Is there Something to RFID blockers?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rfid
In summary, the conversation is about ways to protect credit card information from being hacked. The person has had their credit card hacked multiple times and is considering purchasing RFID blockers. They are unsure about the effectiveness of these blockers and ask if there is any scientific evidence behind them. The conversation also mentions alternative ways of protecting credit card information, such as using RFID-blocking envelopes or disabling the contactless payment feature on the card.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
After having had my credit card hacked for the 5th time in a few years, I am looking for ways of protecting my information. My best guess is that some have used some devices to read my card number from my wallet. I have seen some ads for RFID blockers, but I don't have the background to examine these claims. Is there any hard science behind these blockers ? Are there other ways of protecting my credit card information?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here in Europe, you can buy little cardboard RFID-blocking "envelopes" that your cards slide into. I was sceptical, at first so I bought a few and tested them out with a few of my bank cards. I was surprised to find them 100% effective. They're hardly any bigger then the cards themselves which means I leave them in my wallet and simply slide the cards in and out. No need for a new wallet!

Cards are mostly skimmed from use in ATM machines in suspect neighbourhoods, well that's my experience in my country anyway.
Are you sure your cards are RFID and not just chip and pin, there is a difference, or so I'm lead to beleive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_payment

Try contacting your bank, you may be able to disable the "contactless payment" feature on your card and remove the data from the rfid chip completely.

What is RFID and how does it work?

RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification. It is a technology used to track and identify objects using radio waves. An RFID system consists of a reader and a tag. The reader sends out a radio signal, which is received by the tag. The tag then sends back a unique identification number, allowing the reader to identify the object.

What is an RFID blocker and how does it work?

An RFID blocker is a device or material that prevents the transmission of radio waves between an RFID reader and tag. It essentially creates a shield around the tag, blocking the signal from being read. This can be achieved through materials such as metal or carbon fiber, or through using electronic jamming technology.

Do I need an RFID blocker?

This depends on your personal preferences and concerns. RFID technology is commonly used in credit cards, passports, and other forms of identification. Some people may choose to use an RFID blocker to protect their personal information from being scanned by unauthorized individuals.

Are RFID blockers 100% effective?

No, RFID blockers are not 100% effective. While they can block the majority of signals, they may not be able to block all frequencies. Additionally, some RFID systems have anti-jamming technology that can override the blocker. It is important to research and choose a high-quality blocker for maximum effectiveness.

Are there any potential downsides to using an RFID blocker?

One potential downside is that using an RFID blocker may make it more difficult to access your own RFID-enabled cards or devices. Additionally, some countries may have regulations regarding the use of RFID blockers, so it is important to check before traveling. Lastly, using an RFID blocker may not fully protect against identity theft or fraud, as there are other ways for personal information to be obtained.