Is there always a liquid surface between a solid and gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ice having a liquid surface when surrounded by gas. The question is raised whether this applies to all solids, such as a dining room table. It is then clarified that not all solids have a liquid surface, as sublimation can occur. The conversation also touches on the role of vapor pressure in determining the presence of liquid at the surface.
curiousoldguy
So I'm reading that ice (solid) always has a liquid surface if it's surrounded by a gas. Does this mean every solid (e.g., my dining room table) also has a liquid surface because it's surrounded by gas? It doesn't seem to have a liquid surface. :-/ If something sublimes it skips this phase so I assume it's not true that every solid has a liquid surface. If I cool water ice to say 1 K it's hard to imagine there's liquid at the surface unless the vapor pressure was crazy low, no? Thanks for any insight. :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
curiousoldguy said:
So I'm reading that ice (solid) always has a liquid surface if it's surrounded by a gas.

In short: it doesn't.

(and you will find much more elaborate explanation at the link Dr. Courtney posted).

Thanks. :)

1. What is the state of matter of a substance with a liquid surface between a solid and gas?

The state of matter would depend on the temperature and pressure of the substance. If the temperature and pressure are within the range where the substance can exist in both solid and gas states, then the substance would be in a liquid state with a surface between the solid and gas.

2. Is there any substance that does not have a liquid surface between a solid and gas?

Yes, there are certain substances that do not have a liquid state and can directly transition from solid to gas without passing through a liquid state. These substances are called subliming substances, and an example is dry ice (solid carbon dioxide).

3. Why is there always a liquid surface between a solid and gas?

This is because of the intermolecular forces between the particles of the substance. At certain temperatures and pressures, these forces are strong enough to hold the particles together in a liquid state, forming a surface between the solid and gas states.

4. Can the liquid surface between a solid and gas be broken?

Yes, the liquid surface between a solid and gas can be broken through changes in temperature or pressure. For example, if the temperature is increased or the pressure is decreased, the substance may transition from a liquid to a gas state, breaking the liquid surface.

5. What is the significance of the liquid surface between a solid and gas?

The liquid surface between a solid and gas is important in many natural and industrial processes. For example, it plays a crucial role in the water cycle, where water can exist in all three states of matter. It is also important in various chemical reactions and in the production of certain materials.