Hence PE can be KE?
I've no idea what you mean by that.
phantomvommand said:
from conservation of energy point of view, PE should decrease as KE increases.
Precisely!

I do not understand the Lecture notes. The effective centrifugal potential assumes the angular momentum to be constant. Thus $$U_{eff}(r)=\frac {L^2}{2mr ^2}-\frac {GmM} r $$ and that takes care of the signs for the derivative...

hutchphd said:
I do not understand the Lecture notes. The effective centrifugal potential assumes the angular momentum to be constant. Thus $$U_{eff}(r)=\frac {L^2}{2mr ^2}-\frac {GmM} r $$ and that takes care of the signs for the derivative...
I think the lecture notes is referring to a circular orbit.

I guess I am asking about the derivation of the centrifugal potential energies. In the case of elliptical orbits, the effective potential energy (ignore gravitational potential energy) given by ##\frac {L^2} {2mr^2}## can be obtained from ##\int mrw^2 \, dr##, while in the case of water spinning/circular orbit, we use ##- \int mrw^2 \, dr##, essentially ##- \int F \, dr##.

@PeroK thanks for the replies. But in both forms ##- \int mrw^2 \, dr = - \frac {1} {2} mr^2w^2## and ##\frac {L^2} {2mr^2}##, the potential energy decreases with distance. I meant that ##\frac {L^2} {2mr^2}## is equal to ##\frac {1} {2} mv^2##, hence my 'KE is a PE' comment.

What is the difference between these 2 systems, that resulted in 2 different methods of potential energy derivation?

For reference to the lecture notes in question: https://web.njit.edu/~gary/321/Lecture17.html

Please do point out any conceptual errors I have.

Last edited:
hutchphd said:
The effective centrifugal potential assumes the angular momentum to be constant.
This isn't correct. In a rotating frame (with angular velocity ##\boldsymbol{\Omega}## relative to an inertial frame) one may introduce a centrifugal potential energy term regardless of the dynamics of the system, i.e. whether its angular momentum is constant or not.

For simplicity, consider a unit mass moving in a potential ##U(\mathbf{r})## but otherwise arbitrarily (that is, arbitrary initial conditions). Recall the equation of motion of a particle in a uniformly rotating frame of reference ##K## in which ##\boldsymbol{v} = \dfrac{d\mathbf{r}}{dt} \bigg{|}_K## is\begin{align*}
\dfrac{d\boldsymbol{v}}{dt} &= -\dfrac{\partial U}{\partial \mathbf{r}} + 2\boldsymbol{v} \times \boldsymbol{\Omega} + \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times (\mathbf{r} \times \boldsymbol{\Omega}) \\

\boldsymbol{v} \cdot \dfrac{d\boldsymbol{v}}{dt} &= - \boldsymbol{v} \cdot \dfrac{\partial U}{\partial \mathbf{r}} + 2 \underbrace{\boldsymbol{v} \cdot \boldsymbol{v} \times \boldsymbol{\Omega}}_{=0} + \boldsymbol{v} \cdot \boldsymbol{\Omega} \times (\mathbf{r} \times \boldsymbol{\Omega}) \\

\dfrac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{1}{2}v^2 \right) &= - \frac{d}{dt} \left( U - \frac{1}{2} (\boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r})^2 \right)
\end{align*}therefore ##E \equiv \frac{1}{2}v^2 + U - \dfrac{1}{2} (\boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r})^2## is a constant and the term ##- \dfrac{1}{2} (\boldsymbol{\Omega} \times \mathbf{r})^2## is identified as a rotational contribution.

Likes hutchphd and vanhees71
hutchphd said:
ergospherical said:
This isn't correct. In a rotating frame (with angular velocity ##\boldsymbol{\Omega}## relative to an inertial frame) one may introduce a centrifugal potential energy term regardless of the dynamics of the system, i.e. whether its angular momentum is constant or not.
You are talking about different potentials.

@hutchphd means this one with constant ##L## & ##E##:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_potential#Gravitational_potential

While @ergospherical assumes constant ##\boldsymbol{\Omega}##

Likes phantomvommand and hutchphd
Yes the link posted by @phantomvommand analyses the motion of a test mass ##m## in the background potential ##U(\mathbf{r})## using a co-rotating reference system rigidly attached to the binary star system (with [approximately] constant angular velocity ##\mathbf{w}##).

Likes phantomvommand and hutchphd

1. What is centrifugal potential energy?

Centrifugal potential energy is the potential energy associated with the rotation of an object around a central axis. It is a type of potential energy that arises due to the centrifugal force acting on the object.

2. Why is there a negative sign in front of the centrifugal potential energy?

The negative sign in front of the centrifugal potential energy is used to indicate that the force acting on the object is directed away from the center of rotation. This is because the centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on the object due to its circular motion.

3. Does the negative sign affect the magnitude of the centrifugal potential energy?

No, the negative sign does not affect the magnitude of the centrifugal potential energy. It is simply a convention used to indicate the direction of the force.

4. What happens if the negative sign is not included in the equation for centrifugal potential energy?

If the negative sign is not included in the equation, the direction of the force would be incorrectly represented. This could lead to incorrect calculations and predictions about the behavior of objects in rotational motion.

5. Is the negative sign always present in the equation for centrifugal potential energy?

Yes, the negative sign is always present in the equation for centrifugal potential energy. It is a fundamental aspect of the concept of centrifugal force and is necessary for accurate calculations and understanding of rotational motion.