Is there an odesk / elance equivalent for tutoring math/phy?

In summary, a student in their third year of university is taking a year off to do self-study in physics and mathematics and is looking for an online tutor. They have tried sites like odesk and elance, but have not found any tutors for their specific subjects and level of understanding. They have also tried reaching out to grad students and post-docs, but with no success. They are now considering posting ads or fliers on university campuses or using vWorker, a site that offers assistance under the category of "homework help".
k4ff3
Tutor needed: Is there an odesk / elance equivalent for tutoring math/phy?

Hi all,

Im in my 3rd year at university studying physics and mathematics. However, I am now taking a year off from university to do self studying. My goal is to gain a deeper understanding of the subjects, as well as gaining some serious problem solving skills, and along the way I need a tutor.

In fact, I need an online tutor due to various reasons. Unfortunately sites like odesk and elance don't have an academics section, which would have been ideal for my situation. I was hoping that someone here has any suggestions, because apparently - google hasn't.

I had in mind a PhD/PostDoc/Assistant Professor-level tutor. It's not enough to just help me solving problems - I need to understand the concepts, proofs and theory. To give you some idea of of subjects I want to learn, here's some of the books I've bought:

"Mathematical Analysis, Second Edition"
- Tom M. Apostol
"Problem Solving Through Problems"
- Loren C. Larson;
"How to Sole It"
-George Pólya
"Elementary Number Theory: Second Edition"
- Underwood Dudley;
Complex Variables"
- Francis J. Flanigan;
"Challenge Your Brain Math & Logic Puzzles"
- Dave Tuller;
"An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" and "A Course of Pure Mathematics"
- G. H. Hardy
"Ideals, Varieties, and Algorithms: An Intro. to Computational Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra"
- David A. Cox;
"Mathematical Physics"
- Donald Howard Menzel;
"Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers"
- Richard W. Hamming;
"Introduction to Topology"
- Bert Mendelson;

I have not found any sites that provides tutors on these kind of topics, although they are pretty basic. PF is a great resource indeed, but I think that for my project I need a personal tutor. I hope I am not opposing the site rules here - I am just trying to get some advice on how to get guidance along my project :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could try talking to/emailing grad students or post-docs and asking them if they want to be your online tutor. Tell them how much you would be willing to pay them. Some grad students tutor to get an additional income. You might even want to contact different people for different subjects (a math grad student for help with number theory, for example, and a physics grad student for help with mathematical physics).

Thanks for you reply, sweetpotato. In fact, I have tried your method a couple of times, but with no success. I actually found them at odesk by chance after reading their profile. After their decline I kindly asked them if they know of anyone else that might be interested. But they didn't answer this.

Im also feeling kind of uncomfortable with spamming inboxes of random students. I do not want to be rude, either.

You could also try putting ads in local university newspapers, or posting fliers on university campuses.

Hi k4ff3, this is Nicole from vWorker.com (formerly known as Rentacoder.com). vWorker provides access to workers who offer assistance under the category, "homework help" in case you're interested.

Thank you Nicole! Btw what happened to RAC, why the namechange?

k4ff3 said:
Thank you Nicole! Btw what happened to RAC, why the namechange?

You're welcome, k4ff3. We're changing to reflect the diversity of the many talented workers we have on the site. Read all about it at http://blog.vworker.com/2010/04/about-our-name-change-from-rent-coder.html

1. Is there a platform specifically for tutoring math and physics like Odesk/Elance?

Yes, there are several platforms that cater specifically to tutoring math and physics such as Chegg, Tutor.com, and Wyzant.

2. How do these tutoring platforms work?

These platforms allow students to search for qualified tutors in their desired subject area. Tutors create profiles with their qualifications and availability, and students can schedule sessions with them through the platform. Sessions can take place online or in person.

3. Are there any differences between these platforms and Odesk/Elance?

While these platforms may have similar features to Odesk/Elance, their focus is on connecting students with tutors for educational purposes, rather than freelancers for various tasks.

4. Can I become a tutor on these platforms?

Yes, all of these platforms allow qualified tutors to create profiles and offer their services. However, each platform may have its own application and screening process to ensure the quality of their tutors.

5. How do tutors get paid on these platforms?

Most platforms have a payment system in place where students pay for sessions through the platform and the platform takes a percentage as a commission. Tutors can usually choose to receive their payments through direct deposit, PayPal, or other methods.