Is this solenoid / permanent magnet configuration possible?

JayAshby
TL;DR Summary
Hi, I was wondering if it would work to have permanent magnets placed around the middle of a solenoid, which can act as a buffer between the north and south poles of the solenoid. I have drawn what I think the field will look like in blue. Would this have any impact on the strength of the solenoid's magnetic field? Thanks.
Screenshot 2024-01-02 134116.png

Physics news on Phys.org
How is this different from your previous thread start?

JayAshby said:
TL;DR Summary: Hi, I've been working on a solenoid design and was wondering if I have this configuration, how would the strength of the solenoid (specifically the south pole) be affected by the permanent magnet? Would it potentially gain strength, or would it result in a loss? Assume minimal distance between magnet and solenoid.

View attachment 337870

You certainly could place permanent magnets in that arrangement. But I don’t know what “act as a buffer between the north and south poles of the solenoid” would even mean.

If you have two sources, each with their own field, then the total field from both sources together is the sum of the fields from each source individually.

berkeman said:
How is this different from your previous thread start?
Dale said:
You certainly could place permanent magnets in that arrangement. But I don’t know what “act as a buffer between the north and south poles of the solenoid” would even mean.

If you have two sources, each with their own field, then the total field from both sources together is the sum of the fields from each source individually.
Hi Dale, thanks for the reply. By buffer I mean that the magnet field of the solenoid would be joined with the permanent magnets. Essentially, the magnetic field lines leaving the north end of the solenoid would then join the south end of the magnets instead of the south end of the solenoid. And the magnetic field lines leaving the north ends of the magnets would join with the south end of the solenoid. If this were the case, I'm unsure how it would affect the strength of the north and south poles of the solenoid.

To get the total field you would add the fields together. That would make the field lines more complicated. I guess some lines would go from the solenoid to the permanent magnets, but not all of them. The field would be at least quadrupole instead of dipole.

Interesting, thank you for your insight Dale.

1. Can a solenoid be used to create a magnetic field?

Yes, a solenoid is a coil of wire that when an electric current passes through it, generates a magnetic field. The magnetic field produced by a solenoid is similar to that of a bar magnet.

2. Can a permanent magnet be used to create a magnetic field?

Yes, a permanent magnet is a material that can generate a magnetic field without the need for an electric current. The magnetic field of a permanent magnet is constant and does not require any external power source.

3. Is it possible to combine a solenoid and a permanent magnet to create a magnetic configuration?

Yes, it is possible to combine a solenoid and a permanent magnet to create a magnetic configuration. By placing a permanent magnet inside or near a solenoid, you can enhance or control the magnetic field generated by the solenoid.

4. What are the advantages of using a solenoid-permanent magnet configuration?

Some advantages of using a solenoid-permanent magnet configuration include increased magnetic field strength, controllability of the magnetic field, and the ability to create complex magnetic configurations for specific applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using a solenoid-permanent magnet configuration?

Some limitations of using a solenoid-permanent magnet configuration include the need for an external power source for the solenoid, potential heat generation due to electrical resistance in the solenoid, and the complexity of controlling the interaction between the solenoid and the permanent magnet.